AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people say that Marantz sounds 'musical' and 'smooth' and what little time I spent with my SR 6200, I found it to sound pleasant. Its been in for repair for 3 weeks now and I'm going to be tempted to trade it in for an Onkyo 797 if it takes any longer and isn't fixed to my liking.

What is the sound quality of the Onkyo 797 like compared to the SR 6200/7200? Particularly stereo music performance? My listening is 75-90% music but I like movies to have lots of impact too :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had the Marantz 6200 for about a month (after I had to sell the Tag AV32R due to financial reasons). After the Tag, it didn't sound very well at all. What I really disliked was the subwoofer crossover. It is fixed at 100 or 120 Hz - way to high. The sub didn't sound right with the Marantz. Also, the instruction manual is awful.

I don't know about Onkyo, but I would check out Denon 3802 and Yamaha.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am considering the Yamaha RXV 1200 or 2200 and perhaps possibly the Denon AVR 2802 or 3802. I like the Onkyo 797 though, because it has lots of features I like. The bass is adjustable from the remote control, which I am not sure it is from the remote on the Yamaha or the Denon. Also, I like the crossover frequency choosen for the Onkyo. the Onkyo also has an 80 hz crossover, vs the 90 of the Yamaha or the 100 hz of the Marantz. The bass control of the Onkyo is also centered around 50hz, as opposed to 100hz of some others. I haven't confirmed this, but that is what the specs on the Onkyo website show.

I didn't mind the crossover so much, but I can imagine liking an 80hz crossover better than a 100 hz crossover.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.