AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Encouraged by what i have read here, in about one week I will build my first htpc. I would appreciate your input on the following individual components, including quality, appropriateness of and compatability between components, and what's missing. Uses will include PVR/record from HDTV, Video Editing, Audio, some business work in MSOffice, web surfing, and I want to occasionally play a few games.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!

CPU: P4 478 2.8C ghz fsb800 HT

MOBO: Asus p4c800 E deluxe

MEMORY: Corsair TWINX1024-3200 PC3200 2X512MB Dual channel DDR (two dimms kit)

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Special Edition 120 SATA WITH 8MB CACHE

DVD WRITER: SONY DRU510A

DVD ROM Reader/Player: Liteon or Sony 16X?

Video Card: ATI 9800 Pro AIW

Case: Antec PLUSVIEW1000AMG (am also considering antec overture?)

Power: Antec TrueBlue 480P

Floppy drive: Panasonic

Input: Logitech Cordless MX Duo (what are best gaming controllers?)

Display: Can afford max $5,200US ($7,000Canadian) on this component. Am considering Panasonic LCD PT50LC13 and Samsung 4065. Both of these are fifty inch. Couch is about 12 feet away from wall where display will be. Resolution and color on plasma in this price range seems less interesting.

Pioneer Amp/Receiver

Definitive Tech speakers

A few questions:

What interconnects do I need?

Would it be a great thing to run O/S and software off of a 10,000rpm Western Digital 36gig. This is expensive but is the speed worthwile for these uses?

Is the WD120 a good choice for data?

Is buying a 3.0 or 3.2C Intel CPU worth it? (I dont think I intend to overclock but there is always a chance)

Is this appropriate memory or would PC3700 be worthwhile?

Overture vs Plusview?

I am still sifting thru threads on satellite HD (I am in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where the service is thru Bell expressvue), but would welcome your thoughts on what hardware and software that is best for this type of setup.

Will I be able to use computer from couch to type email and surf web?

AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FIDO
A few questions:

Would it be a great thing to run O/S and software off of a 10,000rpm Western Digital 36gig. This is expensive but is the speed worthwile for these uses?

Is buying a 3.0 or 3.2C Intel CPU worth it? (I dont think I intend to overclock but there is always a chance)

Overture vs Plusview?

I am still sifting thru threads on satellite HD (I am in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where the service is thru Bell expressvue), but would welcome your thoughts on what hardware and software that is best for this type of setup.

I have a HTPC setup close to the one you listed. I went with the 3.0 only because intel had yet to release the 2.8 and a 9800pro for the same reason. I really like the the way my PT-50lc13 looks on my HTPC. Download ATI's "chimp" demo clip, it looks incredible. I would go with the 2.8 as it should be more then enough for video editing/games. I would also recommend you try this question on extremtech.com too. Here are a few more links from them you might find useful. Also I'd get at-least 80gig of HD space if not more if your going to record HDTV. Note that the 9800AIW want capture HD PQ.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1265796,00.asp

New Processor reviews
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1276955,00.asp

Would comment more but I got to go catch my shows.

Hope you have as much fun building your as I did mine.

Newmie

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
AT that price range for a display, do you have the option for FP? $5000 will get you a nice FP setup. You could go with an X1 and an electrimask Stewart Firehawk screen. Then you could upgrade the pj in a couple of years and still have a GREAT screen that easily hides out of sight when not in use.

Other than that, everything looks good except, you will want to buy the spdif output interface for the motherboard. I don't believe it comes with it. Either that or buy a soundcard capable of passing the spdif. (this of course assumes that you have some sort of receiver). Then the only interconnects you need are an spdif cable and a DVI cable to the tv/projector. I own the WD 120(nonserial) and find it completely satisfactory. It is not loud at all (decoupled in my sonata case). And although I own the Sonata case, I'd have bought the Overture if it was available. And yes, you'll be able to surf the web from the couch.

Russ

·
Registered
254 Posts

I don't think a 10,000 rpm drive give you any extra benefits for the money.

5400 rpm is fine for most video, but I would prefer 7200 rpm if I had a choice.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Quote:
Encouraged by what i have read here, in about one week I will build my first htpc. I would appreciate your input on the following individual components, including quality, appropriateness of and compatability between components, and what's missing. Uses will include PVR/record from HDTV, Video Editing, Audio, some business work in MSOffice, web surfing, and I want to occasionally play a few games.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!

CPU: P4 478 2.8C ghz fsb800 HT

MOBO: Asus p4c800 E deluxe

MEMORY: Corsair TWINX1024-3200 PC3200 2X512MB Dual channel DDR (two dimms kit)

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital Special Edition 120 SATA WITH 8MB CACHE

DVD WRITER: SONY DRU510A

DVD ROM Reader/Player: Liteon or Sony 16X?

Video Card: ATI 9800 Pro AIW

Case: Antec PLUSVIEW1000AMG (am also considering antec overture?)

Power: Antec TrueBlue 480P

Floppy drive: Panasonic

Input: Logitech Cordless MX Duo (what are best gaming controllers?)

Display: Can afford max $5,200US ($7,000Canadian) on this component. Am considering Panasonic LCD PT50LC13 and Samsung 4065. Both of these are fifty inch. Couch is about 12 feet away from wall where display will be. Resolution and color on plasma in this price range seems less interesting.

Pioneer Amp/Receiver

Definitive Tech speakers

A few questions:

Overture vs Plusview?

Well, I went a different route with my HTPC...Athlon XP and Nforce2 MB.

However, I still have a few hopefully useful comments. If you plan to overclock at all, the P4 2.4C is supposed to be one of the better choices. Since the pentiums are multiplier locked, you can only overclock by increasing your bus speed, and you have more headroom with a chip that has a lower multiplier. People have been getting some amazing overclocks with air cooling and P4 2.4C chips...> 1000FSB! Of course, you'll need the memory that can handle this as well. Be careful with the corsair memory. Some of the low latency stuff didn't work with the dual channel Canterwood chipsets, though I think this was eventually worked out.

If silence is your goal (though this can be somewhat incompatible with overclocking :) then consider the Seagate Barracuda drivers (look for the V drives, not the 7200.1 drives). Both the Lite-on and Sony DVD drives are supposed to be pretty quiet. I have a sony DVD-rom on my HTPC, and it's noisy when it first spins up, but after that it is silent.

The WD 10,000RPM drive can be a screamer, but it is very hot, and quite noisy. I don't think it is worth it.

I have the MX700 mouse at work and I love it. At home, I'm using the Gyration combination. The keyboard is compact, the mouse works in the air, and both have a good range. For gaming, the gyration mouse is pretty unusable IMO, though I've fooled around with Serious Sam and a few others.

Good luck, and have fun!

Ozy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you - your input very helpful.

Room has lots of ambient light and we want to watch without shutting it out so projector, I believe, is less appealing although obviously has other merits. I can get excellent deal of Samsungs. Between the following, if $ not a consideration, for a HTPC used equally for video and for MS Office type use from 10 feet away, what would you recommend.

SPN4235X 42 inch. Samsung Plasma

HPN5039 50 inch. Samsung Plasma

HLN4365w 43 inch Samsung DLP

HLN5065W 50 inch Samsung DLP

FYI, I dont fully grasp issue of resolution (still lots of reading of thread to do, obviously). Plasma specs show lower numbers than DLP, yet I am told by salesperson plasma pixels are visually better for hookup to PC...your insights for this newbie question appreciated. Also, for PC work is 42-43inch size generally better than 50 in terms of MS office use?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Quote:
Thank you - your input very helpful.

Room has lots of ambient light and we want to watch without shutting it out so projector, I believe, is less appealing although obviously has other merits. I can get excellent deal of Samsungs. Between the following, if $ not a consideration, for a HTPC used equally for video and for MS Office type use from 10 feet away, what would you recommend.

SPN4235X 42 inch. Samsung Plasma

HPN5039 50 inch. Samsung Plasma

HLN4365w 43 inch Samsung DLP

HLN5065W 50 inch Samsung DLP

FYI, I dont fully grasp issue of resolution (still lots of reading of thread to do, obviously). Plasma specs show lower numbers than DLP, yet I am told by salesperson plasma pixels are visually better for hookup to PC...your insights for this newbie question appreciated. Also, for PC work is 42-43inch size generally better than 50 in terms of MS office use?

Thank you!
I would recommend the DLP as it will not suffer from burn-in. As far as the size goes, the resolution is identical between the 43 and the 50 inch DLP sets, so I guess it's a question of how close you're gonna be. From 10 feet away, 50" might be kind of big...but I'll let someone who actually owns one of these sets comment.

Ozy

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The salesman was full of crap.

Both Plasma and DLP are digital technologies with native resolutions and as such can both be connected to pc easily. I sat down with the 50 inch Sammy DLP TV and was not impressed. Perhaps it was connected poorly but there was a lot of "flicker". Don't get me wrong, it was light years ahead of other bigscreens, but I prefer projection. You would have to look at the plasma and DLP units and decide for yourself. Generally speaking, higher resolution is better, but there are many factors to consider.

As for PC work, the bigger the better. Any digital display, when fed it's native resolution from the pc, will look razor sharp.

Also, with a highpower screen (or any screen with gain) you will have a viewing cone, inside which ambient light will be redirected. This means that even with ambient lighting, a high power screen still looks bright as long as it is not coming from the same place as the projector.

You should do some critical viewing of the plasma and DLP TV's (bigger is beter) as well as some critical viewing of a highpower screen with a projector.

Russ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.