AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had $1500 hundred bucks and wanted to buy a system for a large room(25x25x15) with open spaces what would you choose???? You have to use bookshelf speaker and small satelite speakers!! If you can squeeze it out you can have 2 subs!!! I know that alot depends on personal preference of sound but what would YOU put together and why???? Thanks in advance for helping me do a little research!!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'd check out **********, or better yet give them a call. I'd be thinking about an MFW-15 sub ($599) + 3 x-cs ([email protected]) for fronts and 2 x-ls ($219/pr) for rears. That should come in well under $1500 shipped, as they will give you a good "family discount". I'd really want their opinion on sub for that room though. I'd talk to Hsu and SVS as well. Sub is critical if you do a lot of HT. You may be able to get 2 MFW-15s in that scenario; just beg for a great discount and maybe stretch budget a hair.

I'd also consider PSB Image-25s for front speakers, and maybe their Alphas for rears. 25s will pump out a lot of sound for your large room, but they will really push your budget and likely limit what you can spend on sub.

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,682 Posts
I'd recommend you not go beyond 5.1 and that you only get one sub. Better yet would be to start with 3.0 or 3.1 on your budget and then add a sub/surrounds later (that is if you want a better system that you will probably be happy with longer than if you get it all at once).

For speakers, in addition to those mentioned so far, I'd take a look at Cambridge Soundworks. They don't post specs so their speakers are underappreciated, but many of them are very good and a great value. I'd also look at Axiom. And I'd look at SVS and HSU for speakers and subs. Outlaw also has a well respected sub but their new bookshelf speaker (which looks very interesting) is outside your budget unless you were willing to start with a 2.1 system.

And I second the suggestion that you go listen to as many brands as you can to learn what you like and don't like, both in and outside your price range.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yamaha 659 and JBL Venue series (Stadium). I was really leaning this way, until I hung out here and decided I needed more. This place gets expensive.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Here is my setup.

Era Design 4 front mains($600/Pr) and center channel($300 open box)

Era Design 3 Rear surrounds($400/Pr)

Bic Acoustech H-100 Sub $200

$1500 total. Now I know the center channel would add another $200 brand new. However, there are actually a few of the D4 and D3 speakers available on the used market right now. If you must have all brand new equipment for $1500 then leave the sub out. These ERA speakers do pretty well on the low end by themselves!

http://www.signalpathint.com/index.p...d=32&Itemid=45

·
Registered
934 Posts
JC32, by all means you should try and listen to these options yourself, but if you are really focused on HT, especially action movies, then don't skimp on sub and do go with 5.1. You can skimp on the surrounds from a price standpoint, but I think you are cheating yourself some if you don't have those channels hooked up.

IMO, some of the suggestions you are getting would be more valid if you were more concerned with music than HT.

If you are cool with spending more money later than I'd say go with 5.1 now and add another sub later if you think you need it.

Let us know what you decide and how it sounds!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I may buy a reciever that is 7.1 capable but just start out 5.1. I know I need to go listen to some but haven't been anywhere that I can. I did listen to so Klipsch speakers and they were fine but nothing else to compare to. I definitely want the bass for the "experience" in watching a movie!! Everyone here is so informative which makes making a decision even harder!! I am gonna keep researching and ya'll keep giving good information!!!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
That's a pretty big room, so I might put more $ towards a sub. I also suggest you get out there and listen, or bring in some of the internet direct speakers for an audition in your home. I'd suggest the SVS 5.0 package for 599: http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

This leaves 900 for a sub which would get you a 20-39 Pc Plus: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-plpow2.cfm

Or perhaps this from HSU: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3-ho.html

You could add the rear surrounds later as well as a second sub should you decide to go that route. I'd also suggest room treatments and EQ for your subs down the road, those will make a huge improvement in sound quality.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For LR speakers I have to have true bookshelves!! Really can't be much over 12" tall due to the entertainment center. Will try to take pics tonight then will have to learn to post them!!!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Look at the Seas coax kits at madisound.com for LCR, which they also carry cabinets for ($720 for LCR, plus shipping). Consider something like a Vifa MG10 mounted in a PVC pipe firing upwards for your surrounds (~$200 for a 7.1 channel system), and then you have ~500 to play with for the sub.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/0

Agreed..but with a sub capable for that room, I think it puts him well over the $1500 mark.

Isn't this hobby all about breaking budgets? LOL

What's a few hundred over for pure audio bliss.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC32 /forum/post/0

Need help with the best bookshelf that is no taller than 12"!!!! Rti4's???? Please help!!

You had your answer in POST # 8. For the price the ERA D4's just can not be beat especially in the low end. They are only 9.6 inches tall and they are absolutely beautiful. If you haven't heard these speakers yet then find a dealer on their website and go take a listen!

http://www.signalpathint.com/index.p...d=32&Itemid=45

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
HT in a large room(25x25x15) ????

With HT 90% of all sound is from the Sub and the center channel and with that room you need some power out of your sub!!

Just keep that in mind when you are listening anywhere. You will demo the mains more then the others get them home and your HT will sound like crap because you didnt listen to the center channel and sub more!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.