Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PC

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been out of the game for a while and can be considered a noob with some of the new tech going around.

Choose your brand and perhaps list your model and reason in your reply.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fine Ill go first...

I chose the Denon because its seems to be the popular choice at the moment, no experience with the product at the moment but it will be on my review shortlist.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Yamaha has done well for me, but I admit I have not owned other gear - perhaps some other brands are better in some way, like HDMI working better with more sources.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Onkyo (since I just ordered one).

I've actually never owned anything from Onkyo before, so it will be a test drive of sorts. For whatever reason, I don't feel much brand loyalty when it comes to receivers. Every mass-market brand seems to be ready to whore themselves out to the latest licensed (or equivalent in-house) technology instead of doing a better job at the basics. Marketing drives product development.

On the other hand, I could've voted with my dollars for another approach by going with a boutique brand that emphasizes the basics, so I guess I'm just as at fault. Don't say I'm not cynical, though.

Other brands I have owned are Pioneer and Sherwood. I don't get the same itch to upgrade receivers that I do for other gear...just now doing it for the convenience of HDMI and a powered 2nd zone in what will be my most permanent home theater yet. Had those features not been a factor, I think I would've been fine with my 10+ year old Pioneer for several more years.

I have yet to experience a jump in home theater sound quality (independent of speakers) equivalent to the switch from Pro Logic to AC3/DTS. Lossless codecs and 7+ speakers don't do much for me, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I think they all do a good job at the basics, Noah.

Where some fall short, is in some of the following areas -

* Usability (Some are harder to use)

* HDMI ( some seem to work better than others with some gear)

* Value ( some receivers are pricey for what you are getting)

* Quality (some models from some brands and a bad rep for breaking)

* Power (some models may lack enough power for some users)

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I am saving for one of the new ANTHEM AVR's!!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Choosing options on this poll is kind of like deciding what brand of car to buy and limiting yourself to models from that brand.

You'll probably be better off picking a price range and level of features within that price range and then looking at specific models from various manufacturers that fall into that range. Every one of those brands has good receivers to choose from, and they've also all got junk.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Denon for me...

XT32..dual sub controls.. 11 channels

unless some really nice pre/pro comes out soon, this denon wil last me awhile.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a Yamaha V-RX765 which I like, but I think I am saving my pennies for either a Denon 3311CI or possibly a Denon 4311CI once the new models (presumably 3312 and 4312) come out and the current models go into clearance/discontinued pricing.

I like the presence feature on the Yamaha and YPAO has done a decent job in my room, but I think my next receiver will have Audsessy MultiEQ XT or higher, primarily for the possibility of enabling Audsessy Pro and having a pro calibration done at some point down the road. That is the primary reason my next unit probably won't be a Yamaha.

Other than that, I'm mostly looking for a unit with the advanced controls with regards to cross over points and amp configurations, etc. My heart isn't set on a Denon, just that the 3311CI seems to fit the bill at the moment.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Pioneer. Last years (1019?) model is the cheapest solution that has pre outs that I know of. Under $400 at the big river.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I chose Pioneer because I was recently shopping for a sub $500 AVR for a 2nd setup. The 1120 easily seemed to be a top pick there.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
My next is Onkyo 508 3D ready refurbished. Club Onkyo is having 20% off with free shipping. With my 15 points it was

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys for all the input, I know its very subjective and the brands listed might not include your favorites but I think we can all agree that that they are your more common products that you can find in most stores.

To me this is a perfect representation of what the average AV enthusiast might be interested in, in today's market.

One thing that I failed to mention is that -things that I am looking for are 3d compatibility more to entertain the kids and perhaps networking ability. The auto calibration is a big plus too(add to that the ability to do minor adjustments) and you have a winner, but as with all things you will only miss it if its not there to you it might be a missing HDMI port or shortage of line outs? Is it too much to ask for a high quality product that has it all without breaking the bank?> Well likely not but I am sure this discusion will help get us closer.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Bought the Onkyo TX-NR708, mostly for connectivity (I have some legacy gear, and the Onkyo doesn't skimp on s-video, etc.), & feature/price ratio.

I didn't think I'd use the network features much, but I do; it comes with commercial-free Pandora at no charge.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I recently bought the Onk 3008 for one big reason; it's the least expensive AVR on the market with MultiEQXT32 (and therefore, with the SubEQ technology). I'm looking to run 2 subwoofers in my theater, and having SubEQ onboard is a huge cost savings to me (the external processors are all about 400-600 dollars). Also, the MultiEQXT32 is a big upgrade from my older Pioneer room correction software.

Finally, it has HDMI overlay (as does almost everything now) which was another must have for me.

If you want the newest Audessey (which I think has a bigger impact on SQ than almost anything else they can put in an AVR today), you really only have a few options. Denon 4311, Onk 3008/5008, and then some of the CI gear (Integra, for example).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts