AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about to purchase the components to build my first MCE...after reviewing a lot of very helpful info from this site, i've come up with the following...

pls let me know if i've left anything out or added too much?

I wanted to hook this baby up by DVI to my sharp aquos TV...i'll have HD via cable box...not OTA...

THanks in advance

Ahanix MCE 601 case - $189.00

ASUS P5AD2-E Intel 925XEmotherboard - $202.00

Intel Pentium 4 3.0E 800MHz FSB Socket 478 - $181.00

Cooler - $45.00

1 GIG RAM - $120.00

nVidia videocard 6600 128 mb - $158.00

200 Gig HD - $110.00

Dual layer DVD NEC 3540A - $65.00

Hauppage WinTV-PVR-500MCE - $131.00

MCE 2005 - $119.00
TOTAL - $1320.00

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
That board is socket 775 while that chip is a 478. Stick with a socket 775 chip. I don't know what ram you're looking at but that only uses the new DDR2 ram, little more expensive but futureproof at least. The board has no AGP slot so make sure the 6600GT is pci-express. Also newegg has that board for $176. Whether or not you overclock I would wander over to extremeoverclocking.com and check out the performance, reliabilty, and issues with that board. Looks like a nice board.

Some people may know different, but unless you need the features of the pvr500 the pvr150 is alot cheaper and uses the next gen encoding chip so encoding is supposedly better.

Some one will probably bash me here but if you plan on playing dvds made from files you've captured with the wintv card(whether tv shows or even from vhs home movies) you WILL NOT be able to play them on a standalone dvd player with MCE. This sucks if you want to capture home movies off vhs , burn to dvd and send them to family. Stick with XP.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would go with the 775 socket with a 955 chipset. The ASUS or ABIT boards will do well. I have the ABIT AW8MAX and its working well so far. they added alot of features to keep the board quiet like the northbridge fanless heat pipe. It also features a 7.1 audio card that has fiber optic spdif out. Works well..

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro
Some one will probably bash me here but if you plan on playing dvds made from files you've captured with the wintv card(whether tv shows or even from vhs home movies) you WILL NOT be able to play them on a standalone dvd player with MCE. This sucks if you want to capture home movies off vhs , burn to dvd and send them to family. Stick with XP.
I'm not going to "bash" you, but I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say. Whatever it is, I'm rather sure it's incorrect or badly worded. :)

Capture MPEG-2 (or DVR-MS aka MPEG-2 in ASF) from a PVR-500 and you can burn either to DVD using MCE 2005 as your OS. To burn Video DVDs, you will need a third party program just as you do with Windows XP Home/Pro. An OEM can pick to ship a set of encoders for recording DVR-MS files to Video DVD's directly from within Media Center using the remote, but that doesn't ship with single OEM copies. Just load up your favorite burning program and it will work just as it does with XP Home/Pro.

For the money, if you are purchasing a new OS for a machines it's generally best to go with MCE 2005 as it costs less then Pro with 99% of it's features+Media Center. :D

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Sorry poor grammar. Yes I'm referring to the dvr-ms format. And yes you "can" use a 3rd party program to convert it regular mpeg2. But have you ever used one? I've tried 3 and even the one click methods take AT LEAST 3 hours of reencoding for every hour of video. Huge waste of time to me. IMO Ditch MCE and you can capture in the right format right off the bat. MS can keep their DRM garbage to themselves.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Cyberlinks PowerProducer will convert a 1 hour DVR-MS to vanilla MPEG-2 in about 3 minues. You can also use good ol' GraphEdit to do the same. Or, you can use a program like DVRMSToolbox to automatically convert DVR-MS to vanilla MPEG-2 (and remove commericals too!). DVD burning with DVR-MS is getting much better, and more and more programs support working with the files quickly. :)

As for your home movies, I would suggest killing all of the eh*.exe processes and just using your favorite capture software for your card to bring the content in. Then just burn that. Since MCE 2005 doesn't do input switching, it's generally better not to use Media Center itself to bring in the content. :)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Well it's good options are finally there for dvr-ms. That was a major stumbling block for me when I looked at it. Even just the option within MCE to turn it off would have been sensible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.