AVS Forum banner

2581 - 2600 of 2634 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'm speculating here: Sony's decision to shutdown PlayStation Vue may have been based on their seeing a train wreck coming in which the smaller (but important) content providers, like Sinclair for sports, would break away and start their own streaming services since the necessary infrastructure investment is relatively small. Before long, we may find ourselves subscribing to many different streaming services, including many specialized providers and major networks, each going it alone on the internet versus feeding into a mega-streaming bundler like YTTV. I think the big streamers like YTTV, HULU, Sling, etc., will soon find themselves very busy trying to herd all the hungry and feisty cats.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I obviously have no clue how it all works, but its crazy to me that these channels can be so expensive for them, yet when they take them away and they aren't having to pay that, we don't get a reduction in price of our monthly bill.

Reactions: Sgooter

·
Registered
745 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sinclair may want to sell RSNs as standalone, but are people willing to pay Sinclair's rates, for one, or possibly two channels?

Also, the model of dumping lots of channels model, to paying $7 here, and $7 there to get channels you want to see, will also give you channels you don;t want to see, but pay for anyway. Discovery+ will be the commercial free streaming service that will cost $7. AMC+ charges $6. Disney+Hulu+ESPN $13, A&E+ and Viacom+ are in the works, Peacok $7 (NBC Universal) CBS All Access (which is where Viacom is going to be part of) $6 (for now). HOB Max (most of Turner content, HBO and Warner) $15. You start adding this up, you are long past the $65 for YTTV. I suspect FOX owned Nat Geo, and related channels, are next.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sinclair may want to sell RSNs as standalone, but are people willing to pay Sinclair's rates, for one, or possibly two channels?

Also, the model of dumping lots of channels model, to paying $7 here, and $7 there to get channels you want to see, will also give you channels you don;t want to see, but pay for anyway. Discovery+ will be the commercial free streaming service that will cost $7. AMC+ charges $6. Disney+Hulu+ESPN $13, A&E+ and Viacom+ are in the works, Peacok $7 (NBC Universal) CBS All Access (which is where Viacom is going to be part of) $6 (for now). HOB Max (most of Turner content, HBO and Warner) $15. You start adding this up, you are long past the $65 for YTTV. I suspect FOX owned Nat Geo, and related channels, are next.
Marquee Sports, which is Sinclair's co-owned network with the Chicago Cubs, is a $6.95/month adder to existing cable plans in that region; I think that kind of represents the "wholesale price" for such.

I'd guess a single-team focused RSN to be around $5-10 / month as an add-on to an existing platform and $10-15 / month as a standalone app, with a discount for the full season.

Funny how we always wanted "a la carte" channel selection until it started to become real . . .

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
As I read it, the big glitch currently in Sinclair's single-team RSN app concept is that it will provide only the home games for that team. Sinclair needs to fix this major shortcoming or their venture will fail. Also, let's say Sinclair offers a Baltimore Orioles app: how would Sinclair secure any worthwhile revenue from that app during the off season? And - will a diehard Oriole's fan living in Los Angeles be able to subscribe to the Oriole's app or will they be blocked by MLB's need to preserve territorial rights for their L.A. teams? Every sports team fiercely protects its home market territory. I don't see Sinclair ever being in a strong bargaining position on any of the problems they will encounter when their concept collides with reality.
And now I will mention YouTubeTV...just to keep faith with the title of this thread. ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I suspect, hoe RSNs operated, on cable, and streaming service, they will operate the same way. That is, if you live in LA,. no Cubbies.

As I read it, the big glitch currently in Sinclair's single-team RSN app concept is that it will provide only the home games for that team. Sinclair needs to fix this major shortcoming or their venture will fail. Also, let's say Sinclair offers a Baltimore Orioles app: how would Sinclair secure any worthwhile revenue from that app during the off season? And - will a diehard Oriole's fan living in Los Angeles be able to subscribe to the Oriole's app or will they be blocked by MLB's need to preserve territorial rights for their L.A. teams? Every sports team fiercely protects its home market territory. I don't see Sinclair ever being in a strong bargaining position on any of the problems they will encounter when their concept collides with reality.
And now I will mention YouTubeTV...just to keep faith with the title of this thread. ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
I believe RSNs are typically providing both home and away games (with the local market announcers) - but only in the home market (that's what makes them regional).

You need the "league pass" or equivalent to get out of market games.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I believe RSNs are typically providing both home and away games (with the local market announcers) - but only in the home market (that's what makes them regional).

You need the "league pass" or equivalent to get out of market games.
Yep. That would be a huge change if Sinclair's RSN app didn't include both home and away games for a given market. I'm sure the original contract with each pro team specifies both. Can't change that now. The only time my pro team's games aren't on the RSN, and not even always then, is if they being broadcast nationally on ESPN, Fox, ABC, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
The micro studder on Amazon 4k Fire Stick is finally fixed.
It had gotten better the last month or two but is now completely studder free.
I noticed a new version downloading when I logged in this evening.
Only took a year!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
ALL (I think) YTTV subscribers are being offered a free Chromecast remote casting device. Normally, $49. I've been w. YTTV 3 years - so maybe just for long time users? Offer came via email an hour ago.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
ALL (I think) YTTV subscribers are being offered a free Chromecast remote casting device. Normally, $49. I've been w. YTTV 3 years - so maybe just for long time users? Offer came via email an hour ago.
So how much can you get for them on eBay?...

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Not everyone got the offer. Might not have even gone to every longtime sub. I did get it, but in my FB group a lot of people didn't.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not everyone got the offer. Might not have even gone to every longtime sub. I did get it, but in my FB group a lot of people didn't.
I guess they "know" what current device(s) you run the service on. I wonder if that affects who they are sending the offer to.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I am considering YTTV after comparing pricing with my current Spectrum bill. The image quality issues especially with ESPN are concerning. Are YTTV users able to use their login credentials with the ESPN app? This way if ESPN on YTTV is suffering you could just use the app? Do the login credentials work on Fox Sports as well? I may just wait until after football season to switch but am curious what I might be giving up.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I guess they "know" what current device(s) you run the service on. I wonder if that affects who they are sending the offer to.
I run it on a Roku, FireTV, but now mainly on the Google TV Chromecast I bought on launch day.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
According to the Streamable, the free GTV Chromecasts are for customers who have had YouTube TV continuously since before June 1, 2018.

2581 - 2600 of 2634 Posts