AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had some AR front towers for some time now and just resently ordered a center and the surround (got today) and was wondering where on the scale AR kinda stands? I know there not awsome but I know I have been extremly happy with them so far. I do know I need more power though so ill soon be adding a Denon AVR-5803. Just was wondering peoples take on AR. Any and ALL comments welcome.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hello FieroLoki

Nothing wrong with AR. They have been making good speakers for many years, although they now choose to sell more through high-volume mass distribution channels like CC or BB. Relax and enjoy them. :)

Michael

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
I have a pair of AR3's and the AR2C center speaker. They are excellent for the price. AR was one of the most respected speakers several years ago but this is no longer true. They still offer excellent sound at an excellent value.

What towers do you have? Generally AR's are very efficient and can be driven with less power than the 5803.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The towers are model 318 PS. In normal stereo mode they just rock, and the whole neighborhood can hear em, but last night was the first time ive ever used them in a complete surround mode. And I had to turn it up alot more than in stereo mode.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Which receiver do you have? What are you using for center and surround speakers? When you are driving at least 5 speakers in surround it is normal to have to increase the volume control higher than in stereo.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Running 215ps for surround and a psc25 center running of a new RCA Pro series STAV-3990 reciver (cant remeber which Pioneer model that is though)

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
FieroLoki,

The efficiency of your speakers are about 89db which is average. More power will result in less volume drop when using surround modes. You will not likely see a huge increase in overall loudness but more power produces smoother sound and clarity at all levels.

I should probably stop here but have you considered seperates? Rotel RSP1066 processor ($1495) Rotel 1095 200 watts x5 (1995) or Rotel 1075 120 watts x 5 ($999). The RSP 1066 combined with either amp will sound better than any receiver (maybe my opinion only) at less cost than the 5803.

I hope that you explore all possibilities before spending big bucks.

Best of luck with your choice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a pair of AR 2ax speakers in the early 1970s. They were replaced with two pair of AR LST2 speakers in the mid 1970s. This was when AR was still in New England. The speakers of the orignal AR were of the "New England" school of sound (as contrasted to the west coast school of sound. The new england sound had a rolled-off high end whereas the west coast sound, typified by JBL, had a much brighter high end. At that time, I found the brigher high end of the west coast sound to be initially more attractive but, in many cases, listener fatigue set in much sooner because of the peaky and irregular high end response of some of the tweeters used.

Tweeters have come a long way since then and flat frequency amplitude response of speakers is the design norm nowadays.

I presently own a pair of AR 215ps that are driven by a Crown D60 amp that gets a signal from my computer's sound card. This is the new AR based out of CA. For what they cost, these little, port loaded, speakers sound pretty good.

The original AR was founded by the person who invented the acoustic suspension woofer and all of their speaker systems used the acoustic suspension design. The new AR does not exclusively use acoustic suspension woofers.

Paul

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have looked into seperates a bit now. But never decided on any. After looking over Rotels site, and say I got the RSP-1066 and the RMB-1095. I would still need the FM tuner in order to hear radio correct? Or did I miss that on the 1066? I wouldnt mind having "more" stuff on the rack so im not agianst seperates at all, just never found any to my liking really. For me a BIG consideration is looks. If it doesnt look great I dont want it even if its the absolute best there is ever. Thanx for the help, ill go digging some more. :)

Quote:
Originally posted by HTMAN21
FieroLoki,

The efficiency of your speakers are about 89db which is average. More power will result in less volume drop when using surround modes. You will not likely see a huge increase in overall loudness but more power produces smoother sound and clarity at all levels.

I should probably stop here but have you considered seperates? Rotel RSP1066 processor ($1495) Rotel 1095 200 watts x5 (1995) or Rotel 1075 120 watts x 5 ($999). The RSP 1066 combined with either amp will sound better than any receiver (maybe my opinion only) at less cost than the 5803.

I hope that you explore all possibilities before spending big bucks.

Best of luck with your choice.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
FieroLoki,

===================================================

If it doesnt look great I dont want it even if its the absolute best there is ever.

==================================================

You can't imagine how familiar I am with this statement. My closest friend recently finished his home theater (about $100,000). He was more concerned about looks than sound even with this investment.

Anyways, the Rotel does not have a tuner built in. Looks and sound are personal but I think that the new silver faced Rotels are among the most beautiful pieces of equipment available. You may feel differently but please take a look. As for the 5803 I think that it is also one or the best looking receivers available today. My first choice goes to the Rotel RSX1065 receiver.

I have owned about evry receiver available, some being Denon 4802, B&K 307, Yamaha DSP A1, Onkyo 989, Integra 8.2, and Kenwood 6070. The Kenwood was as good as any for home theater but failed in stereo music.

I always knew something was missing so I got the Rotel 1066 processor and Sherbourn 5/1500 amp. None of the mentioned receivers come close to sounding this good.

Again I say, listen to other opinions but make the final decision based on what you prefer. Keep us posted on your decision.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ill have to go take Rotel for a test drive. And I will say this, they look gooooooood. :p

·
Registered
166 Posts
Speaking of good looks, I recently purchased a "complete" set of the Acoustic Research Phantom series speakers. I have:

(1) 252c Center Channel

(2) 8.3 for left and right front

(4) 6.2 for side and rear surrounds

Link to Sound and Vision Review of the Phantoms

These are the sleek, modern-looking "flat" ones that are aluminum with a black grill. I have yet to hook them all up at once because they will be installed in the family room of my new house that won't be done until mid-January. Eventually they will be driven by the Pioneer Elite 47Tx, but they are just sitting in the boxes for now. I did get a chance to test them, two at a time, with an older Sony Receiver I have though.

From what I heard, I find them to be nice and clean with plenty of high-end and good separation without being too bright. I tend to like a brighter-sounding speakers myself, but I can identify with the fatigue caused by certain tweeters. These speakers seemed nice and "smooth". Obviously, I'm no audiophile, so it's kind of difficult for me to explain, but I think that the nicest thing about these speakers is, for example, if you are right up next to the right speaker (say, 6 inches), and the left speaker is about 6-feet away, you can still hear a good stereo image. In other words, the two speakers sound very "separate" from one another, but they work together to build a relatively wide sound stage with, what is in my opinion, a fairly large "sweet spot". There is probably a good term for that situation, but I don't have the vocabulary to know what it is yet.

The only downside to these speakers, as far as I can see is that have no deep bass output to speak of at all. The cabinets are only about 3 inces deep though, so whaddauwant? :p I will be using them with an SVS sub though, so I think I'll be covered on the low end of the spectrum. :D These speakers will be used nearly100% for home theater, and very little music playback.

I will be wall mounting these things around a Plasma that will be above a fireplace, and am very much looking forward to it! The reason I bought them so early (and not two months from now) is that they were discontinued by AR last year, and the inventories of online retailers are really starting to dwindle on these models. I snatched them up from Soundpros.com (BTW a great online retailer IMO).

I think that these speakers were just sort of ahead of their time in terms of their application. Not too many people had Flat-Panel TVs back when AR was first making the Phantoms, so they were probably not selling the way AR had hoped they would. I bet that a few years from now, AR (and other speaker companies) might revisit marketing the a Phantom-like design because flat-panel TVs will be getting more and more common as time goes on.

Cheers!

-THEO-

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I bought AR4s at least 15 years ago whose cone surrounds decayed after less than two years. (I know there are repair kits -- I gave them away though.)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive seen the Phantoms and know where to get them, just not my style. I like my front towers cause they act as a small shelf to. LOL!!! Been looking into Rotel more looking good so far. How is Outlaw Audio?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't have thousands of dollars like some of you. I was thinking about buying the HKTS 10 speaker package. Anyone have any input on these speakers? I can get them for $350. I know nothing about speakers and would appreciate any input on what brand i should get or the one to stay away from.

thanks

emo:confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.