AVS Forum banner

2821 - 2840 of 2854 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I've never missed the end of a sports broadcast, even when majorly delayed or rescheduled altogether. The paradigm is around shows, not time slots.

You can mark shows as watched (which sends them to the bottom of your queue) but only from the web and mobile apps. It's kind of a pain and not really worth the effort.

But in general the YTTV DVR function is miles better than AT; given the unlimited aspect, no delete is basically another way of saying that you don't have to manage the DVR resources. it does a good job of queueing up what you are likely to want to watch (via Google magic).

Also note that you get up to six profiles that are easy to switch between so if you want to keep certain stuff out of the family queue it's possible to some extent.
^^^this - YTTV has the best DVR service of the streaming services I've used over the years (PS Vue, DirecTV/AT&T, Hulu) and it's particularly good at making sure you don't miss the end of a sports broadcast. I'd say that along with the excellent picture quality and station lineup, the DVR service is what keeps me subscribing.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I've noticed over the past few days that a recording shows up as watched, even though I nor anyone else, have watched it. Even a show that just got done airing 15 minutes prior.

Not a big deal, as I now know to look for it specifically. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I've noticed over the past few days that a recording shows up as watched, even though I nor anyone else, have watched it. Even a show that just got done airing 15 minutes prior.

Not a big deal, as I now know to look for it specifically. Has this happened to anyone else?
Yep.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Thinking of using the Tmobile Tuesday promo next week to sign up for YTTV to replace ATT TV. I have heard good and bad things about YTTV DVR, so, with that in mind a couple questions.
1: If I want to record Nascar races (all of them) is there a way to do that without recording every program all week with NASCAR in them?
2: If I record a daily news show, will the current days episode show up on top or do I have to hunt to find the new ones because:
3: I have been told you cannot delete shows already watched. Is that true?
4: Can you record a single show, without it recording every episode of that show forever? (like to pad live sports by recording the following show ONCE).

I will try the trial when it starts next Tuesday, but just curious as I am used to cable and satellite DVRs that have wishlists, extending live sports, etc.
1. I don't watch NASCAR, but I record other sports. You are usually given options when you set the recording, but in my experience I've never gotten sports highlight shows recorded as part of recording everything, just actual sporting events.
2. Yes. You scroll recordings from left to right with the newest recording always appearing on the far left as the first item. This actually is an issue when watching a drama series because you have to scroll all the way to the far end to get to the first episode of a particular season. And what's worst, sometimes the thumbnail image for an episode can be spoilery if it's a show with twists and major character deaths. Of course this isn't an issue if you're watching week to week.
3 and 4. It works like Hulu or Netflix where you get all the episodes for a show, once recorded, and you can't cherry pick which ones you don't want to have in your list when you select that show.

And as stated above, you never have to worry about sports events running long. It always records everything every time. I've never seen it not happen. Ever. In three years. Even a college football game with a 90-min lightning delay. Which is why I'm having some serious issues now that I'm switching to AT&T TV for baseball season. :(

·
Registered
494 Posts
You scroll recordings from left to right with the newest recording always appearing on the far left as the first item. This actually is an issue when watching a drama series because you have to scroll all the way to the far end to get to the first episode of a particular season. And what's worst, sometimes the thumbnail image for an episode can be spoilery if it's a show with twists and major character deaths.
That's interesting. I'm not watching enough network dramas to have run into this, but it makes me wonder how the thumbnails are chosen. I can't imagine it's someone's job to pick out a frame for every show that airs, so I suspect it's an AI-driven thing (as, I believe, is the preview segment that shows up for YouTube videos in many contexts). I guess the same training that helps an AI recognize "key" frames might tend towards spoilers too . . .

Of course, program guides in various forms have done this sort of spoiling long before there was streaming.

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
Hoping YTTV inaugurates their 4K HDR service with The Masters coming up next week.🤞 Although in my heart I know they won’t. I’d settle for 5.1 instead.😉

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
That's interesting. I'm not watching enough network dramas to have run into this, but it makes me wonder how the thumbnails are chosen. I can't imagine it's someone's job to pick out a frame for every show that airs, so I suspect it's an AI-driven thing (as, I believe, is the preview segment that shows up for YouTube videos in many contexts). I guess the same training that helps an AI recognize "key" frames might tend towards spoilers too . . .

Of course, program guides in various forms have done this sort of spoiling long before there was streaming.
The thumbnail seems to key in on a character whose story is at the center of that episode, so I wouldn't be surprised if the selection (if done by AI) keyed off of the episode description. Unfortunately, it only takes a split second glimpse of a face to know that, for example, Character X survived being gunned down three episodes ago, though in the episode I'm currently watching, he's on life support and doctor's are doubtful about the prognosis.

Obviously, for network shows where all regular/recurring characters have max plot armor, it's not an issue. But I often watch dramas or limited series on the FX and AMC family of networks where there are no guarantees.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Obviously, for network shows where all regular/recurring characters have max plot armor, it's not an issue.
An lot of core and peripheral ongoing characters have taken the big dirt nap on NCIS over the last 17 years or so. I often wonder whether they've annoyed Mark Harmon somehow and he has the writers kill them off. :oops: ;)

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've had YTTV for a couple of months now. Very happy overall, I mostly watch on ATV4K connected to AVR --> LG OLED TV .
I do have an issue with recordings: video quality seems to be much worse than live content. I end up using the DVR as a reminder and using the individual apps (NBC, FOX...) to watch the shows.
Also, the native YTTV LG app (my family uses that for practical reasons) has the same poor video quality across the board, including the live content.
My AppleTV video settings is on 4K SDR, with matching frame rate enabled. I don't see any video setting for the native LG app.
I tried rebooting on all devices, reinstalling the apps, nothing really changed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've had YTTV for a couple of months now. Very happy overall, I mostly watch on ATV4K connected to AVR --> LG OLED TV .
I do have an issue with recordings: video quality seems to be much worse than live content. I end up using the DVR as a reminder and using the individual apps (NBC, FOX...) to watch the shows.
Also, the native YTTV LG app (my family uses that for practical reasons) has the same poor video quality across the board, including the live content.
My AppleTV video settings is on 4K SDR, with matching frame rate enabled. I don't see any video setting for the native LG app.
I tried rebooting on all devices, reinstalling the apps, nothing really changed. Any ideas?
I use a FireTV Stick 4K feeding into a Yamaha 3060 AVR then to an LG C6 Oled. It has a wired ethernet connection, about 250 Mb/s. YTTV video quality seems to be the same whether live or DVR, better than what I had with a cable TIVO setup. A second FireTV Stick 4K feeds an HD TV directly, looks the same on HD material. The second one uses a WiFi connection, about 200 Mb/s. I do not know anything about ATV4K settings or if the YTTV settings are different on the ATV4K app, might be worth checking out at an ATV4K forum.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't see any difference between recorded or live YTTV on my end using Roku or Amazon devices on various displays. The signal is compressed so it not a great signal to begin with. DId you try switching from the recorded version to On Demand on YYTTV to see if the picture quality is any better.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Try connecting the ATV4K directly to your LG to see if there’s any difference so you can narrow down the problem. The picture quality should be the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm still contemplating a switch from my grandfathered AT&T TV Go Big to YTTV (with the Tmobile discount.)

I really like YTTV and don't really miss the channels I'd lose, but the DVR video quality on stuff does kind of suck compared to ATT TV. But I only have 20hrs with ATT TV and one of the most annoying things is the delay is like a minute or more behind YTTV for live content. Whenever I'd watch sports I'd get notifations on my phone of a scoring play before it happened on ATT TV.

It's only like a $17 a month savings if I switch, but I didn't want to miss out on the Tmobile discount because I feel like ATT TV is going to be a dead service sooner or later, or they'll just keep raising the price on the grandfathered accounts more and more until everyone gets off of them.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
It's only like a $17 a month savings if I switch, but I didn't want to miss out on the Tmobile discount because I feel like ATT TV is going to be a dead service sooner or later, or they'll just keep raising the price on the grandfathered accounts more and more until everyone gets off of them.
ATT TV is definitely not going away or dying. ATT gave an outside investor full control of ATT TV somewhat recently. You can bet there will be some changes coming to make it more competitive and probably more profitable.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I'm still contemplating a switch from my grandfathered AT&T TV Go Big to YTTV (with the Tmobile discount.)

I really like YTTV and don't really miss the channels I'd lose, but the DVR video quality on stuff does kind of suck compared to ATT TV.
I dont understand this, unless there is a bad server some folks are using. My PQ is exactly the same live or DVR.
On the other hand, ATT TV DVR would lock up and tell me to "watch something else" at least 4 nights out of the week while live TV worked fine. I couldnt dump them fast enough, and the T-mobile discount for YTTV was the frosting on the cake.

Reactions: mdavej

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I dont understand this, unless there is a bad server some folks are using. My PQ is exactly the same live or DVR.
On the other hand, ATT TV DVR would lock up and tell me to "watch something else" at least 4 nights out of the week while live TV worked fine. I couldnt dump them fast enough, and the T-mobile discount for YTTV was the frosting on the cake.
Yeah, couldn’t agree more. I was with ATT for 2 years and while the live TV was very good when it worked the DVR was just terrible both in quality and quantity.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts

I really like YTTV and don't really miss the channels I'd lose, but the DVR video quality on stuff does kind of suck compared to ATT TV. But I only have 20hrs with ATT TV and one of the most annoying things is the delay is like a minute or more behind YTTV for live content. Whenever I'd watch sports I'd get notifations on my phone of a scoring play before it happened on ATT TV.

Strange, I can’t say that I have ever seen YTTV DVR PQ that was any different than live. Perhaps it’s channel dependent...🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Strange, I can’t say that I have ever seen YTTV DVR PQ that was any different than live. Perhaps it’s channel dependent...🤷🏻‍♂️
I know on a lot of my shows, there are two options, DVR and Storage or something to that effect. I always select the DVR one. Maybe the other option is compressed more for storage on their servers?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know on a lot of my shows, there are two options, DVR and Storage or something to that effect. I always select the DVR one. Maybe the other option is compressed more for storage on their servers?
The options are normally DVR or VOD (if one exists).

I’ve noticed recently that the quality of the Live/DVR stream for the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) has gotten worse lately. However, the VOD version of the same content still looks very good.

2821 - 2840 of 2854 Posts