AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone here is using a class d amplifier and or a pro amplifier in their home theater or two channel rig.

I have been using a crown xls 1500 for a couple weeks now and have been very happy, but it is the first separate amplifier I have ever owned. Has anyone here converted over from class a/b or class a?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Most of the issues with switching amps have been overcome and they are transparent for the most part these days. Pioneer, as you may know, puts them in their top line AV receivers. As long as it has a low noise floor and a quiet fan, it should be fine.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
I have the same amp it's fine and sounds as good or better to me than some class A/B amps I've owned /own including a phase linear 700B .

I wont go so far as to say they sound better than a similar power McIntosh power amp

but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't far apart in most situations maybe even indistinguishable at times on the same speakers and level matched although I can not verify that.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have used a QSC 1450 for powering mains and it was terrific. I especially liked cranking it for 2 channel music, radio. Then one of the Gain trim pots (variable resistor) became scratchy and needed replacing. Currently using a Behringer iNUKE NU3000DSP for powering mains and it is terrific also, just different. Much lighter than the RMX1450, fan is a little louder but once you turn the volume up (which is why people get pro-amps) it is inaudible. I'm picking up some very faint high frequency noise (only with no input and you'ld have to be listening for it) from probably the TV which sits 6" directly above it and again it is inaudible once the volume is increased. The noise is not amplified along with the input. I'm using 2 different gain settings, one for stereo (almost max) and another for multi-channel (~60%) so as not to drown out the surround speakers when watching movies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts