AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I both like to watch old John Wayne movies, and other westerns as well. Do you have a favorite that you would recommend? One with a good transfer to DVD, plus nice audio?

~ Jay

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Some of my favorite Westerns include SILVERADO, fun movie, great PQ and sound.

UNFORGIVEN, Clint in top form.

I may get burned for this but I really enjoyed the YOUNG GUNS films.

TOMBSTONE is a modern classic. Val Kilmer turned out his best performance as Doc Holiday....well besides playing Jim Morrison in THE DOORS.

Herm

·
Registered
27,195 Posts
Blazing Saddles............

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
If you like John Wayne,check out some of the Anthony Mann wexterns of the fifties.with Jimmy Stewart.Bend of the River is a personal favorite,also Winchester 73.The Far Country.Next to Wayne Stewart was probably the best at seeming authenic in westerns0an entirely different persona than most his films.(and nothing like his role in Liberty Valence)

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I've never been a big "old school" western fan but I really enjoy Silverado as well, along with the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns. Oh, and Magnificent Seven is a terrific film, even if I still prefer Seven Samurai!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't think I've seen Silverado yet, will have to put it on the list.

~ Jay

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
My wife is always watching the 3 Lonesome Dove DVDs.

Shane is good, but the DVD allows you to freeze frame it and you can see the HORRIBLE continuity blunder they made in the fight where the guy splashed his drink on Shane's shirt. The wet spot keeps moving and growing and shrinking between scenes during the fight. Also, you can see all the "missed" punches in the brawls. Kind of ruins the film a bit.

Ride With The Devil is a Civil War/Western kind of movie; again, a favorite of my wife's.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Rio Bravo John Wayne, Dean Martin's finest hour, Ricky Nelson and Angie Dickinson both looking suitably androgynous, and with Howard Hawks at the helm... you simply can't do any better.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
As already stated, Silverado and Tombstone are the two latest to become classics. The Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns are always good. As for John Wayne, I have El Dorado, Rooster Cogburn, and True Grit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tombstone, Silverado, and Unforgiven from the modern era. Let's throw in Dead Man for its quirkiness although not on a par with the aforementioned 3

Great John Wayne 5 disc box set from Wal-Mart... was $47.88 a few months back, (Liberty Valance, The Shootist, El Dorado, Sons of Katie Elder, and True Grit). Rio Bravo, The Searchers, Five Card Stud, Hombre, and Clint's series with Josey Wales as the standout of the "American" spaghetti westerns.

Long Riders deserves a mention even though it was made for TV.

Classics I'm waiting for on DVD... Firecreek, Warlock, The Tin Star, and of course Once Upon a Time in the West.

·
Registered
278 Posts
One of my favorites is The Outlaw Josey Wales with Clint Eastwood.

Tombstone (Vista Series) is a great transfer. Not to mention great performances by Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer.

BTW, Josey Wales was NOT a spaghetti western.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:
One with a good transfer to DVD, plus nice audio?
There are a lot of great westerns out there that just don't have particularily good transfers. Most of what is below is mediocre. Don't get me wrong, some of it is excellent for its age, but it's not going to live up to a recent movie like Tombstone. They all happen to be significantly better films though, IMHO.

Quote:
I've never been a big "old school" western fan but I really enjoy Silverado as well, along with the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns. Oh, and Magnificent Seven is a terrific film, even if I still prefer Seven Samurai!
"Fistful of Dollars", the Clint Eastwood flick that mothered all spaghetti westerns was a remake of Yojimbo, another one of Kurosawa's classic films. "For a Few Dollars More" is also a good film. "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" is simply amazing. THe current transfer isn't bad, but apparantly a new restored version is nearing completion. There haven't been any plans for a DVD release announced yet, but I'm sure there will be eventually.

If you can take a change of setting, do check out Kurosawa's Samurai films, "Yojimbo" and "Seven Samurai" especially. They were inspired by early American westerns and heavily influenced later westerns in turn. Toshiro Mifune is the ultimate badass. Clint does a good job, but Mifune was the real "man with no name". I will warn you that the condition of these films on DVD is particularily bad. The film is full of scratches and dirt. The sound is harsh mono that has some nasty distortion. Criterion did put some effort into cleaning up what they had to work with, but the restoration efforts here are not up to the same level of excellence as even more recent Criterion releases. Being Criterion discs, these are a bit pricey too. They are still required viewing.

There was a recent special edition of "High Noon" that came out recently. It's 4:3 B&W, and some have quibbled over the transfer, but the Searchers looks a lot worse. (Old transfer of film stock with serious color problems) It's a must see though. One of the most powerful westerns ever made.

"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", starring Paul Newman and Robert Redford, is worth checking out too.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
"The Professionals"

long before Columbia/Tri Star decided to only give their best efforts to the superbit imprinted titles, they released this mid 60s classic in a beautiful widescreen disc.

as for the movie itself, you get a cast of real men's men including;

Burt Lancaster

Lee Marvin

Robert Ryan

Woody Strode

Jack Palance

and for the female lead, the brick $*@^house built, Claudia Cardinale.

the premise of the story is that Mexican Bandit Palance has kidnapped the hot young wife of an old business tycoon, and is holding her for ransom in his mountain stronghold.

Four mercenaries are recruited to rescue her.

Its actually a pretty 'mature' film for an action adventure, with a little more substance and wit than you usually find in this genre (at least back then).

credit for this goes to Richard Brooks who also did Bite The Bullet another quais-western that also is on a nice looking disc from Columbia and is also highly recommend.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My top ones as also reported would have to be...

The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

The outlaw Josey Wales.

Jeramia Johnson.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My wife, who doesn't like westerns, really enjoyed Quigley Down Under. PQ wasn't bad on this one, either. This, along with Silverado, are two of my favorites.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thebland,

A classic I forgot about, thanks.

lonwolf615,

I will have to check out Anthony Mann, don't know if I ever seen any of his. Thanks

eweiss,

I think Lonesome Dove was the best made for TV western. I have it VHS but might rent it on DVD. Thanks

Shaded Dogfood,

Rio Bravo is a classic, I have it on VHS, I hope to get the DVD version. Thanks

smithb, Don't have any Clint on hand, it would be a good move to some. Thanks

Cor,

Thanks for your input, Clint certainly created an "industry" with those types of westerns.

ckolchak,

Never heard of the Professional, I hope Netflix has it. Thanks

Phat Phreddy,

Never seen Jeramia Johnson, I heard of it and must put it on my list. Thanks

Gargoyle_AA2,

I'm sure my wife likes Tom Sellick, will have to get that one. Thanks

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
IMO the best Westerns ever made are all on DVD:

Shane - Alan Ladd, Jack Palance.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - the best manifestation of the John Wayne legend. John Ford directs also with Lee Marvin and James Stewart. Great transfer in widescreen black and white circa 1960.

The Searchers - John Ford and John Wayne team up again this time in glorious color. Decent transfer. Spectacular cinematograpy and possibly Wayne's best performance as the complicated Ethan.

High Noon - Great movie but I haven't seen the DVD yet.

Red River - This is the best of the Howard Hawks/John Wayne colaborations. It was re-made later by the same film maker and actor as Rio Bravo and El Dorado, but, although good, niether of these are as good as Red River. This is the one with Montgomery Cliff.

Unforgiven - The only modern western that deserves to be on this list. Eastwood at his peak as both director and actor with some terrrific supporting performances by Gene Hackman and Richard Harris. Recently watched the SE DVD and it was great.

Other westerns that I like: The Professionals, The Shootist, Silverado, Tombstone, The Wild Bunch, Stagecoach, Pale Rider, A Man Called Horse, Will Penny, The Magnificent Seven.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Unforgiven - The new special edition is a must have. The transfer is a big improvement from the original release.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - This is without a doubt at the top of my wish list for upcoming releases. The now complete Restored Edition will be shown in theaters, first in New York this May, and then in Los Angeles in June. American Movie Classics will be broadcasting the new version without commercial interruption on May 10th...running time is aprox. 180 minutes.

Some upcoming releases worth noting;

April 22:

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral - Early reviews are saying the transfer looks great.

April 29:

Little Big Man
A Man Called Horse

May 6:

Rooster Cogburn
Shenandoah
The War Wagon

June 6:

Chisum
Cahill: U.S. Marshall

Howie

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
John M.,

I like your list of movies except for one...Unforgiven.

I may be alone here, but I thought it was a shallow movie. Don't get me wrong, I like all the actors involved but had a hard time with Eastwoods role. During a scene where he's out at his homestead, he tries to get on a horse and falls off! What's the deal with that! Because he's an ex-gun fighter he chooses to walk everywhere? Now I know you can nit-pick every movie ever made, but this one is suppose to be a classic. I may be alone but it just didn't do it for me.

~ Jay

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Digital Howie,

I look forward to May and June!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.