AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
I enjoyed Counterpart.

The rest the reviews seem middling.

These days, you have to filter, so much stuff out there.

One thing you'll see in forums, threads about what forum members have been watching.

You don't get that here since content is a big part of AVS.

Though I remember around the time of the HDTV transition, people were watching crap just because it was available in HD. Remember al the excitement about HDNet back in the day?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I actually think CBS-AA is the stronger of the 2 and has the better ability to stand on its own
Commercially I agree. But outside of Star Trek and a couple of other decent originals, CBS All Access's content primarily consists of the standard network crime drama procedurals that are dumbed down for the masses and banal network sitcoms. Their catalog of older movie titles is the worst I've seen of any streaming service that isn't 100% ad supported. CBS AA is going to need to add more exclusive live sports if they want to compete with Peacock, their real competitor in this streaming space.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
DaVinci’s Demons, Counterpart, Black Sails, Outlander(although I don’t watch it), The Pillars of the Earth, Boss, American Gods( it’s a bit of a mess but still entertaining), all are very good TV. Dublin Murders was engaging as well.
Black sails!!!! What an awesome show that was!!!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
CBS AA is going to need to add more exclusive live sports if they want to compete with Peacock, their real competitor in this streaming space.
They did strike deals for CHAMPIONS LEAGUE and EUROPA LEAGUE through 2024. I have enjoyed watching individual matches on Tues, Wed and Thurs or when six (6) matches are on simultaneously the GOLAZO stream. Peacock has you covered for EPL and CBS AA for Champions and Europa.

Reactions: Zookster

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
DaVinci’s Demons, Counterpart, Black Sails, Outlander(although I don’t watch it), The Pillars of the Earth, Boss, American Gods( it’s a bit of a mess but still entertaining), all are very good TV. Dublin Murders was engaging as well.
Those were the good old STARZ days. There push now seems to be 'Premium Female' demographic. Whatever the heck that is. I get that you may skew a certain way on a service, but I thought making good content that anyone may enjoy was the goal. :unsure:

Reactions: Zookster

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Those were the good old STARZ days. There push now seems to be 'Premium Female' demographic. Whatever the heck that is. I get that you may skew a certain way on a service, but I thought making good content that anyone may enjoy was the goal. :unsure:

Yet another non-answer as to why Counterpart was canceled, and a misogynistic one at that: it was too complicated for our targeted female demographic. They pulled Counterpart from the platform a few weeks after the last episode of the second season aired. There was obviously a lot more going on. Shows canceled more than a decade ago are still on the service -- which I guess is all about "servicing females" now, whatever that's supposed to mean.

Thanks for confirming my decision to not redeem a special promo offer to get Starz for 6 months for $25.

·
Registered
27,684 Posts
I'm going to have to re-sub to Starz to see 'American Gods' which I put up there in the high pantheon of shows I really enjoy and think are extremely well cast, written, & produced. I may wait until the season is almost done for it though, as there really isn't much else on that service anymore I care about seeing.

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
They did strike deals for CHAMPIONS LEAGUE and EUROPA LEAGUE through 2024. I have enjoyed watching individual matches on Tues, Wed and Thurs or when six (6) matches are on simultaneously the GOLAZO stream. Peacock has you covered for EPL and CBS AA for Champions and Europa.

Didn't know that. Ugh, have to pay to Watch CL matches now? Used to be on ESPN in previous years.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Didn't know that. Ugh, have to pay to Watch CL matches now? Used to be on ESPN in previous years.
You pay for ESPN. :)

The last few years the CL and Europa League were on TNT and B/R Live. Complete mess trying to follow matches. At least now it is all in one place and all matches are Live and on-demand replay.

ESPN+ in the Disney bundle carries Serie A Italian league, FA Cup and English League Championship.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts

Its not just Starz. Hollywood has become this. Lots of beloved movie franchises are being remade with female leads, same for tv shows. Its all dumbed down garbage designed by PC committees so they can all rave about 'diversity'.

·
Administrator
19,560 Posts
Another great episode yesterday. This is good TV!

Reactions: WilliamR

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Not unlike BB just when you thought it couldn't get any worse . .
but who believed the Volvo would actually be disappeared without incident
too obvious- a young black man in that car?:rolleyes:
nobody thought that video of the judge showing up at the police station, late at night,
and then just leaving?
Am I expecting too much?

Reactions: lax01

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Not unlike BB just when you thought it couldn't get any worse . .
but who believed the Volvo would actually be disappeared without incident
too obvious- a young black man in that car?:rolleyes:
nobody thought that video of the judge showing up at the police station, late at night,
and then just leaving?
Am I expecting too much?
Why would they watch the video of that night he showed up?

·
Premium Member
35,556 Posts
Apple/Showtime is being inconsistent again with this show's SDR/HDR grading as this latest episode was in SDR only via the Showtime/Apple Channels portal. The first episode is still available in Dolby Vision though I don't recall it really having much impact. I'm beginning to wonder if Apple is just mislabeling them, are they available in DV from the standalone app?.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Apple/Showtime is being inconsistent again with this show's SDR/HDR grading as this latest episode was in SDR only via the Showtime/Apple Channels portal. The first episode is still available in Dolby Vision though I don't recall it really having much impact. I'm beginning to wonder if Apple is just mislabeling them, are they available in DV from the standalone app?.
I have Dolby Vision on both episodes using the standalone app via my ATV4.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Apple/Showtime is being inconsistent again with this show's SDR/HDR grading
At least Prime Video Channels is consistent. Any of the channels that may offer 4K HDR content on the standalone app (Showtime, EPIX, Starz, CBS AA) are only in 1080p via Prime Video Channel access via Roku or FTV4K devices. I don't necessarily like it, but I don't get frustrated with inconsistencies!

Reactions: Keenan

·
Premium Member
35,556 Posts
With this particular show, I don't really care about the HDR, it's the writing and the performances that I'm interested in. Some consistency in color grading would be nice though. But the price is right, so I can't complain too much.:)

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I hate the judge and his son. Notice how carefully they try to make them sympathetic - the judge is a saint who pardons people. The son is a sick weakling we're supposed to feel sorry for.

In fact the judge is a scheming liar who acts like he cares for people but when it comes down to it, is a hypocrite. And the son is an entitled rich white kid criminal who murdered someone, then lied, concealed and destroyed evidence, and is now lying even more. And what the hell is with him banging his hot teacher? She's the girl from ep1 right? So once again they try to show he's so desirable and so smart.

But the black guy got what was coming to him right? all blacks are criminals! He sure deserved getting tortured by the police, because he was a gang member.

Am I really supposed to root for the main characters at this point. They couldn't be more unlikeable.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts