AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while a person can want everything, they cannot have everything. Life is full of compromises :p. With that in mind, with my desire for both a well performing camera and an hd camcorder, I have come to the compromise of the new DSLR's to appear on the market. The 2 in question would be the Nikon D5000, and the Canon t1i. Have any of you guys followed these 2 cameras at all? I've read in engadget that the canon beats the nikon by a margin in a lot of aspects, but one thing that irks me about the canon is it's inability to AF on an object at a reasonable pace. While the picture looks beautiful when in focus, you lose precious precious frames with the time it takes to autofocus. I've been looking at the D90 as well, but i think that's reaching a little out of my price range unfortunately. I can nab the d5000 kit for 680 and the t1i kit for 720, and the d90 unfortunately for like a G and change. I don't really plan on upgrading the lens any time soon, so the kit lense would be the one I will be using. So my question to you guys is, better shot quality, or better/faster AF?

If there is any other potential candidate I should be looking at, feel free to throw that idea out at me. Though i probably won't be able to get a decent deal on more vague cameras :/

Another question i had derives from the sample footage i've been watching on Youtube. While the video quality is excellent(to me at least), the audio is pretty....terrible. I mean, it's not the worst thing in the world, but the wind absolutely has its way with the camera's audio quality. I see hot shoes on the camera, but do they have any external mic capability? If not, is there...anything i can do to solve this?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The D90 and D5000 only have a crappy built in mic. No ext connection. Might have to wait for the rumored D300s or D700x - or whatever Nikon decides to call them. The Canon 5DMk2 has a 3.5mm mic jack, and you could use a Beachtek XLR adaptor for pro mics. You really need to use a shoulder bracket and other add ons to make these things even slightly ergonomic. I don't think you would use it very often as a video camera. You also don't get auto focus in video mode. Combine manual focus while manually zooming and panning on a camera with no ergonomics and an ultra shallow DOF.... You will end up calling it Hell.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Forget about panning. None of these DLSRs, even the Canon 5DMk2, are good at panning shots because of the rolling shutter issue. No AF means you need to be good at MF while dealing with shallow DOF (not a bad thing). It simply takes more time preparing the shot.

If your style of video recording is more like point and shot, get a camcorder.

Other DSLR that worth to consider is the new Pentax K-7. And the new Panasonic GH1.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Don't forget the T1i only does 20fps when in 1080x1920....USELESS!

Next wave... According to rumors... from Nikon, first there will be D300s (soonish), probably 14.2 Megapixels - same sensor as Sony A380, but with better processing, less noise especially at higher ISO and faster. Most likely video mode, at minimum 720/24p, we can only hope for 1080/24p. Audio input? Again, we can only hope. Also expect the tilt/swivel LCD screen from the D5000.

Later in the year like Oct/Nov, D700x. Expect 24.5 Megapixels (same FF sensor as the $8000 D3x). I would expect 1080/24p and external mic input. Hopefully it has the swivel screen for live-view and video modes. I would expect that one to be around $3,500+ for the body.

Canon... not much at the moment, as they seem to be fairly recent across the board except on their 1DIII and 1DsIII replacements, and video mode on that would be unlikely in my opinion. There is a bit of talk about a 60D which would be likely to have video mode, but the specs I couldn't even guess. I hope they don't make the 20fps mistake of the T1i. I also hope they do have a firmware update for the 5D/2 to enable 1080/24p recording.

I like the specs on the Pana GH1 that Foxbat mentioned, but I don't have Panasonic/Leica lenses, I have Nikon and Canon (that we rent out), so I will be putting my money on the 5D2 and and eagerly awaiting the D700x (which may end up being called D800 or D900).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
None that I know of. My guess would be not until at least the D90/D5000 replacement on the Nikon side anyway. And I don't think that will happen for at least 18 months or so. But I have no doubt that it will happen. One day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.