1 - 20 of 2413 Posts

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I am trying it out at the moment. I had a spare first generation Chromecast lying around so I am using that display to my TV and controlling the video with a spare cellphone.

Initial impressions are

1. slow to cast but a messages does pop saying you are using a 1st generation Chromecast so it might take 30s or so show a picture. Once it shows the PQ is pretty good - 720P at least I would say which is fine for broadcast TV. But tht same 30s delay occurs when you change channel also.
2. No background channels like CNN, Cooking etc. which are my go to channels when there is nothing else on to be used a background TV
3. 2.0 audio. I tried both into the TV and into my AVR and it's 2.0 audio and that was confirmed with Google tech support. Since Google Play movies supports 5.1 audio as well as Netflix, how hard can it be to stream 5.1 audio for TV?
4. WAF is probably low. If I go all into this I will probably find a cheap tablet as the controller and mount it near the TV or near the couch

Like the DVR facility. I am recording anything remotely interesting since there are no space constraints and shows stay up for 9 months.

I will probably watch out the free trial, pay for one month and get the free Chromecast and then see what developments have occurred since then such as more channels and better audio. Also the newer Chromecast should perform better.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, CNN is a pretty big omission as well as HBO. So they have to cut a deal with Time-Warner.

But AT&T is trying to acquire TW so once that happens, it may be less likely they cut a deal with Google, since they have DirecTV Now and D*.

However the more TV streaming services the better, if it keeps the package prices down.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Nome of the TV competitors apps support 5.1 audi0.

I am trying it out at the moment. I had a spare first generation Chromecast lying around so I am using that display to my TV and controlling the video with a spare cellphone.

Initial impressions are

1. slow to cast but a messages does pop saying you are using a 1st generation Chromecast so it might take 30s or so show a picture. Once it shows the PQ is pretty good - 720P at least I would say which is fine for broadcast TV. But tht same 30s delay occurs when you change channel also.
2. No background channels like CNN, Cooking etc. which are my go to channels when there is nothing else on to be used a background TV
3. 2.0 audio. I tried both into the TV and into my AVR and it's 2.0 audio and that was confirmed with Google tech support. Since Google Play movies supports 5.1 audio as well as Netflix, how hard can it be to stream 5.1 audio for TV?
4. WAF is probably low. If I go all into this I will probably find a cheap tablet as the controller and mount it near the TV or near the couch

Like the DVR facility. I am recording anything remotely interesting since there are no space constraints and shows stay up for 9 months.

I will probably watch out the free trial, pay for one month and get the free Chromecast and then see what developments have occurred since then such as more channels and better audio. Also the newer Chromecast should perform better.
I have checked out each and every TV streaming service and nearly all of them only support 2.0 audio. I find it really insulting that these companies think this is acceptable because the majority of people are watching some of this content on a phone or tablet with barely stero capability. I have a 7.1 audio setup at home and I find it very telling that illegal downloads have better sound quality than the official streaming apps made by the content holders. THIS IS WHY!!!! They need to step up their game if they want to ***** about how they are getting ripped off, they spend how much on law firms that put a stop to Kodi boxes and addons but they can't be bothered to add 5.1 audio to their apps? Pathetic.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I have checked out each and every TV streaming service and nearly all of them only support 2.0 audio. I find it really insulting that these companies think this is acceptable because the majority of people are watching some of this content on a phone or tablet with barely stero capability. I have a 7.1 audio setup at home and I find it very telling that illegal downloads have better sound quality than the official streaming apps made by the content holders. THIS IS WHY!!!! They need to step up their game if they want to ***** about how they are getting ripped off, they spend how much on law firms that put a stop to Kodi boxes and addons but they can't be bothered to add 5.1 audio to their apps? Pathetic.
Write the companies telling them you want dolby digital 5.1, a guy over at Hulu said nobody seems to fighting for it. Companies don't read internet forums, be vocal where it counts. Paper is power! and it can't be deleted by a key press.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Write the companies telling them you want dolby digital 5.1, a guy over at Hulu said nobody seems to fighting for it. Companies don't read internet forums, be vocal where it counts. Paper is power! and it can't be deleted by a key press.
What I find interesting is that 5.1 audio is available via streaming if yo use a device like a Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, PS3 etc.

I regularly watch shows in 5.1 audio streaming from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu (and they actually tend to be DD+ in 5.1)

It's just the 2.0 if you are watching on a browser or Chromecast.

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I find interesting is that 5.1 audio is available via streaming if yo use a device like a Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, PS3 etc.

I regularly watch shows in 5.1 audio streaming from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu (and they actually tend to be DD+ in 5.1)

It's just the 2.0 if you are watching on a browser or Chromecast.
I didn't get 5.1 with DirecTV Now nor Hulu on Apple TV.

I don't think Hulu does 5.1 but one of the Hulu Originals is apparently streamed in Canada, by another provider, at 5.1 and maybe 1080p instead of 720p.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have checked out each and every TV streaming service and nearly all of them only support 2.0 audio. I find it really insulting that these companies think this is acceptable...
Agreed 100%. Youtube TV support claims 5.1 is "coming", but doesn't say when, fwiw.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Agreed 100%. Youtube TV support claims 5.1 is "coming", but doesn't say when, fwiw.
5.1 on a live stream is tricky because you're doing it on the fly., Vod not so much so. Direct TV Now tried it with HBO on a live stream for awhile but now it's just on demand. Hulu has it the works. Live streaming is very young and still has things to work out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, I can confirm that as of 12/30/2017, YouTube TV still does not support 5.1 audio. This sucks. Does anyone know if HULU live has it yet?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well, I can confirm that as of 12/30/2017, YouTube TV still does not support 5.1 audio. This sucks. Does anyone know if HULU live has it yet?
NO streaming service has it for live tv, and probably won't get it. Hulu doesn't have it for on demand. Just simulate it, you won't know the difference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Trying the 7 day trail and bummed they don’t have a roku app yet... kinda glitch casting form my phone without the tv app... think when they get the app for roku, this may be a great service. Like he unlimited recording capabilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Trying the 7 day trail and bummed they don’t have a roku app yet... kinda glitch casting form my phone without the tv app... think when they get the app for roku, this may be a great service. Like he unlimited recording capabilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 and 2017 models of Samsung and LG sets. Not sure about the ETA on other brands....

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Daily driver on our shields, replaced cable tv for our household
What is Daily driver? Googled it but didn't see anything that could be related...sorry if I missed it!

Reactions: Primestar31

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
NO streaming service has it for live tv, and probably won't get it. Hulu doesn't have it for on demand. Just simulate it, you won't know the difference.
I'm getting 5.1 surround on some channels with DirecTV Now using a first gen Fire TV stick, the same channels are in stereo with a 4K ATV. Both are connected to an Anthem D2 preamp.

What is Daily driver? Googled it but didn't see anything that could be related...sorry if I missed it!
I'll go out on a limb and say he's referring to YouTube TV, you know, the subject of this thread.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Anyone else having problems with FF/RR on recordings?

I've had this happen several times over the past week where you FF or RR and it just gets stuck, no data transfer. You FF or RR a few seconds and hit play again and it works.

Tonight during the Rams/Falcons game I recorded the game, stopped watching. Came back and it goes to Live TV so I know to mute it and just hit RR. No matter what I did I could not go back an hour and play.

Ended up having to change the channel off/back to NBC and missed the recording.

This is on a '17 Samsung 62xx series 4K with the native app.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Anyone else having problems with FF/RR on recordings?

I've had this happen several times over the past week where you FF or RR and it just gets stuck, no data transfer. You FF or RR a few seconds and hit play again and it works.

Tonight during the Rams/Falcons game I recorded the game, stopped watching. Came back and it goes to Live TV so I know to mute it and just hit RR. No matter what I did I could not go back an hour and play.

Ended up having to change the channel off/back to NBC and missed the recording.

This is on a '17 Samsung 62xx series 4K with the native app.
Never had that happen. Did have minor glitch today when I wanted to start watching a game on NBC sports an hour after recording started. I hit the "go to start of recording icon" then wanted to skip ahead 10 minutes to start of actual game. Screen froze but it did keep recording. After a few tries did get it going. Was able to skip thru commercials as usual.

Like using Google Home mini to say "Hey Google, Fast Forward TV 2 and half minutes".

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and say he's referring to YouTube TV, you know, the subject of this thread.
Considering my question was not addressed towards you, is there a reason you felt the need to reply with a sarcastic answer?

1 - 20 of 2413 Posts