AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sold on the new Sony XBR910 coming in July but I hear nothing but good things when it comes to the Samsung DLP sets. I do have a few questions.

1.Since DLP does only 720 and converts the rest is this a good thing or a bad thing? I know most HDTV is and will be 1080.

2.I would like to go with the 43inch Samsung DLP but I heard that there are some better Chips in the 50inch 507 model.

3.How is the Picture quality of the DLP? Is it worth it?

4.I want the TV for watching Digital Cable(HDTV soon), Xbox and PS2, and DVD movies. Which one would you get for these reasons.

Please tell me why you would go the direction you are stating. Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wezzerman
I was sold on the new Sony XBR910 coming in July but I hear nothing but good things when it comes to the Samsung DLP sets. I do have a few questions.

1.Since DLP does only 720 and converts the rest is this a good thing or a bad thing? I know most HDTV is and will be 1080.
It is just a thing. Not really good or bad. Sure it would be nice to have 1920 by 1080 progressive but it will cost more. Remember that it is converting 1080i to 720p so the Samsung is deinterlacing the signal. This only really applies to HDTV. For DVDs you aren't going to get any more 'real' resolution from 1080i or 1080p than you are going to get from 720p.

Quote:

2.I would like to go with the 43inch Samsung DLP but I heard that there are some better Chips in the 50inch 507 model.
The HLN467 and HLN567 sets which are coming out in a month or two will be the 'latest and greatest' of the Samsung DLP line. They have the same hardware on the inside as the other HLN sets but they will have the very latest (ie newer) firmware. Those on the forum that saw the HLN467 at the April 2 Samsung launch in New York where very impressed with the picture. If you were going to wait for the new GWIIIs you still can and compare the picture to the Tantus Samsung DLPs (467 and 567, 46 and 56 inch sets.)

Quote:

3.How is the Picture quality of the DLP? Is it worth it?
Unfortunately there isn't a clearly better set between the two designs. The best is what you like the best. I know this answer sucks but it is the situation we are in right now. The best you can do is learn more about the pluses and minuses of the two styles of sets and pay attention to these when you evaluate the TVs

Quote:

4.I want the TV for watching Digital Cable(HDTV soon), Xbox and PS2, and DVD movies. Which one would you get for these reasons.

Please tell me why you would go the direction you are stating. Thanks
Either design will do fine with these sources. One thing to remember is that the component inputs into the Samsung are either 480i/480p (basically for DVD players) or 480p to 1080i for HDTV or the XBox after you change its default output. This means that the Sony has an edge on component inputs.

The Samsung however has a DVI input that is a purely digital path coupled with the upcoming generation of DVD players with DVI-HDCP output will produce a very nice image for not a lot of cash. Sort of a HTPC without all the trouble. I would add that the Sony does have a DVI input so it can use these new DVD players. It does convert the input into an analog signal before it processes it tho. That said it still seems to produce a great picture from the scaled DVD to DVI input.

It can be hard to find a place that has a good setup to preview SD TV and digital cable. Lots of places have DVD and HDTV but those will almost always make the TV look good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.