AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been hashed before but not quite this way. What I would like to know from everyone is what is the single best DVD you know of in terms of PQ. This answer would represent that disc which you use in your mind as the "gold standard ": that DVD that you compare all others to when judging a given DVDs PQ. I would like everyone to only list one disc!

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Superbit 5th Element

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rice Rocket
The Pledge--the sharpest, yet film-like transfer with zero EE. THat's exceluding any animated feature of course.
The Pledge has some EE. Also noise reduction

at times. Looking very good nonetheless.

MH

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The Fifth Element (Superbit)

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Sorry, didn't read your original post all the way through and had listed four (5th Element SB, 2001, Pledge and Starship troopers)

If I had to pick one...Starship Troopers

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
After watching HDTV for two years, all DVDs look pretty bad. :)

The best of the bad in my library is probably 'Gladiator'.

Frank

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
That's very interesting. Since after watching DVDs for a few years I felt that HDTV looks pretty bad. :)

--Jerome

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Nothing I can really hang a hat on.

JEff

·
Registered
24,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This movie consistantly takes a beating for the fact that it is a poor movie and it is! My vote is for Lost in Space. This DVD is as close to HD as I've seen. It is extremely clean in terms of EE and other artifacts. The depth of black is all the way down to the floor, and the color and overall detail is the best out there. This is one of the first DVDs so one wonders why we see so much EE now. When I see any other DVDs this is my reference.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Although probably not the best adult DVD, but I think Stuart Little is about the best I have seen as far as picture quality. I use it as a demo DVD.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
What I look for in a DVD that I like the plot, actor/actress is the soundtrack.

4:3 and Digital Dolby Mono I could care less about it. Now if the movie is in my favorite 2:35.1 ratio, I will look more favorably on it. If the movie has the above ratio and Dolby Stereo minimum 2.0

I will buy it.

No matter how much I like the movie, for example "Somewhere In Time" 4:3 and mono soundtrack I won't buy it. Chances are I already have the sound track in Stereo or Dolby Stereo, I do not want to hear a mono movie. I have more sound tracks than most people, because I have more time on my hands than most people my age have. Both wide screen, stereo or Dolby Stereo must be on the DVD. I have been spoiled and this year getting a wide screen HDTV I am spoiled rotten!:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.