AVS Forum banner

3001 - 3020 of 3054 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I thought Sling (whichever one has Fox Sports 1) only allowed one stream? That would be a no-go here.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
3. YTTV tightened even further, tying a person to their home zip code.

What do you mean by that? I thought all services provided local and/or network stations wanted to know your local area.. We have 2 homes in two different areas. We sometimes are using service simultaneously in both. If we don't use it in the "main' home area at least once in 90 days - they make us switch.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Sling is absolutely not better PQ than YTTV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well I just tried it out and so far pq is on par with YTTV.(watching on a D-Nice calibrated 900e)
DD is only on a few channels but that's better than nothing.
Only $25 for a month so guess if I don't like it I can always go back to YTTV, which I still currently have till 6/21 anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Picture quality may e better on YTTV, but it is not if you use an Amazon Fire Stick 4k over a Wireless Mesh Network.

Since I made the switch, TCM, CNN, all the sports channels look much better than what I saw with YTTV. YEs, I could buy a NVIDIA shield, or I could go back and froth between Roku and the Fire Stick, but that is not the point. The YTTV app on Amazon Fire 4k has had issues for along time.

TCM looks great, much better than it ever did on YTTV. And, base ball looked great on various college and pro sports channels. And, I gained 5.1 surround sound.

Also, I wanted all east coast feeds, and not half my channels coming form the est coast feed. Like Philo, Sling only uses east coast feeds.

As for FS2, if you get Blue+Orange you get FS2. $25 off now, normally $50 for both. $11 more gets you more sports channels. or, for $27 just add all teh extras, You will have both Philo, YTTV (mostly) and then some, for $77/month, instead of $86/month or more.

If you have not traveled, in a while, you will find that YTTV is now doing more stricter zip code and location checking. It now knows both your Home zip code, and the zip code you are watching form. If they differ, you will have to verify your new location. VPN is not enough, you also need a means for GPS location, especially if you want to watch your home area from another zip code. So, if you live in 11787 (Smithtown, LI, NY), but travel to 06061 (Hartford, CT), you will only get Hartford /New Haven Locals. Unless you have a VPN and you set your location to be in 11787, you cannot watch your home channels. This is now enforced by device, not just by your account settings.

I expect the YTTV will get even more stricter, like Hulu + Live TV) in the coming months.

Sling is about to release a new UI which will be on par with YTTV.

Sling blue+orange allows 4 streams.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
The Picture quality may e better on YTTV, but it is not if you use an Amazon Fire Stick 4k over a Wireless Mesh Network.

Since I made the switch, TCM, CNN, all the sports channels look much better than what I saw with YTTV. YEs, I could buy a NVIDIA shield, or I could go back and froth between Roku and the Fire Stick, but that is not the point. The YTTV app on Amazon Fire 4k has had issues for along time.

TCM looks great, much better than it ever did on YTTV. And, base ball looked great on various college and pro sports channels. And, I gained 5.1 surround sound.

Also, I wanted all east coast feeds, and not half my channels coming form the est coast feed. Like Philo, Sling only uses east coast feeds.

As for FS2, if you get Blue+Orange you get FS2. $25 off now, normally $50 for both. $11 more gets you more sports channels. or, for $27 just add all teh extras, You will have both Philo, YTTV (mostly) and then some, for $77/month, instead of $86/month or more.

If you have not traveled, in a while, you will find that YTTV is now doing more stricter zip code and location checking. It now knows both your Home zip code, and the zip code you are watching form. If they differ, you will have to verify your new location. VPN is not enough, you also need a means for GPS location, especially if you want to watch your home area from another zip code. So, if you live in 11787 (Smithtown, LI, NY), but travel to 06061 (Hartford, CT), you will only get Hartford /New Haven Locals. Unless you have a VPN and you set your location to be in 11787, you cannot watch your home channels. This is now enforced by device, not just by your account settings.

I expect the YTTV will get even more stricter, like Hulu + Live TV) in the coming months.

What live channels are you getting 5.1? So far I've only found a couple that have it.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts

I actually use a Asus XT8 mesh system in my home. That said, two of my three FireTV Stick 4ks are hardwired but the third is used over the mesh wifi. It is in a only occasionally used spare bedroom but the YTTV PQ is excellent and indistinguishable from the two hardwired FireTV Stick 4ks.

The screen shots that I have seen from the new Sling UI don't look much better in some respects. But if you don't mind the UI and the channel line-up hits your requirements...well then that is the beauty of these OTT services, your only commitment is a month. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

One more thing I forgot to mention. In both my two main viewing locations (HT and Family Room) I use FireTV Stick 4k, Nvidia Shield, and ATV 4k (we don't do Roku). The YTTV PQ is excellent on all of them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually use a Asus XT8 mesh system in my home. That said, two of my three FireTV Stick 4ks are hardwired but the third is used over the mesh wifi. It is in a only occasionally used spare bedroom but the YTTV PQ is excellent and indistinguishable from the two hardwired FireTV Stick 4ks.

The screen shots that I have seen from the new Sling UI don't look much better in some respects. But if you don't mind the UI and the channel line-up hits your requirements...well then that is the beauty of these OTT services, your only commitment is a month. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

One more thing I forgot to mention. In both my two main viewing locations (HT and Family Room) I use FireTV Stick 4k, Nvidia Shield, and ATV 4k (we don't do Roku). The YTTV PQ is excellent on all of them.
The ATV4K, especially since the last YTTV update, provides the absolute best PQ for YTTV. It’s awesome. Only thing we need now is 5.1 and 4K availability.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The ATV4K, especially since the last YTTV update, provides the absolute best PQ for YTTV. It’s awesome. Only thing we need now is 5.1 and 4K availability.

I am honestly unable to tell the difference between watching YTTV between the three streaming devices (FireTV Stick 4k, Nvidia Shield, and ATV 4k). I have tried A/B/C testing by leaving the room and having my wife randomly switch between the three and have been unable to tell which is playing. Both locations have very good displays. One is a Optoma UHZ65 4k HDR laser projector (all streaming device connected to a Denon x6400h AVR) and the other is a LG OLED65B7A (all streaming devices directly connected) both of which have been professionally calibrated.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I think there has been something going on recently though over the past month or so that has affected YTTV picture quality on some of the live channels. It appears to be overly compressed or something, and is very evident in darker scenes. I’m really noticing it on the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.). The VOD versions of the same content still look really good.

At first I thought it was just me, but I’ve seen more and more posts saying the same thing on the Reddit sub. Yes, I know a lot of the posts there need to be taken with a grain of salt and there is a lot of garbage, but I still think something has changed recently that has affected the PQ, for some channels anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For ne TCM, CNN, ESPN, ESPN2, st to name a few) all had an issue where the PQ would go from crystal clear to very low PQ, and the back again. On TCM is happened almost with every scene change in a movie. At times, YTTV looks as bad as one of those illegal 2000 channel IPTV services.

I thought it might be the Orbi Mesh Network. But, the issue did not show up on Philo, HBO MAx, Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu, Paramount+, Locast or Tablo. So, my conclusion was the YTTV app on Amazon Fire is the problem. On a Roku, YTTV ran fine, before I switched to the Amazon Fire 4k. Couple that with getting wets coat feeds, unless I used a VPN, to get east coast feeds, it just was too much to deal with. Sling, like Philo, uses only east coast feeds. I get my locals OTA, so I do need to pay for them via a streaming service.

Just so you know, I have 1 gigabit over fiber to my home. Fiber goes to an ONT Modem. Orbi router connected to the ONT. Such a set up should not impede PQ or any app or service form my home.

I think there has been something going on recently though over the past month or so that has affected YTTV picture quality on some of the live channels. It appears to be overly compressed or something, and is very evident in darker scenes. I’m really noticing it on the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.). The VOD versions of the same content still look really good.

At first I thought it was just me, but I’ve seen more and more posts saying the same thing on the Reddit sub. Yes, I know a lot of the posts there need to be taken with a grain of salt and there is a lot of garbage, but I still think something has changed recently that has affected the PQ, for some channels anyway.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
For ne TCM, CNN, ESPN, ESPN2, st to name a few) all had an issue where the PQ would go from crystal clear to very low PQ, and the back again. On TCM is happened almost with every scene change in a movie. At times, YTTV looks as bad as one of those illegal 2000 channel IPTV services.

I thought it might be the Orbi Mesh Network. But, the issue did not show up on Philo, HBO MAx, Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu, Paramount+, Locast or Tablo. So, my conclusion was the YTTV app on Amazon Fire is the problem. On a Roku, YTTV ran fine, before I switched to the Amazon Fire 4k. Couple that with getting wets coat feeds, unless I used a VPN, to get east coast feeds, it just was too much to deal with. Sling, like Philo, uses only east coast feeds. I get my locals OTA, so I do need to pay for them via a streaming service.

Just so you know, I have 1 gigabit over fiber to my home. Fiber goes to an ONT Modem. Orbi router connected to the ONT. Such a set up should not impede PQ or any app or service form my home.
Could be and many times is that the problem lies with your CDN not your network speed. As stated by many people, we are seeing stellar high bitrate video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: mjwagner

·
Registered
40 Posts
If it were the CDN, the issues would be on all services, not just one. Also, my ISP is the City of Longmont, Colorado. It is a municipally owned gigabit fiber network. I have a dedicated fiber link to my house. External access, to the Internet, is provided by Level 3 (CenturyLink).

I suspect that the YouTube TV app does not play well with Orbi mesh networks and Amazon Fire 4k sticks. But, does fine with Roku and Android based devices. While Amazon Fire is "Android based" is is not native Android.

Could be and many times is that the problem lies with your CDN not your network speed. As stated by many people, we are seeing stellar high bitrate video.

·
Registered
34 Posts

For my own curiosity, how are you measuring the bitrate of the YTTV video stream? Are you using your own separate tools/equipment or is there a way to tell on the ATV4K?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
If it were the CDN, the issues would be on all services, not just one. Also, my ISP is the City of Longmont, Colorado. It is a municipally owned gigabit fiber network. I have a dedicated fiber link to my house. External access, to the Internet, is provided by Level 3 (CenturyLink).

I suspect that the YouTube TV app does not play well with Orbi mesh networks and Amazon Fire 4k sticks. But, does fine with Roku and Android based devices. While Amazon Fire is "Android based" is is not native Android.
Different services use different CDNs…

Here is just one example - NetFlix -https://openconnect.netflix.com/en/

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
For my own curiosity, how are you measuring the bitrate of the YTTV video stream? Are you using your own separate tools/equipment or is there a way to tell on the ATV4K?
The YTTV player used to allow the Xcode HUD to get that info but that doesn’t work anymore. Someone on a different thread was able to pull that up for me recently using other hardware.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
On the ATV4k it's more difficult and you need a MAC but on the FireTV Stick 4k it is straight forward. Use the key combination or use the Developer Tools app to turn the data display on...

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
On the ATV4k it's more difficult and you need a MAC but on the FireTV Stick 4k it is straight forward. Use the key combination or use the Developer Tools app to turn the data display on...
If you get a chance sometime, I’d be interested in the current bitrate of a 1080p program on a standard channel from the FTV4K. Most of the other stuff is on Stats for Nerds anyway.

3001 - 3020 of 3054 Posts