AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Vizio L32 LCD TV from Sams club a few weeks ago. I am not sure I am happy with it. The PQ is pretty good with my HR10-250 HD TiVo. But, cable TV using the NTSC tuner is very bad. Lots of ghosting. I also do not like how the PQ is with my PowerBook G4 connected to it using a DVI to HDMI cable. The set does not pixel map 1:1. I am thinking of taking it back and getting a Syntax Olevia LT32HV instead.

The Syntax does 1366x768, has a higher Viewing Angle 178°(H) / 178°(V), better Brightness 800 cdm/2, higher Contrast Ratio 1200:1 and better Response Time 8ms.

The Vizio does 1366x768, has a Viewing Angle of 170°(H) / 170°(V), Brightness of 500 cdm/2, a Contrast Ratio 800:1 and a Response Time of 12ms.

I have not read much on the Vizio at all. I have heard nothing but good things about the Syntax line.

I just wanted your thoughts.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi myunk, I looked at this model at Sam's just last night, so my impressions are still fresh in my mind. Here goes:

1) Scaling from component input seemed OK, but not as good as some high end models I have seen (like Sharp or Philips). Not a deal breaker.

2) "Color" setting was way too high at default. Had to turn it down to 25 (out of 100) just to make image look like film should look (the movie feed was from "The Pacifier" with Vin Diesel). Worrisome, but not a deal breaker.

3) Black levels were predictably lousy, but not as bad as my 27" Olevia. Not a deal breaker at this price.

4) Overall brightness from the backlight was surprising low! I had to turn up the backlight all the way to 90 (out of 100) to make it look OK. This could definitely be a deal breaker if you are going to be doing any viewing in a daylight environment!

Overall, I was underwhelmed by this set. I would strongly consider the Tatung/Winbook 32" instead, which has been getting some positive feedback on this forum. Unfortunately, my Sam's Club did not have the Tatung in the store, even though it is listed on the Sam's Club website. If you have a Microcenter near you, the Winbook version might be worth a look.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know the model number of this Tatung/Winbook?

If it is the Tatung V32FLBB-U02, that does not look all that good spec wise...

If you are refering to the WinBook LC32, that is not getting good reviews either...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myunk
Do you know the model number of this Tatung/Winbook?

If it is the Tatung V32FLBB-U02, that does not look all that good spec wise...

If you are refering to the WinBook LC32, that is not getting good reviews either...
Yep on the Tatung, nope on the Winbook - it's not the LC32, it's the other 32" on Microcenter's website, SKU 725069. As for specs, I guess it depends: 1366x768 and 10ms pixel response sound good to me - only the 550:1 contrast sounds weak, but that's typical of cheap LCDs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lazyn00b, that Winbook looks okay, but the Syntax Olevia LT32HV still looks better spec wise to me. I don't see anything in this price range better than this Syntax. I guess I will give it a try. Newegg has it for $1099.00.

None of the lower end LCD's offer Super-In-Plane-Switching or a contrast ratio as high as this Syntax either.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled the trigger on the LT32HV, I got it from BuyDig.com for $1095 (no tax) (free shipping) + $100 MIR. Total after rebate is $995

That is less than I paid for the Vizio L32 (after tax) that I am returning to Sams Club as soon as this TV arrives.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I sure wouldn't believe specs given by the manufacturer.. I've seen the winbook next to the Syntax and the winbook wins hands down in PQ. This is the reason I purchased the winbook. The 550:1 CR for the winbook is realistic, where as the 800:1 or whatever the Syntax is is definetly a lie. Specs for LCD's mean practically nothing imo. The Sharps list their CR at 800:1, which is probably pretty close to what it is, and syntax somehow has the same CR? You get my point..

My only gripe about the winbook is its lack of an hdmi input.. although it is slightly older so that's understandable. PQ is VERY good over component watching DVD's/HD tv/video games. What I absolutely love about the winbook is its very fast response time. I have it hooked upto my computer and have tried playing fps games on it and there's ZERO ghosting. I just wanted to put in a good word for this set, because too many people buy things based on b.s. manufacturer specs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, all I can say is the LT32HV I got looks great. PQ is noticebly better than the Vizio I had.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I just saw the Vizio today because Iw as looking at buying it. I was very disappointed. Not in the sense the set sucks, but it was next to a Samsung. It looked bad. I tweaked, but the main issue I had was the Samsung was noticeably crisper. The detail and edges were crisp, the Vizio was softer, and looked blurry when comparing the two. The Maxent 32" was pretty crisp, but it's just an ugly TV.

I think I'll get a Sharp for a few hundred more. Or see what the Westy 32" looks like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.