AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone probably already knows this, but I just figured it out today, so I thought I'd bring it to light just in case.

Browsing the network on an XP laptop connected wirelessly, LO AND BEHOLD!, there's all of my recorded tv shows, music, pictures, etc. from my mythbox!

So, after watching a tv show, it suddenly dawned on me that WERE I NOT ON A HIDDEN WIRELESS NETWORK, ANYONE DRIVING PAST MY HOUSE WITH A LAPTOP WOULD HAVE ACCESS TO ALL OF MY MEDIA FILES!

Just sayin'

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
That's true for any non-secured Wi-Fi connection, not just MythTV. This is why it's so important to use WEP security (minimum) or preferably WPA levels.

·
Registered
133 Posts
As Claus alluded to, WEP is substandard. It's essentially useless. It's like locking your house with a zip tie. It can be brute force cracked by anyone with a Linux laptop and free tools in less than three minutes, even if the network is idle.

WPA-PSK or preferrably WPA2-PSK are the best ways to provide reasonable security for SOHO WiFi. WPA2-Enterprise using EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS, PEAP, etc are better, but they require AAA and PKI infrastructure as well as enterprise grade APs and client supplicants.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just mildly shocked that a Linux distro would leave something like that wide-open by default. It's a convenient feature, though, if you're comfortable with your network's security.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster /forum/post/14185638

Everyone probably already knows this, but I just figured it out today, so I thought I'd bring it to light just in case.

Browsing the network on an XP laptop connected wirelessly, LO AND BEHOLD!, there's all of my recorded tv shows, music, pictures, etc. from my mythbox!

So, after watching a tv show, it suddenly dawned on me that WERE I NOT ON A HIDDEN WIRELESS NETWORK, ANYONE DRIVING PAST MY HOUSE WITH A LAPTOP WOULD HAVE ACCESS TO ALL OF MY MEDIA FILES!

Just sayin'

linux? Giving away media to anybody for free? If anything it completely jives with the philosophy behind linux.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts