AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep going back and forth whether or not to upgrade my receiver to get the lossless codecs.

I know it's difficult to advise on this topic, but I'd like at least your honest opinion. I'm currently using the following equipment:

Samsung 46" LCD 1080p

Panasonic DMP-BD35K 1080p Blu-ray Player

Yamaha RX-V496 5.1 receiver (DD, DTS)

2 x Klipsch Synergy SF-1 Floorstanding Loudpeaker

1 x Klipsch Synergy SC.5 Center Channel Speaker

2 x Klipsch Synergy SS.5 Rear Surround Speakers

1 x Klipsch Synergy KSW-10 Subwoofer

My system sounds quite good IMO, I think my speakers are of good quality and sound. Would it be worth the ~$300-$450 to upgrade my receiver to get TrueHD and Master Audio? How big of a difference would it be on the system above?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
If you watch alot of BD movies I think you will be very happy with the new HD

formats.

CD

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply CD
Anyone out there with a similar speaker setup and old Yamaha receiver that upgraded? How big of a change in quality was it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
You're asking the wrong crowd whether you should upgrade or not. For most of us, it's not whether to upgrade but when and what component.

I can't speak to your equipment as I haven't owned any of it, but one thing to consider is that many people neglect room treatments when considering upgrading. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
While i am all for upgrading early and often...you have to be honest with yourself...you have a $99 center channel speaker...and a 10" subwoofer. A new AVR is not your first upgrade, i would first get a real CC and subwoofer. The start thinking about enjoying lossless codec's..again JMO.

·
Registered
475 Posts
agreed, I don't think it would be cost effective to upgrade. I'd put the upgrade money into a speaker fund. The main reason is simply that the number of movies with uncompressed audio is still fairly low. If you spend $500 on the upgrade and only use it for 10 uncompressed rentals, that's $50 per showing!

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I feel the improvement to lossless is equivalent to the improvement from 480p to 1080p. More detail and better dynamic range. Klipsch synergy speakers are going to allow you to hear lossless very well. I would say that the area where you might want some augmentation would be the subwoofer. The lossless codecs with improved dynamic range put very low frequencies into the LFE channel. Having a sub that goes down to 5 hz is a great addition for home theater and techno music.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At the time of purchase (about 2001) that center channel speaker was not $99 :p Anyhow, that is definitely a possibility. I'm posting this from work so I'll have to confirm that sub is indeed the correct model I have. The others I'm sure of.

What things should I be looking for in a good center channel if I were to upgrade that? I'd prefer to stay with Klipsch for uniformity.

Thank you for the feedback guys it is appreciated.

On the subwoofer feedback, I haven't found a reason for upgrading it as it delivers quite powerful bass, enough to shake my walls. I love Klipsch speakers

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaezorblue /forum/post/15519684

At the time of purchase (about 2001) that center channel speaker was not $99 :p Anyhow, that is definitely a possibility. I'm posting this from work so I'll have to confirm that sub is indeed the correct model I have. The others I'm sure of.

What things should I be looking for in a good center channel if I were to upgrade that? I'd prefer to stay with Klipsch for uniformity.

Thank you for the feedback guys it is appreciated.

On the subwoofer feedback, I haven't found a reason for upgrading it as it delivers quite powerful bass, enough to shake my walls. I love Klipsch speakers

If you are happy with your speakers don't listen to the naysayers...anyone who would criticize you for the discounted cost of a speaker is just talking out their A** anyway.

CD

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do indeed have the KSW-10 subwoofer. It seems adequate for the size of my small-ish living room.

Anyone have a similar receiver/speakers that upgraded?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog /forum/post/15519768

If you are happy with your speakers don't listen to the naysayers...anyone who would criticize you for the discounted cost of a speaker is just talking out their A** anyway.

CD

Or trying to save him the expense of an unnecessary upgrade...that CC has two cheap 4" plastic driver's and an even cheaper plastic tweeter...i don't care if it cost him $400 new, it still matched with a 10" sub does not seem like a system that would benefit from lossless audio

JMO

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I'd say the subwoofer is where you'll see the most improvement for a given dollar amount... something as inexpensive as a BIC H-100 or PA-120 would be a big step up in depth and output... something like an SVS PB-10 would add even more depth and impact.

I've done some comparisons in my system, and I don't hear a night/day difference in lossless and lossy... comparing TrueHD and DTS-MA sountracks (receiver decoded by SR805 over HDMI) to DD and DTS (receiver decoded by SR805 over optical) I can say there are very few scenes of any movies that I could hear a difference. My speakers are fairly detailed while still being neutral (Swans 6.1s, C3, 2.1s) and it seems high-pitched effects (blades swinging, helicopters bullets whizzing) gained some clarity, but that's about it. I'd recommend anyone thinking about making an upgrade JUST for lossless codecs to re-evaluate other parts of their system that might see more improvement given the same budget.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I don't understand (but I'm willing to learn) is how a spending several hundred on a subwoofer would improve my bluray movie watching experience? If my sub already is quite powerful (I don't have it set anywhere near max Level)

Maybe a better question would be: Is the clarity/realism of the voices and sound effects a huge difference for the dts or DD steam (the higher bitrates of bluray disc streams), when compared to TrueHD or MA?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
When you hear a subwoofer with clean extension into the lower 20hz region you'll begin to realize what you were missing. Most commercial subs make huge compromises in both clean output and low extension to fit in a smaller footprint. They tend to be over-driven and under-ported leading to a bloated mid bass and often times chuffing. The drivers they use are low excursion and often times meet their mechanical limits well before reference levels.

Your sub may be loud, but that doesn't mean it's either powerful or has meaningful clean extension. There's a whole world below 29hz, and that's where the impact of most movie soundtracks exists.

In my system, I would GLADLY do without lossless audio codecs and make due with DD/DTS if that meant accommodating a great subwoofer.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I went from Yamaha RX-V992 to a Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX to an Onkyo 905. I have Klipsch KSF10.5 Towers, KSW200 Sub, 4 KSFS5 Surrounds, and KSFC5 Center. I certainly did not notice a night and day difference. I do like the HDMI switching and upconverting that my other two AVRs lacked.

Don't let anyone put down your system. If you like your speakers stay with them. If you spend enough on any one area of your system sure you will notice benefits. The question is, how much money are you willing to spend for a given improvement. You reach a point of diminishing return. I love my Klipsch and will be hard pressed to replace them unless I come into a lot of money. I don't find myself feeling that my audio is lacking. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

Good Luck

Stace

1 - 16 of 16 Posts