AVS Forum banner

2781 - 2800 of 2854 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hey fellas, I'm ditching Directv and plan on moving to either Youtube TV or FuboTV, though I'm leaning more towards YTTV especially after their 4K announcement.

Anyway, I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread, but I have two quick questions:

1. Is everything streamed at 60 fps now, or are some channels still 1080p/30? Sports are my biggest concern.

2. I'll need a cheap streaming device for the bedroom, so which has the better YTTV app, Roku or Firestick?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Hey fellas, I'm ditching Directv and plan on moving to either Youtube TV or FuboTV, though I'm leaning more towards YTTV especially after their 4K announcement.

Anyway, I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread, but I have two quick questions:

1. Is everything streamed at 60 fps now, or are some channels still 1080p/30? Sports are my biggest concern.

2. I'll need a cheap streaming device for the bedroom, so which has the better YTTV app, Roku or Firestick?

Many thanks!
1 - AFAICT yes with a few exceptions that are 720p 60.
2 - I don't do Roku so I would suggest a FireTV Stick 4k (even if you don't have it connected to a 4k TV). They go on sale often on Amazon.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Many thanks!
1) Local stations are whatever they broadcast, frequently 720, have not checked all other channels.
2) FireTV Stick 4K works fine for me and shows up around $40 fairly frequently on Amazon. I like the remote with volume and mute controls that you can link to your TV or receiver. I used to have HDMI handshake issues with a Roku Ultra, but not everyone seems to. If you have an ethernet port nearby, an ethernet adapter than goes over 100M (Not the Amazon one), will give you whatever your ISP supplies for data rate and takes a client off WiFi.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Unfortunately not an app or a TV. I'm watching on a browser on my computer. Every other Web site and even live TV on youtube TV works, but nothing from the DVR plays more than maybe a minute or two tops.
Reboot your computer (fully power off), turn off any VPN or similar service if you have them. There's nothing wrong with YTTV, I watch in the PC browser just fine, its certainly something on your end, either your hardware, settings/setup (firewall, graphics driver, etc), network, or internet connection. Check resolution/quality setting on YTTV, try lower and see if they work.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Reboot your computer (fully power off), turn off any VPN or similar service if you have them. There's nothing wrong with YTTV, I watch in the PC browser just fine, its certainly something on your end, either your hardware, settings/setup (firewall, graphics driver, etc), network, or internet connection. Check resolution/quality setting on YTTV, try lower and see if they work.
@HDMe2 I'd add to this to do a full reboot of your modem and router. And possibly even trying to hardwire directly to the modem if you have a router in-between. I've had some issues with my previous Linksys router where some sites wouldn't load, or would load sporadically and slowly, while others would load fine. I couldn't figure out the issue for months. Then, the router started to really go out and would fail for everything a few times a week. I replaced the router and everything is gravy now. Routers can flake out in really weird ways. Oh, and when I did speed tests on that bad router they would always look great. Even when it was failing. Sometimes I could go on my phone and no websites would load, but then go to my computer and pull a 100mbps test.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Many thanks!
If you get the Nvidia Shield to watch YTTV, get the 'pro' version due to the 60fps AI upscaling from 720 or 1080 to 4k. YTTV is all 60fps.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I will probably need to leave ATT TV for the Football season to get the Red Zone channel. I understand its an additional $11 to the regular YTTV price.
I currently have ATT TV, and have a Surround system. I understand YTTV does not have Dolby Digital. Do they have Dolby matrix surround, or just plain stereo? Do they have the College and Pro games that DIrecTv broadcasts in 4K available in the sports add on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you get the Nvidia Shield to watch YTTV, get the 'pro' version due to the 60fps AI upscaling from 720 or 1080 to 4k. YTTV is all 60fps.
Shield pro or ATV4K. With the newest update on Apple, picture is superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will probably need to leave ATT TV for the Football season to get the Red Zone channel. I understand its an additional $11 to the regular YTTV price.
I currently have ATT TV, and have a Surround system. I understand YTTV does not have Dolby Digital. Do they have Dolby matrix surround, or just plain stereo? Do they have the College and Pro games that DIrecTv broadcasts in 4K available in the sports add on?
Plain stereo on YTTV. However, by the time NFL season resumes YTTV could have Dolby of some kind. Nothing 4K yet on YTTV, though they said it’s coming.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Thanks for the input. What makes it all weird to me is reboot or not (computer or router) I can maybe watch one thing barely and that's it... from the DVR content. But if I go over to regular Youtube (not TV) or Disney+ or other streaming sites I can actually watch 1080p stuff. It just started to get this way the last week or so. I'm going to be out today for other things so I might drop by Best Buy and see what they have in the way of a cheap but functional small screen TV that I can try to rule out some other things just in case it is on my end. My problem at the moment is that I'm living with a friend while working remotely and can't exactly get a big screen TV like I ultimately want in here... but maybe a recent browser update or something is making things flaky on my end with the computer whereas I would expect a Smart TV that says it is compatible to in fact be compatible and if that works then I'll just stop worrying about playback on the computer and move forward.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Already have 2 Shields (one is a 2019 Pro), a Firestick, and one display has built-in Roku. This is just for the non-smart bedroom TV.

Think I'm going with the Firestick since it's remote does IR for power/volume on the TV.

Thanks for all the info, everyone.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Plain stereo on YTTV. However, by the time NFL season resumes YTTV could have Dolby of some kind. Nothing 4K yet on YTTV, though they said it’s coming.
"Plain stereo" conveys matrix surround, when so encoded. Most network shows and sports do seem to have some surround content. Even unmatrixed stereo will give L, C, R via a Dolby decoder.

Yes, any surround thus obtained is mono and frequency-limited, and creating 1990s-level Dolby surround out of a 5.1 source is kind of absurd, but honestly for what YTTV is used for here -- 80% sports and news, with a few low-stakes TV shows -- it is close enough.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
So... without being able to explain why... I went out yesterday and bought a decent cheap TV. I'm not in a place to buy my real desired TV yet, so I just got an Insignia 43" FireTV 4K from Best Buy. The picture is still way better than my old computer and it is bigger than my 27" computer monitor and has at least rudimentary 4K capabilities. Long story short, the new TV hasn't choked on anything from my DVR. It's just insanely weird that I could watch TV live but not DVR and could watch Disney+ and some other services without issues... but problem essentially solved in that I have a way to watch tv reliably again.

I'm wondering, though, if something in a recent Firefox update might have broken something. I may never know. But at least I got a decent interim TV for about $240 and its easy to move around so whenever I get in a more permanent living situation I can make that one a bonus TV and get a proper large screen for my main room.

Thank you to everyone who replied and provided some insights on how to solve and also confirming that you weren't seeing the same problems that I was.

·
Registered
780 Posts
So... without being able to explain why... I went out yesterday and bought a decent cheap TV. I'm not in a place to buy my real desired TV yet, so I just got an Insignia 43" FireTV 4K from Best Buy. The picture is still way better than my old computer and it is bigger than my 27" computer monitor and has at least rudimentary 4K capabilities. Long story short, the new TV hasn't choked on anything from my DVR. It's just insanely weird that I could watch TV live but not DVR and could watch Disney+ and some other services without issues... but problem essentially solved in that I have a way to watch tv reliably again.

I'm wondering, though, if something in a recent Firefox update might have broken something. I may never know. But at least I got a decent interim TV for about $240 and its easy to move around so whenever I get in a more permanent living situation I can make that one a bonus TV and get a proper large screen for my main room.

Thank you to everyone who replied and provided some insights on how to solve and also confirming that you weren't seeing the same problems that I was.
Glad you got a solution that works. It also sounds like you made lemonade out of lemons and have a better setup for binge-watching 😉

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Signed up for YTTV last night, and it works great so far.

Since my Vizio now supports the FoxNow app, I don't need the Firestick that was connected to it for 4k HDR sporting events, so I moved it to the bedroom TV.

Everything is working fine, now let's bring on those 4K options they talked about last month. And Dolby 5.1 would be nice as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Since my Vizio now supports the FoxNow app, I don't need the Firestick that was connected to it for 4k HDR sporting events, so I moved it to the bedroom TV.

Everything is working fine, now let's bring on those 4K options they talked about last month. And Dolby 5.1 would be nice as well.
5.1 would make the service damn near perfect.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Same... now that I have a reliable setup and 4K to boot, I'm anxious to see more 4K content. Some of my past iTunes purchases are converted to 4K now, and Disney+ has some. HBOMax has a little as well. I'm hoping at least if the Olympic happen this year that YoutubeTV will carry a 4K channel for that.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts

Be warned that the fire stick is much much better at upscaling 720p and 1080p to 4k than the vizio apps. You will notice the vizio app makes 720p or 1080p look ever so slightly cloudy compared to the fire stick.

The native vizio apps are great with 4k content though.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Be warned that the fire stick is much much better at upscaling 720p and 1080p to 4k than the vizio apps. You will notice the vizio app makes 720p or 1080p look ever so slightly cloudy compared to the fire stick.

The native vizio apps are great with 4k content though.
Yeah, I only use the Vizio FoxNOW app for 4K events on FS1.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Yeah, I only use the Vizio FoxNOW app for 4K events on FS1.
What do you use for YTTV if you don't use the vizio app nor the fire stick?

2781 - 2800 of 2854 Posts