AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow--this is my first post...nice to be here. I need some advice.

I just upgraded my DVD player and my receiver to the HK DVD 50 and an HK AVR 510, respectively. I was AMAZED at how much better the '50 sounded than my old player, let alone my CD player.

I'm currently running Klipsch Quintets/KSW10. They were good enough before, but now I'd like to hear just how good this system can sound.

I've narrowed it down to the Klipsch Reference Series (RF-3 IIs, RC-3 II, and RS-3 IIs/KSW12), or the Ascend Acoustics (CBM 170s, CBM 200s/HSU VTF-2). I lust for the Swans Divas, but I'm afraid they're just too rich for my blood.

So tell me what you think--what's going to max the juice my new 510's pumping--for music, and for movies.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
The Klipsch speakers have a higher efficiency so they will be able to play louder. I would go with the Hsu sub either way (assuming your sub budget is ~$500). As for sound quality, that is a personal preference... both companies make an excellent product.

Greg

·
Registered
241 Posts
John,

I have a Sherwood Newcastle receiver, and have it under fairly good authority that this is similar to the H/K for sound quality. I'm using ACI Emeralds for my front 3 channels and absolutely love the sound. I think you would too! But if the Divas are out of your price range I'd imagine that the Emeralds are too. They're $700/pair and $350 for a single.

Of course, if you're the least bit handy you could build them from kits for a lot less. That's what I did!

Brian

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've checked out Polk, Mirage, & Boston Acoustics when I demo'ed the reference series. I loved the extra presence & detail of the Klipschs, I love my ProMedia 4.2s, and I can get an INCREDIBLE deal on the reference IIs.

I've never heard the Ascends, but something in my gut tells me, over and over, that I have to at least order them and demo them.

Call me crazy, but that's how I've narrowed it down.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
John, I thought "max the juice" meant you wanted the loudest / most dynamic choice. Anyway, as I mentioned before, speaker choices are a personal selection (i.e. I may like brand 'A' while you may prefer brand 'B'). Having said that, I've heard both systems and prefer the Klipsch references (due to the increased dynamics & low load for your HK receiver). The reference's are very clean and a big improvement over the rest of the Klipsch line (IMO). However, the bass from the Hsu sub is significantly better than the KSW-12. If at all possible, I'd go with the Klipsch system but swap the KSW for a Hsu subwoofer. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Basically I am repeating what everyone else is saying. I own the Klipsch Reference series that you are looking at. Klipsch speakers are VERY efficient. You won't have to have your receiver push very hard. But it really does come down to personal preference. I bought the Klipsch to replace a very nice set of '90 series Mirage's. With many people Klipsch is a love 'em or hate'em relationship. I personally like bright speakers. I have always liked bright. Even as a kid I would always turn up the treble knob on the parents car radio. So naturally, I like Klipsch. Folks who don't like bright speakers usually dislike Klipsch speakers.

I would stay away from the new Klipsch subs though. They are no where near as good as the older subs. The KSW100, KSW150 and KSW200 were far better.

Dino

·
Registered
904 Posts
If you're thinking HSU, you should definitely look at www.svsubwoofers.com, everything I've heard has said they are awesome. They are my 1st choice as soon as I can afford a new sub.

jake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.