AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is interesting to see that Hitachi or Seagte are offering special versions of their desktop-harddisks:

Example:

Desktop: Seagate Barracuda® 7200.10 750gb

Server: Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB

"Seagate Barracuda ES enterprise hard drives offer the best combination of capacity, performance, reliability and value for all your enterprise storage application needs. Best suited for 24 x 7 business-critical, multidrive server and storage system environments, Barracuda ES enterprise drives feature a SATA l interface and deliver best-in-class rotational vibration (RV) tolerance. Barracuda ES hard drives offer maximum performance in high drive count storage systems. Perpendicular recording technology increases capacity and reliability by storing data vertically instead of horizontally for maximum data density on the hard drive."

Cinema:

Seagate DB35.3 750GB 16MB SATA
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...cs/db35_series

"The Seagate DB35 Series hard drive delivers the performance, power efficiency and reliability DVR manufacturers need to design superior products. Featuring DynaPlay Technology, DB35 Series drives address many DVR-specific challenges such as power consumption, video streaming performance, acoustics and reliability. The DB35 Series hard drive is optimized to deliver smooth video playback and recording and is ideal for DVRs and home media servers."

Seagate SV35 750GB SATA II
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...cs/sv35_series

"The digital video surveillance industry has been greatly enhanced by the latest advances in video compression, storage and pattern/face recognition software. The surveillance solutions market has moved from analog tape-based systems to digital hard drive-based systems. Seagate SV 35 Series hard drives are engineered specifically for use in digital video surveillance systems. "

Raid:

Seagate NL35.2 500GB 16MB SATA II

I am confused. What is the best pick for a media server ? Is there really a performance argument or is it purely silence of operation / reliability ? If performance is an argument (especially no interrupted datastream
Is a simple Raid-=-Setup not better ?

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
From what I remember, sustained read/write speed is more important than access time for DVR type applications.

I have a 320GB 7200.10 Seagate drive (one of the first to offer perpendicular recording if memory serves) at the time, it was reviewed to have significantly better sustained read/writes than the WD alternative.

In any case, I have no problem recording 3 HD streams to the disk, while reading 2 HD streams off of it. My guess is that any modern WD would be the same.

If I were to buy another drive, I would go for capacity first, then sound level second.

-Suntan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.