AVS Forum banner

2981 - 3000 of 3054 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Can anyone on here right now check MSNBC on YouTubeTV , the NBC app, or your computer and see if you are getting good audio with video freezes and stuttering and still frames?
Disregard, they finally fixed it.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Watching news channels, the scroll on the bottom will be very smooth, then for a few seconds it will stutter. Dont think its a setting on my TV. Internet is 900/900. Using a shield. Stats for nerds show no dropped frames. Is this just their encoding?
It is likely your motion and/or film settings on the TV. Turn all those off and see if it goes away. On Sony, Cinemotion is the culprit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Forgive me if this was already answered but I don't have a couple days to read through 150 messages...

On the channel guide of my previous live TV streaming service, you could view more detailed information about a program than just the title, this includes a summary description, the video resolution of the program (HD 1080 or UHD 4K) and the audio format of the program (5.1 surround, Dolby Atmos) I cannot find a way to view this type of information for a given program on YouTube TV. Is there a way to view it? I've turned the "Nerd" info on where I can see detailed streaming statistics but no summary description of the program. In addition the streaming info shows every single channel, when in Auto mode, is streaming at 1280 x 720 (720P) resolution, not 1080. Do any of the live channels have content that is in 1920 x 1080 (1080p) resolution?

I assume the "Auto" setting for the resolution uses the native resolution of the source content. I know some channels like CBS stream in 720P so they can support higher frame rates for smoother sports action movement. But there must be SOME channels that are in 1080P?

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
CBS and NBC channels are 1080p, Fox and ABC channels are 720p
For show info, start the show from the guide, the hit direction down, and direction left to the + and More info

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
FS1 is 720p for me right now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have seen YTTV fluctuate, while watching a sport event or movie, going from crystal clear to very low resolution and back again. This happens randomly on many channels.

My Amazon fire 4k stick is set to 4k and up convert to 4k. When they modified the app, a few weeks ago, to enforce on's location, something they did made the problem much worse. restarting the app, reboot the network, rebooting the Fire Stick has no affect. Sometimes is looks worse than those fly by night IPTV providers which claim to give you thousand of channels.

As the price has gone up, teh quality has gone down.

Last night i watched a couple movies on Philo; they did not have this issue. neither does Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, Paramount+ or HBO Max. Proving it is not my network or setup.

Is anyone else having YTTV default to 144p?

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Fire stick here wont even do 4K. Sound plays, picture shows a freeze frame with a new one every couple seconds. Threw the piece of crap in the trash where it belongs. Get a Roku ultra 4800 or a Nvidia shield or even a google TV dongle.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I remember getting picture stuttering watching football games, I switched to Sling in January and have been pretty happy with it especiall since its been $15 less.

I was thinking about getting YTTV again and getting the T-Mobile $10 discount. Sling is going up $5 in July. But I may stick with Sling and save $5.

I got the TV Anywhere OTA DVR device when I signed up and it works good for me.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Fire stick here wont even do 4K. Sound plays, picture shows a freeze frame with a new one every couple seconds. Threw the piece of crap in the trash where it belongs. Get a Roku ultra 4800 or a Nvidia shield or even a google TV dongle.
I had that same problem with the Firestick4k and TNF and SB, using the FoxSports app back in 2019. Tried the FoxGo app, and it worked fine.

In 2020, I tried the FoxSports app again, and it worked perfectly.

Fingers crossed Youtube TV gets it right when 4k is finally implemented. And please give us FoxSports events in 4k HDR, especially for DVR'ing. The Olympics would be cool as well, not sure how tight of a grip NBC has on the streaming rights.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a Chromecast with Google TV, and two Android TV devices (Tivo Stream 4K and Nvidia Shield). I just signed up for YouTube TV a day ago and I am just starting to try the DVR (aka Library) functions. I am shocked that when playing back a recorded program from my Library I cannot Fast Forward or Rewind. When I press the forward or rewind button (the left and right side of the round button on the white Chromecast with Google TV Remote) it brings up a grey bar indicating the total length of the program and the message in the lower right "no views" I can only restart the program and cannot fast forward or rewind using the remote on any of these devices.

I can speak "Fast Forward Two Minutes" into the remote and that works and I can fast forward and rewind from the mobile app. However this is not a good solution being that my most frequent use of a DVR function is to record sporting events and then watch them later and fast forward through the commercials where you can see thumbnail images of the scenes so you know when to stop fast forwarding.

I did some research and apparently the issue is the DVR recording requires some processing to allow for fast forwarding or "scrubbing" through the video and this can be delayed for several hours. This is an extremely frustrating problem because 75% of the time the way I use a DVR is to record a program in progress and come back and start watching the recording maybe 30 minutes or an hour later while the live program is still on and then I catch up at the end by the time I fast forward through the customers.

Given Google's immense resources and the huge YouTube brand name and considering Google has competition from Hulu Live TV, AT&T Now, Comcast/Xfinity, Spectrum and the like, I am completely SHOCKED such a basic feature could be completely broken currently.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Rewind and FF with the direction pad and hit OK/Select to play. The longer you hold it, the faster it goes. Tap once for 15 seconds.
Mine works even if the program is still recording. I am not familiar with the Chromecast for Google TV device, but the direction pad with the OK button in the middle is what works on every other app I have. And down selects a menu with additional options.

Also if there are two options listed, choose the one that says DVR. Sometimes YTTV has a version stored separate from your DVR version, and Im not sure FF and REW work on that one.
If you highlight a show, and there is a box below it that says "Choose a Version", highlight that box and select DVR

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
No issues FF/RW here either... works the same on YTTV for me across all AndroidTV / Google TV devices including CCGTV, Shield TV '19, Mi Box 4S, eMatic Jetstream, all the way back to the Nexus Player still kicking out in my garage.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not sure everyone else is using the same test case scenario as me. I've done more testing so here are the results and how to reproduce it. Let me know if this does/doesn't happen to you. Here's the video showing the issue if you want to watch it before reading my long post:
Happens on all 3 of my different Android TV/Google TV Devices so it's not the device.

There are threads around about scrubbing not working on YouTube TV and I confused that problem with the problem I am seeing as a new YouTube TV User. Most user's like me use the recording (aka Library) feature to be able to watch programs later and FF through the commercials. In many cases I will start the playback of the recording when it hasn't finished, sometimes right after it's finished and sometimes hours or days later. The latter isn't very common though for sports which is my most common recording usage and I like to catch up to watch the end of the game live.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design based on a contractual agreement with the networks. I'm guessing it's a bug and here's how to reproduce the problem. Simply add a live tv program to your library to record either after it's already started or before it's started. If you try to playback the recording before the program is finished you can FF/REW and scrub through and over the commercials. The red bar shows where the live program ends and of course grows as the program continues and is recorded. HOWEVER, if you try to play the recording even 30 seconds after the program has finished, you can't FF/REW AT ALL. If you press the down or left and right to bring up the progress bar, it's no longer red showing you the length of the recorded content, it's gray and it always shows the total length of the program as 2 hours 2:00:00 no matter how long the program is.

This happens on all channels, all program lengths, sports or no sports. Now I haven't had enough time to do enough testing to see how long it takes before you can watch the recording and have FF/REW capability but so far it appears to be somewhere in the 2-6 hour range. I brought this up with YoutTube TV Support and used a long sporting event as my example and their response was that it can take up to 24 hours to "process" sporting event recordings longer than 2 hours recording to allow you to FF/REW/SCRUB through the recording. But my tests have shown it the program type and length don't matter. I have also tested this on a Chromecast with Google TV, a Tivo Stream 4K, and an Nvidia Shield. They all do the same thing so it is an issue with the YouTube TV Service, NOT the device. You can see a short (unprofessional) recording of it happening where I recorded Jeopardy (half hour program) and starting watching the recording 4 minutes before the show was over and as soon as it was over I lost FF/REW capability.

So if you record a 1-hour sporting event and you try to watch it right after it's over OR you watch it while it's still live and you don't get to the end before the live program is over, as soon as the program ends you lose FF/REW capability until several hours after the program is over. See for yourself:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'm not sure everyone else is using the same test case scenario as me. I've done more testing so here are the results and how to reproduce it. Let me know if this does/doesn't happen to you. Here's the video showing the issue if you want to watch it before reading my long post:
Happens on all 3 of my different Android TV/Google TV Devices so it's not the device.

There are threads around about scrubbing not working on YouTube TV and I confused that problem with the problem I am seeing as a new YouTube TV User. Most user's like me use the recording (aka Library) feature to be able to watch programs later and FF through the commercials. In many cases I will start the playback of the recording when it hasn't finished, sometimes right after it's finished and sometimes hours or days later. The latter isn't very common though for sports which is my most common recording usage and I like to catch up to watch the end of the game live.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design based on a contractual agreement with the networks. I'm guessing it's a bug and here's how to reproduce the problem. Simply add a live tv program to your library to record either after it's already started or before it's started. If you try to playback the recording before the program is finished you can FF/REW and scrub through and over the commercials. The red bar shows where the live program ends and of course grows as the program continues and is recorded. HOWEVER, if you try to play the recording even 30 seconds after the program has finished, you can't FF/REW AT ALL. If you press the down or left and right to bring up the progress bar, it's no longer red showing you the length of the recorded content, it's gray and it always shows the total length of the program as 2 hours 2:00:00 no matter how long the program is.

This happens on all channels, all program lengths, sports or no sports. Now I haven't had enough time to do enough testing to see how long it takes before you can watch the recording and have FF/REW capability but so far it appears to be somewhere in the 2-6 hour range. I brought this up with YoutTube TV Support and used a long sporting event as my example and their response was that it can take up to 24 hours to "process" sporting event recordings longer than 2 hours recording to allow you to FF/REW/SCRUB through the recording. But my tests have shown it the program type and length don't matter. I have also tested this on a Chromecast with Google TV, a Tivo Stream 4K, and an Nvidia Shield. They all do the same thing so it is an issue with the YouTube TV Service, NOT the device. You can see a short (unprofessional) recording of it happening where I recorded Jeopardy (half hour program) and starting watching the recording 4 minutes before the show was over and as soon as it was over I lost FF/REW capability.

So if you record a 1-hour sporting event and you try to watch it right after it's over OR you watch it while it's still live and you don't get to the end before the live program is over, as soon as the program ends you lose FF/REW capability until several hours after the program is over. See for yourself:

I primarily watch with Apple TV 4K. I don't experience this. I do watch long racing events and usually come in delayed and watch until end or I catch up to live. I'm even guilty of long pausing and walking away. I had some early issues where I had to drop down to events to view a race in progress correctly; else the bar would be mostly gray or would change from red to gray as if I was losing buffer as I watched and it wasn't an actual recording. I reported that for a few weeks and it seems to have disappeared.

For the long pause issue while event is still progress or ending while paused, I've seen two scenarios happen. What appears to be an issue with buffer ending before race concludes, either automatically adds buffer in red as I'm advancing, or, I have to go back and rejoin the recording. I've not reported this but it also seems to have improved and just automatically update the buffered content in red and I can finish without manually backing out and back in again.

What's really odd about your report is that fubo TV was doing much the same with me when I subscribed to them. I sent fubo support recordings from multiple platforms before they escalated my complaints to engineering. For weeks I was frustrated with this while fubo support was telling me they identified the issue as "an overflow in the instant DVR". Come back hours later and the recording would play normal as you'd expect it to. I got tired of seeing updates without a fix for this so I subscribed to YTTV. It's mostly been better with a few bumps that got smoothed out.

Quick question, are you using a third party DNS in your router settings? One I was using started throttling YouTube and YouTube TV; also slow loading and missing icons on the screen. My speed tests were normal and all other apps were fine; just issues with YouTube.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I have issues trying to use FF and REW in the last 3 minutes of a show. It always starts playing again though. Ive never tried to use trick play on a show I started recording while it was already playing, as I never do that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I understand why other people are reporting they don't have the issue may be because they aren't testing the same specific scenario I'm describing. Playback on any library recordings that were schedule BEFORE the program starts have no issue. And I think that's most of the scenarios people are using. Try starting the recording of a program that is not in your library WHILE THE PROGRAM HAS ALREADY STARTED. Then when the program has finished (NOT while the program is still live) go into your library and attempt to play the recording. All three different devices I have, the REW/FF is not available until roughly about 5-6 hours after the program has finished. If I add the program to the library BEFORE it starts, no issues.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
So you are seeing something you want to watch later, but its already playing, you add it to your library, start watching it after it ends but before 5 hours has passed, and trick play doesnt work. That is odd, and probably a bug. How about going to the live show, hitting pause, and then restarting it after the show ends? Or are you watching something else in the interim? There are lots of strange behavior in YTTVs DVR to be sure, if you grew up with a real hard drive DVR. It took me a long time to figure out how to program my remote so the DVR and GUIDE buttons actually work on YTTV, and finally got a 2 minute skip programmed into it as well. Overall, however, I can live with the bugs. Its a great service.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I decided to move on to Sling. Why?

1. It has surround sound 5.1
2. The picture quality is far better. I have a mesh wireless home network. YTTV apparently doe snot do well on such a network, at least on Amazon Fire. Philo, HBO Max, Paramount+, Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ work great. YTTV would constantly go from crystal clear to very low resolution. Sports would show choppy, crawls on the screen would be jumpy.
3. YTTV tightened even further, tying a person to their home zip code.
4. I was not going to pay $65 a month to have half my channels on the west coats feed and have prime time start at 9 PM

Sling only has east coast feeds. No locals (I get local TV OTA.

I signed up for Sling Blue+Orange and all the extras ($21 discount if you just add them all plus 200 hours DVR) ; with Showtime, EPIX and Starz/Encore it comes to $108. YTTV with movei and sports extras, plus Phio, was costing me $130. This includes HBO, Starz/Encore and EPIX. I added HBO via Amazon Prime. So, my $108 increase to $123, but it is still less expensive that what I had with YTTV. That $108 also includes 200 hours of DVR storage and 4 streams. Plus, I added AMC+, which is something i did not have before.

The sound is great on channels like Showtime, the picture is better (better app or Sling supports mesh wireless), and I have east coast feeds.

The DVR is not as good as YTTV, the guide still needs work (new update coming in couple months), and you do not get SNY, Nickelodeon, a couple other Viacom channels. FOX College Sports, FOX Soccer Plus and CBS Sports Network. Though you do get PAC-12 Network, Longhorn Network, and BEIN Sports.

The downside, yes I have to deal with Charlie Ergin and the various DISH network disputes, which also affects Sling. But teh way YTTV is going, it will be like Hulu plus Live TV; if you leave your zip code, you cannot watch what you paid for. And, no longer allowing VPN. Sling, like Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ will not work over a VPN either.

2981 - 3000 of 3054 Posts