AVS Forum banner

2461 - 2480 of 5119 Posts

·
Registered
19,282 Posts
Yes, the rear subs are so powerful that if you leave the gains matched you will never notice the front subs. In your case it was even worse because you had equal subs near field. I have just 4 behind me and it feels just like running my system before 12 dBs hot. I tried running the near field subs 10 dBs hot and it was too much pressure. 5 dBs hot works great though. I just hooked up a little baby peavy IPR2 3000 because it was local and wanted to see if I could run the rear subs with it. 5 dBs hot and it was just fine. It feels like a POS compared to the Sanway though but provides lots of power. It reminds me of the old Emotiva DC1 with the big blue lights. Anyways I am also trying out a yamaha reciever as well. Yamaha vs Pioneer elite. The pioneer elite has a better sub response but the yammie has a better speaker response. I have to hook up the clone to it to see how the yammie rolls off in comparison. The yammie and peavy together have a -5 dBs point of 4 hz. My pioneer and clone was -5 dBs at 3 hz. So I will find out if it is the yammie or peavy dropping off more. I would challenge anyone to hear or feel the difference though. I told the store that if the 3000 can't run 8 drivers than I am returning it and ordering the 7500.

Hey Dom,
Remember when the Balrog falls after fighting Gandoff? You feel some quiver on your body? Well the rear subs literally wobble the seat arm rests now. It was subtle and now very obvious.

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
How much do you care about the last 4hz though?

I hate how the DCX and Cleanboxes roll off at 8hz. I happen to like 5hz and certainly 7hz.

I wonder if I shouldn't switch to XLR miniDSP's and leave the DCX for the mids and highs.

The Emotiva UMC-1 was horrid it pops and mutes at 10hz; totally unusable IMO.

No idea what the UMC-200 or DC1 does...
The XSP-1 and Oppo 105 is good to 1-2hz though.

I wonder how the XMC-1's XLR does?

·
Registered
19,282 Posts
I was just comparing the raw responses to each other. I don't have an Emotiva product. I tried their DC1 and UMC-1's and even though people say the Sherbourn 7020A is just like the UMC-1, they don't perform even close the same as response, extension, and noise floor goes. Remember I am testing near field and I am getting awesome extension for that. I am not missing the last 4hz, I am down at 3hz or 4hz. Both amps and receivers are flat to 5hz.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,464 (Edited)
Good question, had to look this one up...

According to this NASA Lift Off research paper: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a081792.pdf

10-20hz:
>165db ripped eardrums
>160db eardrum damage is likely
153-160db technically safe, but not really recommended still.
153db caused severe discomfort: choking of the throat. hard to breath. severe nervousness. Highest recommend SPL (even with lawyers waived.)
140-150 nervousness is induced
137-145db chest/lung movement noticed, very distracting. Modulated speech. (SPL reached inside Space Shuttle at launch.)
120db all frequencies are clearly audible, and start of annoyances, feel like underwater, nausea-sensitive people affected
105-130 caused a drunken-like condition in math tests

So lets call 153db a full 6 Stars and 5+ some in-between scale... I don't think anybody would want to have a choking experience when watching movies,
perhaps as a short bassheaded system-demo though. That should keep the system builders busy for the next 100 years... :D
So to hit [email protected] from a groundplane SPL perspective, you would need 300 SI or SI equivalent! Notnyt has the most SI equivalents at 16hz with 65... :eek:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,466
v17.1 of the ULF Calculator now available. Posts 1 & 2 now updated.
Archaea's new ULF Card:

Sold his beloved Captivators and switched to the dark side...8 Sealed Ultimax 18s! Quite an upgrade if you ask me, as his previous score had him only to 20hz (Cap 20hz tune), and no subs nearfield. :cool:

Here are the latest Member scores:

Member ULF Stars

Member ULF Scores

Member ULF SI Equivalents

Member Tactile Feedback FX

Attachments

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
Ha, calling me out eh?

Somebody said something about cookies and I was there.

I have four buttkicker mini lfe units too...have had them for a couple years, not sure how much they count as a tactile feedback score, but you can't run them on max, because they will shake more than I want or need--- so they are pretty capable.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
So I finally added the fixed LMS ultras I mushroomed as many may recall when I broke them. I have set-up the 4 LMS's nearfeild behind the MLP. WOW, does this make a difference tactile sensation combined with the crowsons.

Here is the revised ULF score card,

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
dominguez1
I have nearfield ... My second row is directly on top of the rear sub with the mouth no more than 2' away. We also built the entire theater with a raised sub floor (1 1/2" over concrete).

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Have any extra LMS motors or you just replace the baskets?
I had 2 that I had ordered for the IB on top of two that I wrecked, but everyone telling me that the LMS were no good for IB I went with the RE XXX 18's,but it was too late to cancel them.
Remind us again how you mushroomed the LMS's? Sinewave or movie? :eek: (Pics?)
I have pics some where, I will try dig them up. And it was while watching HTTYD.

Scary thing is I have 2 Submersives still sitting in storage un-used.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,476
So I finally added the fixed LMS ultras I mushroomed as many may recall when I broke them. I have set-up the 4 LMS's nearfeild behind the MLP. WOW, does this make a difference tactile sensation combined with the crowsons.

Here is the revised ULF score card,

Damn...awesome stuff. Congrats on breaking the ULF hundy... :cool:

Can you describe how the nearfield LMS's differ from the crowsons?

I love the nearfield craze going on now...PVL is the new SPL. :D

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,477
dominguez1
I have nearfield ... My second row is directly on top of the rear sub with the mouth no more than 2' away. We also built the entire theater with a raised sub floor (1 1/2" over concrete).
Ya know...I looked at your scores twice and thought...I swear he had some tactile FX going on...not sure how they fell off, but you certainly have them in spades. Will get them updated in the next round! :cool:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Ok;
In my basement HT I have IB line array 4 x 15" AE15 drivers, plus 2 SI sealed subs, 18" and 15", inputting them into the sheet gave the below.
(I could not find a 15" SI, so "cheated"and said I had 2 18")

fwiw they are located like this in my room

2461 - 2480 of 5119 Posts