AVS Forum banner

Your Preferred HDTV Viewing Distance?

• [color=brown][b]1x screen size (i.e. 50" screen = approx 4 ft viewing distance)[/b][/color]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [color=purple][b]1.5x screen size (i.e. 50" screen = approx 6 ft viewing distance)[/b][/color]

• [color=orange][b]2x screen size (i.e. 50" screen = approx 8 ft viewing distance)[/b][/color]

• [color=gray][b]2.5x screen size (i.e. 50" screen = approx 10 ft viewing distance)[/b][/color]

• [color=blue][b]3x screen size (i.e. 50" screen = approx 12 ft viewing distance)[/b][/color]

• [color=green][b]3.5x screen size (i.e. 50" screen = approx 15 ft viewing distance)[/b][/color]

• [color=indigo][b]4x screen size (i.e. 50" screen = approx 17 ft viewing distance)[/b][/color]

• [color=red][b]5x screen size or more (i.e. 50" screen = 20+ ft viewing distance)[/b][/color]

• [color=navy][b]I don't go by screen size, I sit at the same set distance no matter what.[/b][/color]

• [color=black][b]I have no real preference, my living room size dictates.[/b][/color]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poll will be up shortly. It's pretty self-explanatory. But if you wish to post your reasons why you prefer the viewing distance you do, be interesting to hear 'em.

Many different and contradictory factors impact personal preference on this one.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I'm 6 feet from a 46 inch.

·
Registered
535 Posts
10 feet from a 50"

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to get the inevitable joke out of the way...

Random Poster: Yeah, I like it big, up close, and personal.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Seriously, unless you have a dedicated home theater room or live in a tiny apartment, how can so many manage to sit within 6 feet of the screen? It would be hard to arrange furniture in a decent-sized room and maintain that small distance. Plus, do people not have spouses around here?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facilman /forum/post/15573957

Seriously, unless you have a dedicated home theater room or live in a tiny apartment, how can so many manage to sit within 6 feet of the screen? It would be hard to arrange furniture in a decent-sized room and maintain that small distance. Plus, do people not have spouses around here?

Perhaps once they spend all their money on having a ginormous screen, they can no longer afford a decent-sized living room?

I keed, I keed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 26" panel and I still sit 6-8 feet from it. I can't imagine sitting 8 feet from a 50" panel. I also don't think there's a correct distance. It's viewer preference.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, judging by the poll results thus far, anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5x screen size is the most popular viewing distance, by quite a bit.

Didn't really expect the results to be quite so clumped up... was anticipating something that was less of an extreme bell curve, i.e. more outliers, more guys who like to sit 'flypaper close' (1x screen size), or pretty far away (4 or 5x screen).

But, most everybody's in the 'fat' part of the curve.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another interesting thing in the results... only about 25% of respondees seem to put a priority on viewing at the 'THX-approved' distances (1.5x screen size or closer).

Apparently many are either unaware of those guidelines, or disagree with them and choose to ignore them.

·
Registered
920 Posts
6-7 feet away from a 46"

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I myself am going to be 11.5 feet from a 46".

Slightly bigger would be nice, but my room has certain limitations. But, I have scary-good vision, so for me it's alright.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts