Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For whoever's interested...

Tried last night over at mom's with their amplified RatShack VU190, here's the goods...(using a Samsung SIR-T151)
Cleveland

15 WEWS (ABC), about 60-70% signal strength, great picture, and seemed to come in over about 10 degrees of antenna rotation if not more.

31 WJW (FOX), 50-55% sig

28 WUAB (UPN), couldn't lock on, but DTV light flickered (got a few bars every once in a while)

2 WKYC (NBC), nothing

10 WOIO (CBS), nothing
Youngstown

36 WYTV (ABC), weak station but about 50-60% signal strength. Only problem, no stereo feed at all on non-HD material (see below).
Pittsburgh

25 KDKA (CBS), 60-80% sig. Nice picture

38 WQED (PBS!!), 50-70% sig, 4 channels but only program material on 13-1, but it was indeed HD. Only channel I had to tweak after lock to eliminate dropouts.

42 WCWB (WB), flickered, no lock (didn't try after 8 pm)

43 WPGH (FOX), 30-70%, seemed real flaky, longest channel to lock on, but good picture after lock.

48 WPXI (NBC), 50-70%

51 WTAE (ABC), nothing, but they're still not at their full allowed power AFAIK.

25 and 48 seemed to stay on for about 10-15 degrees of rotation. 38 seemed to be between 5-10. The good news here is one position seemed to allow me to get the 4 Pittsburgh stations I could pull.

36 from Youngstown is only putting out 48 kw, but the transmitter is about 17 miles from my house.

Getting a Winegard HD-9095 this weekend and putting it up at home (5 miles from the 'test' location). More info to follow.

BTW, excellent info can be found at 100000 watts.com . Go to the listings by location, and you will see the transmitter locations and power outputs.

·
Registered
952 Posts
My problem (once I found out how to measure the strengths...duh) is that I get about 70 SS for channel 36 out of Youngstown, OH (I live in Salem, OH) if the doublebowtie is perfectly placed...most positions..almost all...leave about a 2 for SS peaked. I have also repointed the antenna towards Cleveland and was able to get a SS of about 70 or so as well for channel 31 in Cleveland. Neither are viewable though. Just video and audio every few seconds for a split second. Any ideas what I can do?

Here's my scenario: I live in a 2-story apartment..We have the bottom floor and basement to our disposal and can pretty-much do whatver we need to as long as we aren't destructive to the property (ie we have aluminum siding so I mounted our Directv dish on a pole that I put in the ground to save from damaging the home. Anyhow, the TV and receiver are at the extreme NW corner of the house with 3 windows starting at that corner and continuing side-by-side on the north side of that corner..those windows lead to a large open front porch that I thought if the antenna wire was longer I could run to the porch for reception. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Using an HD100 by the way

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
debennett2,

Don't have the outdoor antenna up yet (maybe today), but I can get a viewable picture on 36 with rabbit ears inside!!!

A decent indoor antenna should get you 36 (and 20 soon, but how soon we're not sure).

If you can get 31 out of Cleveland, you might be able to get 15 also, their signal is a bit stronger than 31 and their tower is not much further away from either of us...

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Well now I have the bowtie antenna outside the nearby window sitting on the front porch...a bit of an eyesoar but the only way to attempt any pittsburgh stations before I determine if I need a better antenna. Well pointing towards pittsburgh yields 2 good channels (48 (11) out of Pittsburgh (NBC) and 36 (33) out of Youngstown (ABC..and yes pointing nowhere near Youngstown). I also get a 60-70 SS for channel 25 I believe out of Pitt but no lock without moving the antenna from it's current position. I think I might be having pretty good luck with this bowtie considering the distances. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trying to hide my disappointment...apparently my house is in a baaaad spot for tv reception (as opposed to the test site).

With the 9095 and RatShack amp...

Cleveland channels

15 (WEWS, ABC)...sometimes. Comes in at weird spots in the antenna rotation. Can pick it up 95% of the time, watchable signal about half the time.

31 (WJW, FOX)...just a flicker.

28 (WUAB, UPN)...just a flicker.

About what I would expect, expect I had hoped to get 31. 15 is putting out 870 kW as opposed to 625 from 31 and 200 from 28. All three are about 63 miles from me.

Pittsburgh channels

25 (KDKA, CBS)...comes in big and consistent. (727 kw at 44.7 miles seems to work well).

38 (WQED, PBS)...a weird one. Can't get it (except a flicker) if I point the antenna at Pittsburgh. HOWEVER, if I point the antenna at the side of the factory down the road, I get it big time. Apparently a bank shot.

48 (WPXI, NBC)...not consistent. When I get it, I get it pretty good. But can only get it about half the time.

43 (WPGH, FOX)...worse than 48. Actually have better luck banking it off the factory.

51 (WTAE, ABC) nothing

42 (WCWB, WB)...flickers. Haven't gotten a lock yet.

Oddly enough, I get nothing off of 32 (WTRF, CBS in Wheeling, 57 miles) even though they're supposedly putting out 731 kw.

Can't get 57 (WTOV, NBC in Steubenville, 42 miles), but they're only putting out 210 kw.

36 (WYTV, ABC in Youngstown) I get, but I got with rabbit ears.

Waiting on 46 (PBS) and 20 (NBC) to go live.

BTW, it looks like WQED has gone to 'regular' PBS programming. Going to miss the demo loop.

Also, the Indiana-Kentucky NCAA game is in HD.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I live in "downtown" Salem and am getting 48 and 36 without a hitch using only a radioshack double-bowtie antenna pointed in the general direction of Pittsburgh, which would be a greater distance from 48 as well as 36. I have been able to lock on some Cleveland channel if I point in that direction but can't remember which one. BAscially I'd be happy with just a cbs station added on to what I already get and I'll be happy. Should I try that terk tv55 antenna or is that not gonna help? As it is right now, I have no amplifier or anything of that nature and only the double-bowtie antenna. Thanks

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drcos
Trying to hide my disappointment...apparently my house is in a baaaad spot for tv reception (as opposed to the test site).

With the 9095 and RatShack amp...

Cleveland channels

15 (WEWS, ABC)...sometimes. Comes in at weird spots in the antenna rotation. Can pick it up 95% of the time, watchable signal about half the time.

31 (WJW, FOX)...just a flicker.

28 (WUAB, UPN)...just a flicker.

About what I would expect, expect I had hoped to get 31. 15 is putting out 870 kW as opposed to 625 from 31 and 200 from 28. All three are about 63 miles from me.
I'd pitch the RadioShack amplifier. Most of them cause more problems than they solve. Consider getting a Winegard or Channel Master one. It may also pay to try without the preamp.

How do your analog UHFs look from the same areas? Weak/snowy or stronger with shadows?

A second 9095 might make a huge difference, mounted 3' above or beside (depending on the answer to your analog answer) your current one.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
BAscially I'd be happy with just a cbs station added on to what I already get and I'll be happy.
Try the Terk and see what happens. KDKA seems to be the station with the most signal behind it coming out of Pittsburgh.

The Terk might help you with WEWS out of Cleveland also.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Would it be possible to rig up two separate antenna on either side of my front porch...one pointing at pittsburgh and the other at Cleveland? I already have the bowtie and don't want to buy anything else without forst figuring out what will work the best and cheapest.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
How do your analog UHFs look from the same areas? Weak/snowy or stronger with shadows?
Thought about pitching the RS amp, not sure yet, maybe will try to bypass it tomorrow (but it's COLD out)

The analog UHFs are weak/snowy.

Might try some more height on the thing (only about 3' above the peak of the roof), but would have to get a tower or guyed mast, as the chimney mount is about as high as I can safely go on a chimney mount.

Any suggestions would help...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replaced the RatShack with the CM 7777. Should have gone this way in the first place ! ! !

Cleveland channels...

15 (ABC), can actually point the antenna at Cleveland and get a consistent signal.

28, 31 still no luck yet.

Pittsburgh channels...

25 (CBS), definitely

38 (PBS), can now get pointing at Pittsburgh. Excellent signal.

42 (WB), can almost get it banking off the factory. Actually got a lock on it for the first time, but borderline watchable.

43 (FOX), locks in quick, actually a watchable signal.

48 (NBC), looks a lot better with the CM amp. Hopefully will be consistent.

51 (ABC), huh? Not even a flicker still, but they're only putting out 145 kw.

Youngstown channel...

36 (ABC), can now get consistently with the rooftop antenna. Had to pull in with rabbit ears before.

I would have to say the CM is a much better amp than the RS at this point.

Will probably raise the antenna up in the spring, might even try a 4248 or 4228 CM antenna instead of the Winegard.

Current height in case you're wondering is about 24', which is probably 2-3' above my roofline, but it's chimney mounted and can't really go much higher with this antenna (the 9095 is mounted off the back, so all the weight hangs off one side of the pole).

So at this point, my recommendation for Y-Town area folks would be to go

with the CM amp and a good antenna.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your July update from south of Youngstown OH

Youngstown channel...

36 (33-ABC) good reception most of the time, slow on the 'switch' somewhat often enough to be annoying.

20 (21-NBC) Hey Robert!! Is it 'officially' on yet? Seems to have been on since last night.

46 (45-PBS) not yet, still says October @100000watts which has gone subscription.

Cleveland channels...

15 (5-ABC), most of the time. Actually better signal when raining.

28 (43-UPN), some of the time. Nothing worth watching on UPN.

31 (8-FOX), also some of the time.

2 (3-NBC), don't have a VHF antenna

Pittsburgh channels...

25 (CBS), can actually get a watchable signal about half of the antenna rotation !

38 (13-PBS), good signal most of the time

42 (??-WB), borderline watchable, but they don't throw the switch on any WB HD programming AFAIK, all upconverted SD

43 (53-FOX), sometimes a watchable signal but as the same company owns the WB, no switch on the 'Faux Widescreen' it's all upconverted SD

48 (11-NBC), consistent except when it's raining (I got a little tree trimming to do but might not have to if 21 is 'officially' on now)

51 (4-ABC), still nothing, just an occaisional flicker.

50 (40-religious), watchable signal tonight

Wheeling-Stuebenville

32 (7-CBS) nothing (not broadcasting at full power)

57 (9-NBC) nothing (not broadcasting at full power)

Canton

17 is on with four subchannels, another religious station.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.