AVS Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 2255 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Is there anyway to check the info of a show using the ATV remote? Like with the corded guys, you simply hit the info button to get a quick synopsis of a given show.
Their are different ways depending on what you are doing and what part of the UI you are using. For one example, if you are watching a live show, click down twice then highlight the “+” and you will see a synopsis of the show you are currently watching. If you want more info highlight and click on “MORE INFO” then on the next screen highlight “ABOUT”.

·
Registered
996 Posts
It for sure operates a bit differently. I for one don’t miss any of the 100 channels on directv that has crap on them 24/7 that no one cares about or ever watches.

For recorded programs you can skip commercials just like it and for on demand content you mostly can’t just like current directv. At least they give us an ad timer for YouTube TV. It’s very easy to skip commercials on DVR stuff on the Apple TV you literally just drag and seek via the touch pad on the remote. If you’re limited to 10-15 second chunks it’s because of the device your streaming on and not the service itself.

There’s pros and cons to all services pretty much. By far the biggest con with directv is price and weather related signal issues. The biggest con with YouTube TV so far for me is that it consumes data if you leave it on like we do. Fortunately our ISP soft cap is 5TB per month. Biggest pro of directv for me is it’s easier to get per episode information and things of that nature. Biggest pro of YouTube TV is it saves me a bundle and pretty much has all the same features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just for reference for others reading this. You can do the video "scrub" on just about any streaming device that runs YTTV (and you don't need to use the Apple remote even on the ATV 4k to do it). We use Harmony Elite remotes and all you need to do is press and hold down the left/right direction on the d-pad to "scrub" REW/FF. It is very accurate and stops as soon as you release the key. At least it works that way with YTTV on all the streaming devices we run the YTTV app on - FireTV (various types), ATV 4k, and Nvidia Shield (don't know about Roku as we don't do Roku).
Will look into this today on the Roku Ultra.. This of course would be for recorded shows only (not released ie vod)?
Thanks, Gerry
I can't recall which device I was using? Maybe it doesn't matter but commercial skip I preferred while doing the 3 week YTTV trial last December was using a right directional arrow with Harmony or Roku remote. Watching the small pop-up box, each click would advance the content (without playing- maybe I paused or clicked select first?) and just continue clicking forward until I saw my show's resumption point. Click too far forward? Click back left until frame in pop-up is just before the show resuming (no playback going on, just watching the pop-up box). So no ad dialogue or distractions. Not so time consuming either compared to jumping around with less precision.

A small learning curve. But like riding a bike; I had this, likely I can pick it up again. Back on DirecTV until my discounts expire- likely April now- due to billing errors corrected for next statement. New retention tactic? Neither bill was high.

I'm missing that type of commercial skip with my DirecTV HR54 and no more native mode. Sure I can skip 30 seconds at a time (30skip is a search in DirecTV DVR that slips, not slips) but still there's the playback resumption each skip. Stack skips; it's less annoying. Count em and it's guess work; somewhat annoying- skip back jumps are very small, requiring more. But the skips with YTTV were more precise at landing at and less guesswork.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,196 Posts
Their are different ways depending on what you are doing and what part of the UI you are using. For one example, if you are watching a live show, click down twice then highlight the “+” and you will see a synopsis of the show you are currently watching. If you want more info highlight and click on “MORE INFO” then on the next screen highlight “ABOUT”.
Say if I'm scrolling thru the guide and I see, for example, Triple D is on the Food Network. Is there a way I can highlight that and get a quick synopsis of what the episode is about without actually having to click on the channel?

Also, is there a way to set up a recording for first run shows only? I don't need everything from season 1 I've already seen. Just want the new shows.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Say if I'm scrolling thru the guide and I see, for example, Triple D is on the Food Network. Is there a way I can highlight that and get a quick synopsis of what the episode is about without actually having to click on the channel?

Also, is there a way to set up a recording for first run shows only? I don't need everything from season 1 I've already seen. Just want the new shows.

There is not a way, from the live guide, to click and get info on live programs. You can click on future programs and bring up info. For live, you must select then read info from down-arrow menu.

There is no option for only first run episodes. Personally, I'd like to at least see a toggle for showing 'DVR only' in the library.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Regarding recording only new shows, you just have to get used to a new paradigm. Well, actually not new. It's just like Netflix or regular Hulu in which any shows in your queue or library include all the episodes. YouTube TV tracks which ones are new and highlights the show in the New category in your library.
What I dislike about recordings is that if I happen to miss the first episodes of a new show, then add the show to my library, only future episodes appear in my library. There is no way I can watch past episodes that I missed.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
What I dislike about recordings is that if I happen to miss the first episodes of a new show, then add the show to my library, only future episodes appear in my library. There is no way I can watch past episodes that I missed.
If it's just the first episode or two, when you add a new show to your library, you should see the on-demand version listed. And of course if the first episode you missed re-airs it will be recorded.

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
This is not my experience at all. I get the on-demand version or a recording if it airs again.

Is there some other DVR that can record things that aired in the past?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
This is not my experience at all. I get the on-demand version or a recording if it airs again.

Is there some other DVR that can record things that aired in the past?

My experience with new shows is that recently aired episodes typically show up as VOD, but for older series with multiple seasons, its hit or miss what will show as VOD. I suppose it depends on the content owners calling the shots.

You can only 'save' things that will be showed live. If repeat episodes are aired, they'll show as DVR.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
For some odd reason, today when I view YTTV using my laptop and the Chrome or FIrefox browsers, my Live Guide is only showing a fraction of the channels that I usually see. Anyone else experience this issue?

·
Registered
596 Posts
For some odd reason, today when I view YTTV using my laptop and the Chrome or FIrefox browsers, my Live Guide is only showing a fraction of the channels that I usually see. Anyone else experience this issue?
I'm not seeing my locals the rest seem to be there.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I see that periodically on my ROKU. Either reboot the device (clears cache) and/or log out of YTTV and log back in. At least that works for me.

·
Registered
18,196 Posts
Since we use Comcast internet we're eligible for their new and free (which is a rarity with Comcast) Flex streaming box. Anyone here have any experience or opinions on it? Not sure if it's worth the hassle. Then again, free...

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/flex?pc=1

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Does YTTV provide the CW affiliate in most markets or does it depend on who in that market owns the affiliate? In Phoenix, they don't seem to offer the CW affiliate (channel 61 - KASW), but they do provide some of the shows as VoD.

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
Anecdotal evidence is that they offer CW on demand in most markets, but live affiliate in very few. I haven't figured out how ownership factors in.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I'm pretty sure YouTube TV offers CW on demand in every market, which gives you all the current prime-time shows, though usually just the last four or five episodes. Otherwise, it's pretty hit-and-miss as to whether YouTube TV will carry your local CW affiliate. There really wasn't much advantage to having my local CW affiliate until YouTube TV finally lifted the lock on recordings when a VOD version is available.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Anyone notice slight hiccups in the video on FoxSports North and Big Ten Network. It happens only on these two channels, on multiple Roku devices and Chromecast so I don't think it is hardware or network on my end. It occurs about every 10 seconds, almost like a dropped frame but the stats show no drops.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Anyone notice slight hiccups in the video on FoxSports North and Big Ten Network. It happens only on these two channels, on multiple Roku devices and Chromecast so I don't think it is hardware or network on my end. It occurs about every 10 seconds, almost like a dropped frame but the stats show no drops.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
I see no hiccups on my ATV4K or my Amazon Fire Cube 2 with those 2 channels via YTTV.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I see no hiccups on my ATV4K or my Amazon Fire Cube 2 with those 2 channels via YTTV.
Interesting. I'll check FS1 today when watching a game but pretty sure it happens on that channel as well. Essentially all of the FS related channels.

It is very slight but one of those things where once you see it you can't unsee it. :) And this has been going on since Dec. I send a report every time I'm watching a game but zero response so far.

1621 - 1640 of 2255 Posts