AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up Elizabeth Taylors first movie "National Velvet" made in 1944. OAR 'Industry Standard', color, DD monaural sound, 32 chapters, WB snap case and 124 minutes long. I seen this same movie at Block Busters for $21.44.

Your treasure ?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Manaus
I picked up Elizabeth Taylors first movie "National Velvet" made in 1944. OAR 'Industry Standard', color, DD monaural sound, 32 chapters, WB snap case and 124 minutes long. I seen this same movie at Block Busters for $21.44.

Your treasure ?
Good timing!! Usually I can never find anything in the $5.88 bin worth having but two days ago I snagged "Bugsy" with Warren Beatty.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Deeply, The Real McCoy and Simply Irresistable. Not super great but good for a rainy day.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Arnold in "Hercules in New York." It has both the original and redub tracks.

Also found "What About Bob?"

I saw "National Velvet" as well, but decided not to pick it up. I might grab it if I see it again. I saw some "Rambo" movies, as well.

DIG DEEP - You never know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
"Towering Inferno" is almost always there. Got "Kissing a Fool" a couple of months ago. Jason Lee Rocks! Just got "Poseidon Adventure" tonight have not watched it yet but the cover looks like it was printed on a 1988 bubble jet printer.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
NATIONAL VELVET is a fun movie.

We bought at Wal-Mart MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (Michelle Pfeiffer, etc.) because we just saw the live production in Ashland, Oregon, at the Shakespeare Festival. My wife said the movie version was cute. It's non-anamorphic widescreen. I have yet to watch it, but for $5.88 ... such a deal!!

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I got Bedazzled. Tough to top that for $5.88.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I just picked up Donnie Darko, Get Shorty and A Bridge Too Far today in a $10 bin, thats CDN, so its about $5.88 to you guys :p

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well, one movie I got outta there is Switch. It's 2.35:1 16x9 enhanced and in a snapper case. Pretty good movie. Mom said it was good, so I bought it.

Later, I got a 2 disc set of The Three Stooges. It kinda disappointed me because the video quality wasn't as good as it is on TV. Another thing is that they only put 1 actual 3 stooges show on each DVD and filled the rest of it with 3 Stooges cartoons and stuff before the 3 stooges was even a show.

I also got a 2 disc set of Red Skelton. It was alright. Pretty funny. It has commercials on it too. Well, the really old commercials and it was kinda neat to see them.

And my dad just hadda get the 2 disc set of Westerns. Haven't even watched them yet.

I am disappointed in those last three because for one, the transfers were not as great as they are when they show them on TV. Another thing, the company who released those DVDs put their damn logo in the corner of the screen. So, I'm not too happy about that. But for $5.88, I can't complain too much.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I picked up the ORIGINAL 60's Batman movie in the 5.88 bin. The Mrs. and I are big fan's of the original TV series!

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
NATIONAL VELVET is a fun movie.

We bought at Wal-Mart MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (Michelle Pfeiffer, etc.) because we just saw the live production in Ashland, Oregon, at the Shakespeare Festival. My wife said the movie version was cute. It's non-anamorphic widescreen. I have yet to watch it, but for $5.88 ... such a deal!!

Movies before 1953 "The Robe" were 1.33:1 Industry Standard, not pan & scan movie cutting format.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I picked up a picture called One Man's Hero with Tom Berenger. It's about the San Patricio Battalion, a group of Irish deserters from the American army who fought for the Mexicans during the Mexican War.

The picture is kinda low-rent but still it's a movie about a little known aspect of history and well worth watching.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
Recent Walmart-ish acquisitions (I say "ish" because I can't remember if these came from discount sections @ Walmart, Best Buy or Wherehouse) include Mod Squad (the new one w/Claire Danes, Omar Epps & Giovanni Ribisi, nice anamorphic 1.78 PQ BTW), Kissing a Fool (Jason kills me too, Chino & Mili Avital ain't too bad either, I could watch this over and over), Logan's Run, Kurt Russell's Soldier, Blade Runner, Risky Business, Smilla's Sense of Snow.

I've been tempted by a couple others @ Walmart as well, so maybe some of you could give me your impression of Millenium (w/ Cheryl Ladd & Chris Krrissttofferrssonn [sp?] :) ), Neverending Story II and Mariah Carey's Glitter. :) Also saw Dangerous Liasons for $5.88. Don't seem right.
Quote:
I got Bedazzled. Tough to top that for $5.88.
I was pleasantly surprised by this new version, but it's still a far cry from the original with Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, and Raquel Welch.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I haven't snatched anything from there recently but I noticed The Exorcist III in there the other day. That is a killer deal at that price. The movie is one of the best horror movies of the last decade and the presentation is quite good. If you see it there I would definately recommend picking it up!!

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Bedazzled!:D Elizabeth Hurley!:D 'nuff said!:D

also, check the easter egg on this DVD!:D

also,

Black Beauty, Towerring Inferno and Posideon Adventure.:D

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
What About Bob

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My problem is the big 2 bins are tall,, and me sitting lower I have to push the DVD to the top from outside the cage. I picked up Taps, Oxygen, Q & A, Aspen Extreme, An Innocent Man with Tom Selleck. Also picked up Exorcist 3: Legion, National Velvet, Rodan, Godzilla, Half Past Dead (Steven Seagal) and Bedazzled.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.