AVS Forum banner

2101 - 2120 of 2255 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
It looks like it’s comparable in cost to Hulu Live TV ($54.99) plus Hulu’s Enhanced DVR (200 hours for an additional $9.99) but just two concurrent streams.

The additional channels that YT is adding aren’t worth much so I guess this says they can’t be profitable at current pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Oh boy I just subscribed two days ago. A $5 dollar increase I could stomach but $15 is way too much. I’ll be shopping around.

·
Registered
18,190 Posts
At $64.99, a $15 price increase, YouTube TV is out of their minds. The new channels being offered are not worth the price nor have I watched any of them in over a decade. YouTube TV needs to create a tiered structure whereby we don't have to pay for these extra channels that are probably not wanted by the most users since we have not had them thus far. They are basically forcing you to pay for channels that you don't want and will never watch. Once the price goes up, its BYE BYE YouTube TV and find a better alternative. I can get a better deal from my cable provider Optimum than what YouTube TV is offering at this price point.
It would be interesting to see how many subs they lose.

It looks like it’s comparable in cost to Hulu Live TV ($54.99) plus Hulu’s Enhanced DVR (200 hours for an additional $9.99) but just two concurrent streams.

The additional channels that YT is adding aren’t worth much so I guess this says they can’t be profitable at current pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, I was just perusing the Hulu live website. They seem to offer even less for the same $65 (enhanced DVR add on).

Reactions: sparky7

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
It would be interesting to see how many subs they lose.

Yeah, I was just perusing the Hulu live website. They seem to offer even less for the same $65 (enhanced DVR add on).

You do get the Hulu streaming service included though. We have a few weeks to figure this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
This certainly will affect those who subscribe to Philo to complement their subscription to YTTV. Once they add all the Viacom channels, only the Scripps, A&E and Hallmark channels won't be duplicated between the two services.

$15 for Viacom is very pricey. Considering that Philo costs $20, and includes the following 60 channels (duplicates to YTTV in bold); Viacom = (V):

• A&E
  • AMC
  • American Heroes Channel
  • Animal Planet
  • aspireTV
  • AXS TV
  • BBC America
  • BBC World News
  • BET (V)
  • BET Her (V)
  • Cheddar
  • CLEO TV
  • CMT (V)
  • Comedy Central (V)
  • Cooking Channel
  • Destination America
  • Discovery Channel
  • Discovery Family
  • Discovery Life
  • DIY Network
  • Food Network
  • FYI
  • Game Show Network
  • getTV
  • Great American Country
  • Hallmark Channel
  • Hallmark Drama
  • Hallmark Movies & Mysteries
  • HGTV
  • History
  • IFC
  • INSP
  • Investigation Discovery
  • Law&Crime
  • Lifetime
  • Lifetime Movies
  • Logo
  • Motor Trend
  • MTV (V)
  • MTV Classic (V)
  • MTV Live (V)
  • MTV2 (V)
  • Nick Jr. (V)
  • Nickelodeon (V)
  • Nicktoons (V)
  • Oprah Winfrey Network
  • Paramount Network (V)
  • PeopleTV
  • REVOLT
  • Science Channel
  • Sundance TV
  • Tastemade
  • TeenNick (V)
  • Travel Channel
  • TV Land (V)
  • TLC
  • UPtv
  • VH1 (V)
  • Vice
  • WE tv
In the end, this move will hurt both providers. Eventually half of Philo's channels will be duplicates on YTTV.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
We all knew the day would come when they all began to jack up the prices. After all, no one cut the cord if they're subscribing to one of these services, that just changed the delivery of the bits.

It's following the cableco model, just accelerated unfortunately. Who knows, maybe they've breathed some life back into those "old school" services.

I really liked YTTV, it met all my needs right out of the gate before ANY of the channel adds. In fact, if I could get Fox Business and the Big10 channel (OK and the rest of college football) in a single offering, that's all I'd need. The ret of the channels rarely get watched on my setup.

I had hope that google at least understood tiered pricing but I always knew they had a knack for making money.

I'm a bit miffed that we've been carrying their costs for the ESPN channels for 6 months with no content. I had hoped to see something returned from that but never was going to hold my breath.

I'd be interested to know what others find in their research.

I've got a good selection of OTA in my market and until I hear about College Football plans I'll probably suspend my account in a few weeks when my price change is due to hit. I've sent the obligatory email of disgust but we all know where those will be delivered.

It was a good ride while it lasted.

Again, I'll be looking to see what others come up with. For now my plans are my EMBY server and the local air waves :) We'll see if anything changes in the next few weeks.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
153 Posts
The hard part is finding a service with ESPN, FS1, FS2, and BTN without having to have multiple providers. This is why i subscribed to YTTV. Of course, we may be looking at the possibility of no college football or basketball until next year.

Fubo comes close, but you will need Disney+ for ESPN. Why no ESPN? It costs $16/subscriber, the reason why Fubo doesn't carry it.

See Fubo Family, Fubo Standard or Fubo Ultra: https://www.fubo.tv/welcome/channels

We all knew the day would come when they all began to jack up the prices. After all, no one cut the cord if they're subscribing to one of these services, that just changed the delivery of the bits.

It's following the cableco model, just accelerated unfortunately. Who knows, maybe they've breathed some life back into those "old school" services.

I really liked YTTV, it met all my needs right out of the gate before ANY of the channel adds. I had hope that google at least understood tiered pricing but I always knew they had a knack for making money.

I'm a bit miffed that we've been carrying their costs for the ESPN channels for 6 months with no content. I had hoped to see something returned from that but never was going to hold my breath.

I'd be interested to know what others find in their research.

I've got a good selection of OTA in my market and until I hear about College Football plans I'll probably suspend my account in a few weeks when my price change is due to hit. I've sent the obligatory email of disgust but we all know where those will be delivered.

It was a good ride while it lasted.

Again, I'll be looking to see what others come up with. For now my plans are my EMBY server and the local air waves :) We'll see if anything changes in the next few weeks.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I bought the 3 year intro to Disney+. Truthfully, I was unaware it included the ESPN channels. Guess I need to look at that more closely. My wife wanted it and honestly, I don't think she's watched 3 movies since launch ;)

But yes, what you say is exactly why I thought YTTV was a gift when it launched. FINALLY, I thought, I can get only what I want and for only $30/mos :)

The hard part is finding a service with ESPN, FS1, FS2, and BTN without having to have multiple providers. This is why i subscribed to YTTV. Of course, we may be looking at the possibility of no college football or basketball until next year.

Fubo comes close, but you will need Disney+ for ESPN. Why no ESPN? It costs $16/subscriber, teh reason why Fubo doesn't carry it.

See Fubo Family, Fubo Standard or Fubo Ultra: https://www.fubo.tv/welcome/channels

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Philo looks ideal for us. $20 i can deal with. I already have perfect signals for locals via HDHomrRun. Might give it a try.
Have you guys/gals recvd the "official" notice from YTTV? I only know about this from this group and Cord Cutter News.

DON'T FORGET. ---If you are going to drop YTTV simply SUSPEND your service. Thus, if you decide to come back all your settings and library is still there.

·
Registered
635 Posts
We're already paying separately for HULU with no ads, so we're switching to HULU With No Ads + Live TV and saving some money. The channel lineup and DVR size more than fits our needs.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
$15 increase for a handful of crappy channels is ridiculous. I might as well just switch to AT&T NOW for $55 a month and still get my regional sports channels, or spend $80 and get HBO Max and Cinemax included.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Have you guys/gals recvd the "official" notice from YTTV? I only know about this from this group and Cord Cutter News.

DON'T FORGET. ---If you are going to drop YTTV simply SUSPEND your service. Thus, if you decide to come back all your settings and library is still there.
Just got my notice 10 minutes ago. My price change takes effect August 16th. I will be cancelling.

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
got my notice 15 minutes ago and my price goes up on Aug 2. $15 increase is steep for 8 channels I will never watch.

If they added 5.1 audio I wouldn't mind so much. When is that going to happen.

DirecTV called me recently to get me back and they offered a package deal for $60 month including NFL Sunday ticket for 2020. Of course there may not be a football season.

2101 - 2120 of 2255 Posts