AVS Forum banner

2801 - 2820 of 2854 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
@taz291819 Congrats on making the jump of DTV. You should notice improved PQ as well. I was very surprised how compressed DTV was when I jumped a few years ago.

@maverick1096 Where did you see anything about DD on YTTV? They announced 4k coming but they seemed to be holding firm on Stereo

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
What do you use for YTTV if you don't use the vizio app nor the fire stick?
Shield 2019 Pro.

I only had the Firestick connected to the Vizio because the FoxNOW app on the Shield didn't stream 4K HDR events. But now that the Vizio has the app, I moved the Firestick to the bedroom display.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
@taz291819 Congrats on making the jump of DTV. You should notice improved PQ as well. I was very surprised how compressed DTV was when I jumped a few years ago.

@maverick1096 Where did you see anything about DD on YTTV? They announced 4k coming but they seemed to be holding firm on Stereo
I already noticed my locals look better, especially those that have multiple subchannels. I'm wondering if YTTV is getting the signal before it goes to the local's encoder/statmuxer, that would make sense if so.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Same... now that I have a reliable setup and 4K to boot, I'm anxious to see more 4K content. Some of my past iTunes purchases are converted to 4K now, and Disney+ has some.
Almost all Disney+ recent content (the last 5 years or so) is 4K. I susbscribe to Netflix, Disney+, Paramount+, HBO MAX, Amazon Prime, and Disney+ has more of their content at 4K than any of them. If you're a Star Wars fan, all the Star Wars content, even the earliest, has been remastered to 4K. For high end 4K/DV/ATMOS content, they excel.

HBOMax has a little as well.
They seem to be able to handle a maximum of two titles in 4K, everything else is 1080.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I currently have ATT TV because I like the number keypad, Guide and LIST (DVR) buttons on the remote. They are still going to sell the $50 Tvision dongle with all those buttons. If the modify the app for that device to allow using those buttons on YTTV, that would be great.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Looks like T-Mobile is giving up on their TV service and partnering with YTTV. T-Mobile subscribers will be able to save $10 a month on YTTV service T-Mobile is already shutting down its live TV service, partners with YouTube TV and Philo
Will that $10 discount a month on YTTV apply for prepaid T-Mobile users as well?
How about if you already have a YTTV subscription, how do you get the discounted price exactly - do you have to sign up for YTTV differently than the regular way thru google?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If you are currently subscribed to YouTube Premium you will need to cancel and reactivate your subscription to take advantage of this offer. Offer must be redeemed by November 01, 2021 at 11:59pm PST.At the end of the trial period, you will be automatically charged the individual subscription price, currently $11.99/monthly on a monthly recurring basis. Full terms: https://www.youtube.com/premium/restrictions  

very end of this: YouTube TV - FAQs

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Will that $10 discount a month on YTTV apply for prepaid T-Mobile users as well?
How about if you already have a YTTV subscription, how do you get the discounted price exactly - do you have to sign up for YTTV differently than the regular way thru google?
From the FAQ mentioned above

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm just hoping the former Layer3 (pre Tvision) subscribers are treated fairly.
They weren't. I live in Longmont, Colorado one of the Layer3 Cities. People were told that they had to subscribe to TMobile Smartphone Service, if they wanted the new TVision. The old Layer 3 ended in mid-December, 2020. This is why I am a YTTV subscriber. I dropped Layer3 TV after TMobile took it over.

TMobile took a great service and wrecked it. Now, they will do the same to YTTV and Philo.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
From the FAQ mentioned above

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
It is unclear from the first sentence if the promotion applies only to new mobile subscribers who sign up with T-Mobile from 4/6/21 to 6/30/21, or to existing T-Mobile users with an active account during that period.

I'm an existing T-Mobile wireless customer and am vaguely tempted to try it at the discounted price for a year if I can actually get it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
It is unclear from the first sentence if the promotion applies only to new mobile subscribers who sign up with T-Mobile from 4/6/21 to 6/30/21, or to existing T-Mobile users with an active account during that period.

I'm an existing T-Mobile wireless customer and am vaguely tempted to try it at the discounted price for a year if I can actually get it.
It's for all T-Mobile/Sprint customers.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Most TM special offers (like the free Netflix) are limited to regular customers-- aka "postpaid".

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
YouTube TV offer is available to current T-Mobile Wireless and Home Internet service customers. Redeem by 7/31/2021. If you're currently subscribed to YouTube TV and wish to take advantage of this offer, you'll need to cancel and reactivate your subscription via the unique SMS you'll receive from T-Mobile.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
They weren't. I live in Longmont, Colorado one of the Layer3 Cities. People were told that they had to subscribe to TMobile Smartphone Service, if they wanted the new TVision. The old Layer 3 ended in mid-December, 2020. This is why I am a YTTV subscriber. I dropped Layer3 TV after TMobile took it over.

TMobile took a great service and wrecked it. Now, they will do the same to YTTV and Philo.
Only Google can ruin YTTV.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Thinking of using the Tmobile Tuesday promo next week to sign up for YTTV to replace ATT TV. I have heard good and bad things about YTTV DVR, so, with that in mind a couple questions.
1: If I want to record Nascar races (all of them) is there a way to do that without recording every program all week with NASCAR in them?
2: If I record a daily news show, will the current days episode show up on top or do I have to hunt to find the new ones because:
3: I have been told you cannot delete shows already watched. Is that true?
4: Can you record a single show, without it recording every episode of that show forever? (like to pad live sports by recording the following show ONCE).

I will try the trial when it starts next Tuesday, but just curious as I am used to cable and satellite DVRs that have wishlists, extending live sports, etc.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
1. and 2. Don't know about NASCAR for sure. You CAN automatically record every edition of various news shows (and other shows as well) and normally will show up in some sort of time order. I can record every game Okld A's is on one of YTTV's channels automatically.
3. I do not think you can delete any recording. It will disappear, after nine months.
4. You have a choice, when you pick a program to record, whether just to record the next episode, or record all new episodes as they appear. That isn't always on hundred percent accurate. For instance, I have discovered it is recording all this week's episodes of The Late Show even though they are month-old repeats.
They do seem to automatically extend the recording length of sports events so you are not cut off from extra long games. Used to be with cable I would simply add an hour every recording length.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I have discovered it is recording all this week's episodes of The Late Show even though they are month-old repeats.
This is not unique to YTTV, and may not even be their fault, as every TiVo owner can tell you. They are all at the mercy of the place where they get their guide data that tells them whether a show is new or a repeat. There are AFAIK two guide aggregators used by most services, and neither one is especially accurate when it comes to the 'new or rerun?' flag being set properly.

·
Registered
494 Posts
1. and 2. Don't know about NASCAR for sure. You CAN automatically record every edition of various news shows (and other shows as well) and normally will show up in some sort of time order. I can record every game Okld A's is on one of YTTV's channels automatically.
3. I do not think you can delete any recording. It will disappear, after nine months.
4. You have a choice, when you pick a program to record, whether just to record the next episode, or record all new episodes as they appear. That isn't always on hundred percent accurate. For instance, I have discovered it is recording all this week's episodes of The Late Show even though they are month-old repeats.
They do seem to automatically extend the recording length of sports events so you are not cut off from extra long games. Used to be with cable I would simply add an hour every recording length.
I've never missed the end of a sports broadcast, even when majorly delayed or rescheduled altogether. The paradigm is around shows, not time slots.

You can mark shows as watched (which sends them to the bottom of your queue) but only from the web and mobile apps. It's kind of a pain and not really worth the effort.

But in general the YTTV DVR function is miles better than AT; given the unlimited aspect, no delete is basically another way of saying that you don't have to manage the DVR resources. it does a good job of queueing up what you are likely to want to watch (via Google magic).

Also note that you get up to six profiles that are easy to switch between so if you want to keep certain stuff out of the family queue it's possible to some extent.

2801 - 2820 of 2854 Posts