AVS Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 2413 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I used to watch a fair number of college football and basketball games on Fox RSN, but now those games are largely moved to conference networks associated with ESPN. As a result I think Fox RSN may be headed for a steady decline.

I won't miss much from losing those channels, but now YTTV is spending less and charging me the same.

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
This is bad news for people who watch MLB, NHL and NBA. Many teams are associated with Fox RSN’s. In my area that means no Fox Sports North, which means no Twins, no Wild, etc.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I used my YTTV DVR feature to record Monday Night Football the other day and I have been playing the game. With most of my recorded programs, I can fast forward or rewind and there are still images in the timeline to give me a clue as to where I want to go, but not so with this football game. Is this an anomaly/glitch or is this something specific with this particular sportscast?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Everyone expected Sinclair to pull this stunt, when Disney sold them FOX RSNs. Sinclair is notorious for their greed with over the air local stations, and now they are doing this with FOX RSNs. DISH and DirecTV every year had to drop Sinclair channels because they kept asking for more and more money; the channels eventually returned and fees went up. Let's just say, that do not expect Fox RSNs to return fro a while, if ever, if it requires YTTV to up its rate son everyone, even those who do not have an FOX RSN in their area.

So, this is what is going:

The RSN brands acquired by Sinclair are: Fox Sports Arizona, Fox Sports Detroit, Fox Sports Florida, Fox Sports Sun, Fox Sports North, Fox Sports Wisconsin, Fox Sports Ohio, SportsTime Ohio, Fox Sports South, Fox Sports Carolina, Fox Sports Tennessee, Fox Sports Southeast, Fox Sports Southwest, Fox Sports Oklahoma, Fox Sports New Orleans, Fox Sports Midwest, Fox Sports Kansas City, Fox Sports Indiana, Fox Sports San Diego, Fox Sports West, and Prime Ticket. Also included in the acquisition is Fox College Sports.

The good news her is that Sinclair does not own FS1, FS2, BTN, and Fox Soccer Plus.

Chances are good, by the way, that Sinclair will go after fubi and hulu next. Their greed is unending.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but if you go through Firefox's setup menus, there are a whole bunch of things extra it wants to do, constantly sending feedback back to Mozilla, and others. You could also, if it works, set it up for "Strict" privacy mode, and disable access to all the devices you don't need it to access, and clear out all the data (unless you use Firefox to remember you passwords. Also try blocking popups if you haven't already, and telling it not to allow process to continue after the window (or browser) to close. All these things suck up resources. However, I don't know if any of these things will cause Youtube TV or anything else you use to fail, so keep records of what you change.

I'm afraid I don't use Macs.

But try looking at craigslist and freecycle. You may be able to get a somewhat more powerful used PC (or Mac??) for free or under $100. An i3 CPU or equivalent is said to be fast enough for current video under Windows. I make do with a little less - an old AMD Phenom II X6 1045T. But lots of memory - at least 8 GB; more is better - seems to matter a lot too. Depending on whether your TV/monitor has HDMI or VGA input, make sure whatever you get has the same.

BTW, I notice that in general LUbuntu Linux is many times faster than Windows. So much faster that a virtual VMWARE player machine running LUbuntu under Windows seems to be faster for video than native Windows - though native LUbuntu would be faster still. Macs more or less use a modified Linux - at least the modern ones do - but I don't know how good they are on using resources.

I can't tell you all the reasons why, but WiFi is overwhelmingly less efficient than wired Internet, and consumes less resources. Maybe wireless Internet processing wastes a lot of its time and resources dealing with conflicts. If you are using WiFi, can you switch to wired?

Thereiare another option. If your TV has HDMI input, get a streaming box. Even a relatively low end used Roku box will probably do it. Though only a few of the higher end models had wired Internet. If for any reason, you have an imperfect Internet connection (e.g., WiFi), Roku's user interface is clumsy (a stupid remote instead of a keyboard and mouse, though a smartphone helps a very little), but Roku deals with dropouts and delays much better than Android, LUbuntu, or Windows - not sure about Macs. In particular, AFAICT, I rhink Roku usually requests the packet be resent, waits until the data packet finally arrives, rewinds a fraction of a second, and continues. The others hang forever, or drop a few seconds of audio and video.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is bad news for people who watch MLB, NHL and NBA. Many teams are associated with Fox RSN’s. In my area that means no Fox Sports North, which means no Twins, no Wild, etc.
Even though no one care no Minnesota United soccer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
None of those teams have any games for months, so won't miss anything. I'm hoping this is just negotiating and when seasons start up we can get them back.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,484 Posts
Go Twins!😊

Reactions: wxman

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
None of those teams have any games for months, so won't miss anything. I'm hoping this is just negotiating and when seasons start up we can get them back.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Does that mean we will get a reduced bill next month because Youtube is no longer paying those RSN fees? 🤣 I made a funny.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I used my YTTV DVR feature to record Monday Night Football the other day and I have been playing the game. With most of my recorded programs, I can fast forward or rewind and there are still images in the timeline to give me a clue as to where I want to go, but not so with this football game. Is this an anomaly/glitch or is this something specific with this particular sportscast?
Happens on occasion regardless of content, mostly with recorded sports at 720p - contact YTTV support and let them know about the issue (they'll probably end up giving you some credit).

·
Registered
18,484 Posts
Does that mean we will get a reduced bill next month because Youtube is no longer paying those RSN fees? 🤣 I made a funny.
If anything they'll raise our prices and call it a convenience fee. Lol. That's something DirecTV would do.🤨

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
If you think about it... the RSNs... When FOX sold the farm to Disney, the only thing they kept were their news channels, FS1, FS2, and the OTA broadcast network + local stations they owned. FOX didn't want the RSNs even though they were keeping a sports-production company... that should be telling. Disney would likely have rolled these into ESPN services and rebranded them and perhaps reduced the number of them as well... but part of the government deal that approved the sale required Disney to immediately sell off those RSNs... which is how Sinclair ended up with them. Honestly, I don't know why anyone but Disney would have wanted those RSNs as they seem to be slowly going extinct... I do feel for the people who have sports content on them, but I also don't like the ever-increasing price of things so I'm ok with these going for now.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It would be interesting what percentage of the subscription revenue goes to RSN. It may be well under a buck per subscriber per month, but I have no idea.

·
Registered
167 Posts
An insightful article for earlier this year:

"Let’s look at the YES Network in New York State. The channel carries news, stats, scores, and highlights for the New York Yankees, Brooklyn Nets, New York City FC, and New York Liberty. The number of households in New York State is 7 million. Pay TV penetration nationally is 76%, so 5.3 million New York households have a pay TV service like Charter, DirecTV, or YouTube TV. Assuming YES receives roughly $2 per subscriber per month,[1] YES Network earns $11 million a month, or $130 million a year in license fees in the state."

The bottom line is Sinclair is trying to pad their bottom line.

Has anyone used the newly released Chromecast device w. YTTV?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Is it just me or has YTTV recently (within the last couple of months) started inserting their own commercials into broadcasts? I am noticing that on some of the cable networks like CNN, MSNBC, etc. there will be a bunch of ads that don't appear to be from the network and don't necessarily line up timing wise with the program being broadcast. So there are these pauses where there is just a blank ID screen before programming resumes. And they show the same political ads over and over and over again. Has this already come up?

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
So why exactly would anyone paying for a service like YouTube TV, with an unlimited DVR, be watching commercial breaks, especially one month before a presidential election?

2381 - 2400 of 2413 Posts