AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im going to be building a HTPC for gaming mainly.

TO connect to my Sanyo z3 via HDMI - I hear this is the best way from a PC!

I need to know what is your TOP 5 picks for video cards. I have searched on this forum, and i think this post will be most useful to many!!

SO WHAT IS YOUR TOP 5 CHOICE FOR VIDEO CARDS FOR GAMING?

THanks for the input - this is important to me. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
There is a gaming forum, you could ask there and probably get a better response. Or is that one mainly for console types?

I think X800 series ATIs or 6800 series nVidias are probably the best bang for the buck these days.

Good luck, have fun, party on,

Gerald

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Check out the gamer sites. People here are gamers have to take DVD/HDTV into account so a pure gamers site would be better....

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
If price is not an issue, I find the BFG 7800 GTX to be the best (over $500). If price is sort of an issue, go for the EVGA 7800 GT ($400). If price is more of an issue than that, then the EVGA 6800 GT is a good choice ($300). The best bang-for-the-buck is the EVGA 7800 GT. I don't recommend ATI cards for serious gamers at this point because of their lack of shader model 3.0 and HDR rendering. Of course I didn't take fan noise into consideration, purely gaming performance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THanks for the great help MSmith83

I have been hearing a lot of 6800 talk, i have a ati in my home pc, i may try a nvidia 6800 for my htpc..thanks!

·
Registered
633 Posts
don't get too caught up in shader 3.0 compatibility...it's better technology, but the majority of titles out there don't use it. sure, one day it will be more widely adopted, but one day there will be newer cards too.

$0.02,

dookie

(who runs an ati x800)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THanks - i got another question:

If my Sanyo Z3 is 1280x720 Pixels native - should i buy a card that does that to?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
or HIGHER THE BETTER resolution?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1
don't get too caught up in shader 3.0 compatibility...it's better technology, but the majority of titles out there don't use it. sure, one day it will be more widely adopted, but one day there will be newer cards too.

$0.02,

dookie

(who runs an ati x800)
Well, you need to see HDR rendering then.

·
Registered
669 Posts
7800 gt for the money

any current nvidia or ati card will do 1280x720

but chances are you will want to run a custom rez

to compensate for overscan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.