AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to build a great DVD collection of best Horror movies available on DVD. What I would like to know is your favorite horror flick currently available on DVD, whether because of audio, visuals or simply the re-creation of an old flick...

Thanks.......

Tim

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
This question is raised fairly frequently, and many threads could be pulled out of the archives with a search.

I'll mention just three B&W's that are particularly distinguished:

Robert Wise's 1963 version of The Haunting and

Anchor Bay's great double feature issue of two great British films from the 1940's, Dead of Night and The Queen of Spades.

·
Registered
253 Posts
John Carpenter's "The Thing: Collector's Edition" is THE FAVORITE of mine. Here's an interesting tidbit:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) There are no women in this flick, IIRC. It is a serious horror movie.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Well now, after the B&W's, there's "The Exorcist". Get the newest DVD with the new footage. This is classic horror.

Man, I'm thinking of what else to list but there's too many! I'll save them for everyone else that chimes in....

Cary

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The Ring. That movie scared the crap out of me. A movie I would NOT reccomend would be house of 1000 corpses. I got it on a whim at blockbuster on a buy 2 get 1 free deal. Heard it was good- it isn't.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Essential

Newly coming wrong turn

House of 1000 Corpses

Nightmare on Elm Street

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Halloween

Friday the 13th (do not buy it yet new ones will be coming out)

The Thing

Near Dark

This is just what I would start with as essential there are a bunch of other titles to reccomend, but I think these are a good place to start with some new and old.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Cube is fun.

Jeepers Creepers is quite tame, but a nice viewing experience.

In the Mouth of Maddness.....gotta luv it!

Red Dragon and Manhunter [if you've read the book]

Final Destination 2 for nice picture quality and sound.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Session No 9 is probably the only genuinely scary film I have watched in years...

Although 'horror' is probably a bit strong I recently enjoyed the origional diabolique

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I enjoyed Fright Night.

Chris

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
a second for "The Ring"...I'm a 33 year old man that would not go downstairs to get a drink after watching this one!

·
Registered
587 Posts
The Ring

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
So many good ones, I think this is my favorite category:

Frailty - my wife hated it but I thought it was a great movie

Near Dark

Opera, Suspiria

Dead Alive - not really horror as it is not scary, but it is the most blood-soaked, splatter movie ever

all of Hank527's list are great

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
would hardly call frailty horror, but it was interesting nonetheless...

the ring wasn't scary for me, just creepy...certainly had great atmosphere though.

one that hasn't made it to the list is the original Hellraiser...truly unique visual style, quite grotesque, and a great transfer by Anchor Bay (THX certified, 1.85 anamorphic, dolby digital)...be sure to get this version though, as the old version is riddled with edge enhancement and has only dolby 2 channel sound.

my .02

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Too many to think of them all..... :)

In no particular order......

Evil Dead (first version only, and the only one that was scary, and make sure it's the 4:3 version (widescreen version is just cropped to 16x9.)

Horror of Dracula

The Blob

Fright Night is a great movie, but a pretty poor DVD

House with William Katt and George Wendt, classic (and a great SE DVD too!)

:)

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Abbot & Costello meet Frankenstein (also has Werewolf & Dracula with Classic Universal actors)

followed by A&C meet the Mummy

They just don't make them like they used to.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Alien - The Director's Cut is due out on Halloween. I also liked Alien Ressurection alot, though I may be in the minority. And The Fog though I've yet to see it on DVD.

Another of my favorites, The Keep by Michael Mann, is rumored to be out on DVD either later this year or early 2004.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
EX

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
OR

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
CIST