AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get up the learning curve here and I would greatly appreciate any expert opinions on the future of hard disc drive based entertainment -- music, movies and games.

I recently received an email containing a DVD preview clip which, although hardly HDTV, seemed less jittery and much higher quality than video I am accustomed to seeing on the web.

Does this mean, therefore, that everything -- at some point -- will migrate to hard drives and DVD, SACD, CD, PS II, X-Box, etc will all live on gigantic hard drives and their dedicated devices made obsolete?

As soon as there is sufficient storage, why wouldn't all of this entertainment just live on a hard drive for high quality, instantaneous random access to anything we want to watch or listen to?

Will the industry resist this? Will audiophile/videophile standards be possible or is that still 10+ years away? Would HDTV or SACD require such huge amounts of storage that the storage would still be prohibitively expensive? Is there another forum or website where I can further research this topic? Thank you very much.

PS

In the meantime, how do I convert DVD scenes or chapters to hard drive on a windows based environment? Does this require loads of memory for decent quality?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simjedi

Thank you. Fascinating, and I look forward to reading everything on that site.

For now, is there another thread or can someone explain the basics to me for movies?

Does a DVD writer program store the file in the same way that a CD burner stores an uncompressed WAV file, before turning it into a cheap MP3?

How much memory is required to store a full length movie in uncompressed and compressed formats etc. Does that mean I can load a movie or two onto a laptop instead of schlepping external drives, DVDs etc on a plane flight?

Or are we still a couple of years and a few hundred gig away?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.