AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just updated my speakers and could use a great reference disc. Way back when (dating myself here), it used to be The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over (on CD) that people were using to demo their systems. I'm looking for an amazing blu-ray disc -- ideally in DTS-HD MA -- of a concert or musical performance where you can basically hear the vocalist/instruments as though you were sitting there in the audience. Any ideas?

Thx in advance!

Matt

·
Super Moderator
16,424 Posts
Reactions: mylan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for any duplicity -- I somehow missed that other thread about concerts. My focus here though is on quality above all else. I'll look into your suggestion on that band. After scanning other threads and forums (ie blu-ray.com) I decided to first go full circle and try:

...since it apparently has amazing sound. I'm just stumped that there aren't more recent shows/releases utilizing this technology. If Roger Waters knew what was good for him, he'd make a blu ray of his 2+ year "The Wall" tour and create it in the highest quality possible.

Although hmm... A Google search just turned up:

Roger Waters - The Wall Live tour film

With footage shot in July 2011 in Athens, Greece, and more recently in Buenos Aires, Argentina this year, Roger and his team are hard at work preparing a DVD and Blu-ray of this stunning show. As yet, no details are forthcoming on what will be included on the disc(s) and also no indication has been given as to a release date. We would think though that it might be around March/April (2014). More details as we get them.

·
Premium Member
11,967 Posts
Dave Matthews And Tim Reynolds (probably one of the best sounding concerts I've ever heard)

John Mayer Live in LA (And I don't typically like his stuff)

Live from Abbey Road Studios (if you can find it, this is an AMAZING COLLECTION)

The Police (the one from Rio, can't remember the name)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Return to Forever: Live at Montreaux

Jeff Beck: Live at Ronnie Scott's

San Francisco Symphony 100 year gala

Adele: Live at Royal Albert Hall

A few great ones from different genres.

Lee

·
Registered
457 Posts
David Foster and Friends is a fantastic concert bluray for both audio and video.

The Eagles Hell Freezes over is another favorite of mine. I also agree with Kris Deering that the Dave Mathews disc is great, although i would not say its the best i ever heard.

The Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's is very good too, if you are into Jeff Beck.

I dont agree with the previous poster about Adele Royal Albert Hall... to my ears, it is very compressed, and the band, especially the drums are recorded at a level too far below Adele's voice. Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I wasn't that impressed with the Adele disc. I can't watch it due to the constant jump cuts during the performances. Sound was good but Dave Matthews Tim Reynolds is a great disc that is a live recording. Return to Forever has a great performance by the 4 of them but to me the instruments are playing like the old 4 channel discrete discs. Instruments are mixed behind you. David Gilmour live at the Royal Albert hall is another great concert disc. Mixed properly with audience and hall ambiance in the rear channels.

·
Premium Member
11,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1  /t/1524531/your-favorite-music-blu-ray-reference-disc#post_24545710

I also agree with Kris Deering that the Dave Mathews disc is great, although i would not say its the best i ever heard.

You probably just don't use very good speakers......oh wait.

·
Registered
22,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy  /t/1524531/your-favorite-music-blu-ray-reference-disc#post_24540023

I like the the Legends of Jazz: Showcase. It has multiple sound options, includeing Dolby TrueHD.

]

That disc is almost impossible to buy now.

Another vote for Return to Forever: Returns - Live at Montreux, it will knock your socks off.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Chris Botti : Live in Boston

Michael Jackson: This is it.

Return to Forever: Live at Montreux

Diana Krall - Live in Rio

Chicago with Earth Wind & Fire

Stevie Wonder: Live at Last

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Besides that Police recording, I'd recommend also altho maybe not the OP's taste,

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing

Steven Wilson - Get All You Deserve

Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize

Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First off, _thank you_ for all of these recommendations! I'm really interested to check out:

Dave Matthews at Radio City

1 - 20 of 34 Posts