AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sold on the Panny 50" 7 series but realizing the challenges created by lots of natural sunlight in my viewing room has encouraged me to pose this question to our esteemed peer group. :cool:

I have quite a bit of sunlight coming into my apartment living room from a windown opposite the plasma will be mounted on. I have long white blinds currently which blocks some light but still allow the room to brighten up significantly on sunny days. The blinds also cast lines over the opposite wall where the plasma will be mounted, which is a concern. Because it's an apartment ideally I can avoid purchasing a heavy curtain or some other expensive tool to completely block light out. Plus, I actually do like having some light come in during the daytime even though it diminishes PQ.

While I expect the bulk of my tv watching will be done during the evenings and will be movies, I do expect to watch some daytime tv (sporting events and the occassional show or movie). This started to make me nervous in the last couple days in contemplating a new Pioneer vs. the 7 series Panny. I've read a lot of threads where many people say if you've got daylight in your room then the obvious choice is Pioneer. But I've also read rharknesses reports on the new Pioneers and their continued black level problems. I tend to like movies that have a lot of black in them: trilogies like LOR, Matrix, Star Wars, etc., comic book adaptations, etc.

Can anyone comment on whether the daytime viewing benefit of one of the new Pioneer Elites trumps the better black picture quality and *far* superior value of the Panny? In other words, can someone imagine a scenario where when value is a major criteria but you had a lot of daylight filtering into your apartment that you regretted going with a Panny 7 series instead of a Pioneer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
694 Posts
ghileman-

Until you deal with the "light" lines from the blinds you will be unhappy with either choice.

If you have "mini blinds" add a set of vertical blinds. If you have "vertical blinds" add mini blinds. Your room will not be completely dark this way but the lines will be gone from the wall until the cat moves the blinds.

Good luck

Lew

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have had the same discussion with many members here. After many opinions, the concensus was to go with the Pioneer for a "brighter" room and a Panny for a darker one

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
We have a similar situation in the daytime. If you're concerned about it, I'd look more into what brand of plasma has the least reflection. I'm not sure about this, but I seem to recall some mention of NEC plasmas having a less reflective screen. Alternatively you could get a mount that allows the plasma to be tilted slightly. I've found on the Panasonic that viewing from a chair placed on the side of the room instead of directly in front of the plasma removes most/all of the glare. Likewise, sitting on the floor vs. sitting on the couch can remove the glare. I think the Panasonic's brightness is fine in a bright room, but the glare can be an issue depending on how much it bothers you.

·
Registered
607 Posts
How about broadening your search criteria? Just because this is the official unofficial panny fan club doesn't mean they are the only company making good sets at a good value (and this is coming from someone who might well buy a 7uy in the near future).

Sounds like your PQ priority list is:

1. bright punchy colors

2. non reflective screen

3. good black levels

Combine that with required inputs, viewing distance, viewing habits, how long you intend to keep the set and you'll probably find that panny and pio aren't the only choices.

overtime

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the feedback.

aren't the new Pioneers using NEC glass? i think i remember reading this somewhere in a Pioneer bought NEC thread. that could make it the best of both worlds, no?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.