AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted my problem on a different thread but I think I should have posted it here. I will try and make this as short as possible. I am in the process of building my new home theater in a basement of my home. The contractor that is building the theater made the height area of the screen area too small while the length is correct. I am new to the home theather world and just discovered the 2.35 to 1 area. I am pretty much at the end of my budget. I purchased the Optima H77, and was wondering what (and where) I need to purchase to accomplish the wider screen. thanks so much for any advice you can lend.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
What is the size of the screen?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The size I am looking at 112 diagonal. It measures 109.7 inches wide by 50.5 inches high which will be the perfect size need to fit for the theater. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I need to purchase Isco, Prismasonic, Panamorph which Anamorphic lens please let me know which one without breaking the bank. Thanks again...

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I would make him fix it. It isn't likely they made it 2.35:1 by accident. sirquack is correct you should supply measurements.

See the sticky "Certified product list for constant height 235:1 use" thread for some hints.

He says the Momitsu : V880 DVD player with latest firmware is needed to do the vertical stretch, although I am quite sure the upper end samsungs will do it too. Check your projector first. He says in the guide the H79 will do the stretch. If it does then you don't need a new dvd player. Then you just need a lens. Panamorph had one on sale. Maybe there are some left. Otherwise I would select the prismatic (they just had a powerbuy last month.) They have some good measurement tools on their site. One thing is you have to use minimum zoom for the reasonable priced lenses to work. Thus you have to consider placement. Myself I have the panamorph which is vertical compression. This means my screen is smaller and so I had to move the projector back. I had the lens before I considered this. Otherwise I would have gotten the Prismatic horizontal stretch model, which would make my screen bigger. Let me know the size of your screen and the range of distances you can place the projector.

Warren.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
You beat me. Ok, you aren't quite 2.35, but close enough. Your height will be 46.7 with 2.35, but you can easily mask the 4 inches in height difference. You want a vertical compression lens for sure. Can you put your projector at 20 feet? That screen is too small otherwise.

Warren.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are the best, I just measured and the screen is approx 18 feet from wjere the projector will be mounted. How much do the panamorphs run. Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
That will work nicely. You will need just a slight bit of zoom. Panamorph has a closeout model for cheap. Check their web site.

Warren.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Panamorphs are the cheapest. The next up are the Prismasonics then ISCO.

If you can afford the Prismasonic, that'll be your best bet. They have a passthrough mode so you dont have to move the lens when watching different ratio movies. For constant height look at the Horizontal series lenses.

Alternatively if you wanted to go with a Panamorph Vertical lens look at the P752. You can still do constant height with vertical lenses you just have to either scale everything narrower than 2.35 down or move the lens and physically zoom the projector for 16x9.

Panamorph is your cheapest option, Prismasonic is your most convienient without breaking the bank by moving up to the ISCO's.

For 18' throw distance and 119" screen width, you'll be fine with either horizontal or vertical lenses. The throw ratios are plenty fro that size screen.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Just so you understand, with the horizonal stretch (which, as Tukkis says, would be convient) you need to move the projector to 15' from the screen. I have an iScan HD+ external scaler so I just keep my lens in place and the scaler makes it work. The thing is that device cost as much as the prismatic lens. The prismatic lens is better quality than the closeout Panamorph too, although the higher end panamorphs are good too. You said your budget was running out, but hopefully you can swing the prismatic H500.

Warren.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After reading most of the threads on the 2.35 board I believe I will be doing myself a great injustice if I do not pursue the 2.35. I just got on the primasonic site and I see the Primasonic H-500 silver is well within my bidget (849.00 US). Warren is the 15 feet distant a recommendation that is set in stone. If it is I think that would be perfect for the setup in my theater. I could go as far back as 18 but I have stadium seating and the projector would be just a few feet from the back row. Do I need to purchase additional hardware to mount the lens in front of the projector.

I will be using the projector for mainly watching sporting events (NFL package-DirectTV, boxing, etc) and movies. Is there any additonal equipment that I would absolutely need.

If there was such a thing as a cyber beer I would owe you guys at least four rounds thanks again...

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
At min zoom (which you want for the lens) 15' gives you the height you need for the horizontal lens (since the height stays the same.) 18' would give you the width you would need for a vertical lens (since the width stays the same.) Further back with the H500 and you would be too big for the screen.

The lens should have the hardware needed. I used metal brackets mounted to the projector mount to hold my lens.

Warren.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok Warren this will be the last question :confused: , with the H500 will I need to remove the lens if there is non 2.35 images that will be displayed. I ask the questions because I seem to remember reading that they have a pass through mechanism where I would not have to take the lens off. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:
After reading most of the threads on the 2.35 board I believe I will be doing myself a great injustice if I do not pursue the 2.35. I just got on the primasonic site and I see the Primasonic H-500 silver is well within my bidget (849.00 US). Warren is the 15 feet distant a recommendation that is set in stone. If it is I think that would be perfect for the setup in my theater. I could go as far back as 18 but I have stadium seating and the projector would be just a few feet from the back row.
15 feet is the maximum you can have it back to achieve the required 16x9 image size before the horizontal lens. (84" x 47")

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

Quote:
Ok Warren this will be the last question, with the H500 will I need to remove the lens if there is non 2.35 images that will be displayed. I ask the questions because I seem to remember reading that they have a pass through mechanism where I would not have to take the lens off. Thanks again
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/2new_housing.jpg

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yep, look at the projection calculator at min zoom (default) and move the projector distance slider back and forth. You can see the screen width and height. Since the lens stretches the width it is the height you need to make sure works and consider the width 2.35xheight. This gives you a max distance of 15 feet for your screen. Further back and the image will be too big.

Warren.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok the lens is on the way, can you now recommend a mid-level DVD player that works well with the 2.35 ratio. I want to pay no more that 5-600 buck. Thanks again fellas

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally got around to finishing mounting the lens and setting up the theater. Without a doubt it is 200% better than I thought it would be. Thanks a lot Tukkis and Warren for your great advice. I will post some pics once it is totally complete. I don't see why anyone would not go with the 2:35. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
692 Posts
With the Optoma H77 any DVD player will work for 2.35:1. All of the Optoma H7x Projectors have a letterbox aspect mode that does the required stretch for 2.35:1 movies with an anamorphic lens. What I would suggest is getting a DVD player that will upconvert to 720p over a DVI or HDMI connection. This will allow you to send the PJ a digital signal at it's native resolution. There are many good players at reasonable prices that will do this. Some options are the Oppo, Panasonic s97 or s77, Pioneer dv59avi or upcomin dv79avi. I personally chose the Pioneer because of its ability to us ilink for all audio formats and it doesn't display any MB, which can be a problem with the first two. You could look in the dvd forum for more help.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Good point gobrigavitch.

One problem with using the projector to do the stretch over the samsung 950 is the subtitles are often in the black bars on a standard dvd player. The projector will then push them off the screen. My Panasonic s97 lets you move them, but not the right way. If I set my output just right most of them are ok, but some still aren't. When that happens I wish I had got the samsung instead of the S97.

Warren.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.