AVS Forum banner

2361 - 2380 of 2413 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes, it is till out there. After I posted, I found, on the YTTV site, that they do not offer Cinemax on demand through the app, but through YTTV itself. So, that si satisfactory; one less app to go through.

HBOmax not only screwed up on having multiple apps, but also not being available on Roku and Amazon Fire. They same issue plaguing Peacock. I side loaded HBOmax on my Fire Stick, and it seems to be working fine.. Anotehr screw up, was not streaming Cinemax content with HBOmax, to begin with.

Does Cinemax GO even exist anymore? I thought that app had been gone for years.

And I have a feeling, along with HBO Go, Cinemax GO is going away soon, if not already.

That is probably a reason why it is not available. It won't be surviving much longer.

HBO really screwed up their release of HBO MAX because all these other apps are still around. And this includes the Cinemax ones as well.

Made it just too damn confusing.

·
Registered
18,484 Posts
Peacock is now available on Roku.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Interesting. So do you feel your ATV does a better job of upconversion than your OLED?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It's very subjective and I have not done any extensive a/b comparisons but I find the picture on YTTV content better using my ATV 4k than using the YTTV app on the LG. But again, it's very subjective and that's JMO. Of the 3 streamers I have connected to my LG (Nvidia Shield, ATV 4k, and FireTV Stick 4k) I find the YTTV picture on all of them equal to or better than the app running on the LG. Again, it's one of the reasons why I don't use the apps running on the LG and use my streamers instead. Again, all JMO. But the performance, like switching between apps and so forth, is not really very subjective and the streamers are better IMO.

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's very subjective and I have not done any extensive a/b comparisons but I find the picture on YTTV content better using my ATV 4k than using the YTTV app on the LG. But again, it's very subjective and that's JMO. Of the 3 streamers I have connected to my LG (Nvidia Shield, ATV 4k, and FireTV Stick 4k) I find the YTTV picture on all of them equal to or better than the app running on the LG. Again, it's one of the reasons why I don't use the apps running on the LG and use my streamers instead. Again, all JMO. But the performance, like switching between apps and so forth, is not really very subjective and the streamers are better IMO.
Ah ok. Its completely the opposite on my C9. It is far better across the board. Plus I get Vision and Atmos on everything. No streamer can do that, so we need multiple ones. But it wouldn't matter to me as the pic and sound quality is better from my C9. Plus I always have the C9 doing the upconversion. I found out the hard way,, watching blurays on my Oppo UDP-205 looked soft and washed out a bit. Did some tweaking and now send out all video as source direct. Looks so much better now.... The LG webOS. Yes, that's the crappy part. But once all the apps are loaded in the quick launch area, it's tolerable.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Ah ok. Its completely the opposite on my C9. It is far better across the board. Plus I get Vision and Atmos on everything. No streamer can do that, so we need multiple ones. But it wouldn't matter to me as the pic and sound quality is better from my C9. Plus I always have the C9 doing the upconversion. I found out the hard way,, watching blurays on my Oppo UDP-205 looked soft and washed out a bit. Did some tweaking and now send out all video as source direct. Looks so much better now.... The LG webOS. Yes, that's the crappy part. But once all the apps are loaded in the quick launch area, it's tolerable.

All subjective but like I said, whatever is best for you is what you should use.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Has anyone come across the best settings for an Amazon Fire deice which improve the YTTV App "shuddering" issue. It looks a frames per second, resolution issue. No other app acts this way (Hulu, Tablo, Disney+, Metropolitan Opera, EPIX, Starz, CBS, Pluto or Stirr. Only the YTTV app has a video issue. Also, it seems, YTTV has not fix pixelization issue with the Showtime channels.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Has anyone come across the best settings for an Amazon Fire deice which improve the YTTV App "shuddering" issue. It looks a frames per second, resolution issue. No other app acts this way (Hulu, Tablo, Disney+, Metropolitan Opera, EPIX, Starz, CBS, Pluto or Stirr. Only the YTTV app has a video issue. Also, it seems, YTTV has not fix pixelization issue with the Showtime channels.
Although I can't help you, I know exactly what you're talking about. I never could rid my FTV4K of judder with live TV apps. I had PSVue and DTV Now and they forced me to use my ShieldTV for all live TV. Roku was also fine for some reason. Otherwise you get judder, skipped frames and blurry tickers when using the FTV. Ironically, my older FTV 4k Pendant was perfectly fine. But it was normally at my girlfriend's house, so I had to return it to her. I suspect it was the processor used in the regular FTV4K. Very frustrating for sure.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So, it seems, it depends on what channel you are viewing if you see "judder". For example, watch CNN, you can see a slight judder. Watch something like ABC local, or ESPN, no judder at all. I saw a slight improvement by adjusting the Fire Stick to use up to 12 bit. I have HDR. Setting for frames per second is Auto, so is resolution.

ABC local and ESPN are 720p. CNN is 1080i. I have noticed this issue with HBO, TCM, Showtime, EPIX and all of these are 1080i. 720p is fine. Chances are good 1080p is fine too.

See: HD Channels | HD Report.

It may be, with the YTTV app, on an Amazon Fire Stick is is not feeding 1080i resolution properly.

I have a Tablo for OTA, and set to 720p, and it works fine too.

The Philo app handles 1080i channels just fine, even those which are on both YTTV and Philo.

So, it looks like the problem is not with the Fire device, but the YTTV app proper. The YYTV app does not properly feed 1080i resolution. A problem that has existed for a number of months. And, from what I read, YTTV has no interest in fixing their own app.

UPDATE: Setting my Fire Stick to 2160p, 60hz, seemed to help a somewhat with TYTV app interlace issue. There is alight "judder", but not the way it was with allowing the Fire Stick to auto adjust resolution. I have a Samsung 4k (Q6NF) TV. The setting seems to not affect other apps I user. On CNN, the bottom crawl jumps less. Channels like Showtime and TCM seem to be displaying better. The changes are not perfect, but an improvement. YTTV needs to fix their app, which looks like that is not going to happen any time soon.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
So... here's a thing... When I initially signed up for Youtube TV I had my super slow Internet... then when I upgraded to fast Internet (200+ mbps) I was still seeing some performance issues (dropped frames, dropping to a lower resolution, freezing, etc.) and was about to decide that my computer (2009 iMac) just can't handle all the bits for live streaming.

But tonight I was tinkering... and I think it is a combination of my old computer AND Firefox. I had already been turning off my ad blocker and no-script... initially I tried just "whitelisting" the Youtube site... but then the plugin is still running, and I figured that overhead could still be a problem so I disable those plugins entirely... tonight I went further and just disabled all plugins... and for the first time I was able to watch some channels in 1080p60 without it freezing. It still gets sluggish if I'm bringing up the menu and scrolling around or trying to do other things... tomorrow with NFL games will be a good test because those were really choppy last weekend... but fingers crossed, I might have found a config that will let me go to 1080p on those 1080p channels... and definitely 720p on the 720p channels.

This will be nice if it holds up because I don't know when exactly I'll be getting a TV, though I am close... but basically, if anyone else is seeing any issues like I was... definitely try running your browser lean and mean with no plugins and see if that helps. I suppose I should have thought of that earlier, but my initial thought was that plugins that weren't being used by the site wouldn't be engaged and taking CPU cycles... but it might be my computer is so close to the edge of being able to handle it that I need all the cycles I can get.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Firefox uses a lot of resources on the computer, so older ones struggle, what you say makes sense. You might try other browsers as well as tinkering with FF. Sometimes things improve in full screen mode vs watching in a tab.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Firefox uses a lot of resources on the computer, so older ones struggle, what you say makes sense. You might try other browsers as well as tinkering with FF. Sometimes things improve in full screen mode vs watching in a tab.
Yeah... I'm also finding that the OTA channels, especially during sports are a particular challenge... some of the other non-sport programming on non-OTA channels doesn't seem to tax the computer as much. I've even tried running Firefox in "Safe" mode with only marginal improvement.

I'm on a Mac... unless I'm wrong, I think the only browsers supported by Youtube TV are Firefox and Chrome... I might have to try Chrome and see. I thought I read somewhere that Safari isn't supported but I might give it a whirl anyway just to see what happens.

·
Registered
167 Posts
One idea is to replace you disk drive with an Solaid State Drive (SSD). I did that on my 2016 Mac (I just added ite xternally to teh USB 3.0 port), and it sped up teh computer greatly. Apple usually install 5400 RPM SATA drives in iMacs, and they are very slow. Especially if you upgraded your OS over time. Adding an external SSD would Be an easier route, as you make it a boot disk, then copy the contents from the old to new disk. A utility like Carbon Copy would help here.

See: Using an External Drive as Your Startup Drive: Part 1

Yeah... I'm also finding that the OTA channels, especially during sports are a particular challenge... some of the other non-sport programming on non-OTA channels doesn't seem to tax the computer as much. I've even tried running Firefox in "Safe" mode with only marginal improvement.

I'm on a Mac... unless I'm wrong, I think the only browsers supported by Youtube TV are Firefox and Chrome... I might have to try Chrome and see. I thought I read somewhere that Safari isn't supported but I might give it a whirl anyway just to see what happens.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
One idea is to replace you disk drive with an Solaid State Drive (SSD). I did that on my 2016 Mac (I just added ite xternally to teh USB 3.0 port), and it sped up teh computer greatly. Apple usually install 5400 RPM SATA drives in iMacs, and they are very slow. Especially if you upgraded your OS over time. Adding an external SSD would Be an easier route, as you make it a boot disk, then copy the contents from the old to new disk. A utility like Carbon Copy would help here.

See: Using an External Drive as Your Startup Drive: Part 1
Good suggestions... Only thing is... I'm on a 2009 iMac... don't even have USB3... just USB2... I do have a 1TB drive, but its not solid state... I'm not even sure they had the hybrid drives back then... In any event, I'm just trying to make it work until I can get a new TV in hand to do the work for me. Tinkering and tweaking where I can to see if I can improve my computer experience in the meantime.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Anybody else having issues tonight? I was watching some recorded content from earlier in the day and it kept buffering and stuttering. When I would pull up the Nerdstats it would show sometimes 2Mbps or less transfer... then sometimes it would improve up to 10Mbps for a bit... then drop again...

In all this time I tried closing and restarting my browser... also, I checked other sites and had no apparent issues, and my speed test checked 230Mbps or so on a couple of different test sites... so I know tonight the problems are not me or my setup.

I wonder if a lot of people are watching the debates and taxing the system. Curious if anyone else is seeing streaming issues with DVR content or even live TV watching.

·
Registered
18,484 Posts
YouTube

Providing our members with 85+ channels requires
contracts that are periodically renegotiated with content
owners. Earlier this year, we negotiated an extension with
Sinclair to continue carrying FOX Regional Sports
Networks through the regular seasons for baseball,
basketball, and hockey. Unfortunately, now the seasons
are over and that extension is expiring.

Starting Thursday, October 1, 2020, FOX Regional Sports
Networks will no longer be available on YouTube TV, and
you will no longer have access to any previous recordings
from FOX Regional Sports Networks.

This was a difficult decision made after months of
negotiations. We hope that we can bring FOX RSNs back
in the future. Thank you for your membership as we work
to make YouTube TV the best streaming experience.

Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
YouTube

Providing our members with 85+ channels requires
contracts that are periodically renegotiated with content
owners. Earlier this year, we negotiated an extension with
Sinclair to continue carrying FOX Regional Sports
Networks through the regular seasons for baseball,
basketball, and hockey. Unfortunately, now the seasons
are over and that extension is expiring.

Starting Thursday, October 1, 2020, FOX Regional Sports
Networks will no longer be available on YouTube TV, and
you will no longer have access to any previous recordings
from FOX Regional Sports Networks.

This was a difficult decision made after months of
negotiations. We hope that we can bring FOX RSNs back
in the future. Thank you for your membership as we work
to make YouTube TV the best streaming experience.

Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Always disappointing to see channels go, especially because of dispute... but it happens everywhere. Fortunately for me, I'm in ACC country so I don't even know what would be on the Regional Sports networks relative to my area now anyway.

Meanwhile, in response to my earlier inquiry about streaming problems earlier tonight... I think things got better at some point. I bailed on watching TV for a couple of hours, and trying now I get very high bitrates on live and DVR content like I expect... so maybe there was congestion earlier during primetime. I hope that's not going to be a regular thing whenever something popular is on TV on any given night.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I watch only NHL hockey on a Sinclair/FOX RSN channel. However, the 2020-2021 NHL season, which would normally start in mid-October, is on an indefinite COVID hold for the foreseeable future. So, I expect this RSN/YTTV wrestling match will get resolved long before any NHL games begin, and this situation might benefit YTTV's bargaining position. That said, those of you who depend on RSNs for other sports events may see it differently.

2361 - 2380 of 2413 Posts