AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am on to something here and it concerns me a bit since 95% of my movies I play are via my WD Live Media Player.

Maybe it's in my head but when I compare an awesome LFE movie "Flight of the Phoenix" by playing it on my Samsung blu ray player versus WD Live player (40gb MKV file), I think I notice a difference where original Blue Ray is doing better. More clarity, bigger LFE, etc

Anyway, here are some charts posted on another forum where they take a movie "Interstellar" and compare OPPO 105 vs Cheap Panasonic blu ray player.

I didn't know source makes such a huge difference.

thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think you need more info. The Oppo condition is using its LFE analog output and doesn't occur when using the output from HDMI to a downstream decoder.

It's also unclear how you have your Samsung connection to your AVR vs. your WD live player. Is your AVR doing the decoding in both cases and if so, is it the same audio track?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you need more info. The Oppo condition is using its LFE analog output and doesn't occur when using the output from HDMI to a downstream decoder.

It's also unclear how you have your Samsung connection to your AVR vs. your WD live player. Is your AVR doing the decoding in both cases and if so, is it the same audio track?
I believe for both sources my AVR is doing the decoding. I hope ... I am going to check that tonight.

The WD Media player is using a downloaded MKV file. So yea, it's not the original .ts file. But can the difference be so big? File size is huge (40gb on average). Same DTS HD Master

It looks to me like the oppo has some kind of compression going on.
By default or user switched something?

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
It looks to me like the oppo has some kind of compression going on.
The issue is that when downmixing, like done when using bass management, the volume level of all channels needs to be reduced so the the LFE channel has sufficient headroom to accommodate the redirected bass. The OPPO does not leave itself enough headroom and clips the signal. Other receivers might do the same when applying bass management - especially when there is a 7.1 soundtrack.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The issue is that when downmixing, like done when using bass management, the volume level of all channels needs to be reduced so the the LFE channel has sufficient headroom to accommodate the redirected bass. The OPPO does not leave itself enough headroom and clips the signal. Other receivers might do the same when applying bass management - especially when there is a 7.1 soundtrack.

Is this the reason why when I change my AVR from Audyssey ON to Audyssey Bypass L/R and thus it turn off bass management for the sub as well, I can feel that my LFE content is a bit deeper and harder hitting. ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.