AVS Forum banner

2601 - 2620 of 2634 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'm also contemplating a cord cut to YTTV and the audio and PQ issues reported in this thread are making me hesitate. Used to be in AVSForum that member locations would appear in the member ID field, if selected by the member. Seems that's no longer the case. I would find that helpful for YTTV discussions about the experiences involving suspected CDM issues. Anyone know a source that geographically identifies troublesome CDMs? I'm in the Portland, OR metro area and if there was some way to measure the reliability of YTTV here it would be helpful.
I have a new AndroidTV-equipped Sony with Chromecast and ATV and ROKU so my streaming options ae varied but 4k and 5.1 are requirements I don't think I could do without.

·
Registered
18,966 Posts
Apparently I didn't make the free remote cut. Last email I received from them was cancelling the tennis channel.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just checking back in to say that YTTV picture quality issues have gone away over the last 2 weeks, so yea. Enjoying the bowl games, and hope you all are also!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'm also contemplating a cord cut to YTTV and the audio and PQ issues reported in this thread are making me hesitate. Used to be in AVSForum that member locations would appear in the member ID field, if selected by the member. Seems that's no longer the case. I would find that helpful for YTTV discussions about the experiences involving suspected CDM issues. Anyone know a source that geographically identifies troublesome CDMs? I'm in the Portland, OR metro area and if there was some way to measure the reliability of YTTV here it would be helpful.
I have a new AndroidTV-equipped Sony with Chromecast and ATV and ROKU so my streaming options ae varied but 4k and 5.1 are requirements I don't think I could do without.
You'll need to explore the YTTV details closely, but I understand that 5.1 audio is not yet available.

·
Registered
806 Posts
It almost looks to me like Youtube TV's PQ has increased slightly even in the past couple of days, almost like they increased the bit rate or something. Probably my imagination. :)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
It almost looks to me like Youtube TV's PQ has increased slightly even in the past couple of days, almost like they increased the bit rate or something. Probably my imagination. :)
I agree. I remember saying to myself the other day, the picture looks better.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
4k and 5.1 are requirements I don't think I could do without.
I presume you do without 4k with your current cable provider. Since YTTV is a cable TV replacement, how exactly would they be able to provide 4k from 1080i sources when your cable company couldn't do that? At some point you have to accept the reality of current broadcast TV limitations.

I agree that having no 5.1 sucks, but there is only one OTT streaming provider that has it, and that's AT&T, whose service is abysmal in ever other respect except picture quality, not to mention just as expensive as the cable/satellite you're trying to cut.

Bottom line, given your requirements, you can't cut the cord yet. Your requirements are unrealistic.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
With gigabit internet imminent in my area, I'm now starting to check out streaming services. I hear good things about YTTV but not having DD5.1 is a step backwards to what I have today. Is AT&T that abysmal?

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
With gigabit internet imminent in my area, I'm now starting to check out streaming services. I hear good things about YTTV but not having DD5.1 is a step backwards to what I have today. Is AT&T that abysmal?
AT&T has great picture and sound, terrible cloud DVR and the highest price of all streaming services (equal to cable/sat). So if you're inclined to spend that much, why not stick with the real thing (cable/sat) and at least get a decent DVR experience.

I had AT&T for close to 3 years before I switched to YTTV due to massive price increases ( > 100%). I miss 5.1 for sure, but my AVR's PLII is a decent substitute considering the cost difference and the far better DVR. Unfortunately, everything is a trade-off. No one service does everything well. It just so happens that YTTV does just about everything well EXCEPT the sound.

It just so happens that virtually nothing I watch on cable channels (YTTV) needs surround anyway. All the movies I watch are on other services. Surround is nice on sports, but most of that I can watch via OTA. So it's no big loss for me personally. Others take it far more seriously than I do. I go for the best overall service with the channels I watch for the best price which is still YTTV at the moment. If a new, better service came along tomorrow or AT&T cut their price and fixed their DVR, I'd switch back in a heartbeat. But that doesn't appear to be in the cards.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Why would you think you need gigabit internet for streaming...25 mb service is fine...50 if you need multiple streams...

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
AT&T has great picture and sound, terrible cloud DVR and the highest price of all streaming services (equal to cable/sat). So if you're inclined to spend that much, why not stick with the real thing (cable/sat) and at least get a decent DVR experience.

I had AT&T for close to 3 years before I switched to YTTV due to massive price increases ( > 100%). I miss 5.1 for sure, but my AVR's PLII is a decent substitute considering the cost difference and the far better DVR. Unfortunately, everything is a trade-off. No one service does everything well. It just so happens that YTTV does just about everything well EXCEPT the sound.

It just so happens that virtually nothing I watch on cable channels (YTTV) needs surround anyway. All the movies I watch are on other services. Surround is nice on sports, but most of that I can watch via OTA. So it's no big loss for me personally. Others take it far more seriously than I do. I go for the best overall service with the channels I watch for the best price which is still YTTV at the moment. If a new, better service came along tomorrow or AT&T cut their price and fixed their DVR, I'd switch back in a heartbeat. But that doesn't appear to be in the cards.
“It just so happens that virtually nothing I watch on cable channels (YTTV) needs surround anyway. All the movies I watch are on other services.”...

...exactly!

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
After almost 3 years with YTTV, I was considering going to AT&T Now for my Fox RSNs once baseball season starts. Since I'm paying for HBO anyway, the pricing would be the same, except I'd add AMC+ for $9/mo. A price I'm more than willing to pay for my RSN.

2601 - 2620 of 2634 Posts