AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What about mic placement for listening positions that are outside of my front left and right. I have seating arranged in a horseshoe configuration with a couch facing the center; I can get 3 measurements going down the top of couch (more if I put the tripod on the seat cushions). I have a loveseat to the left and a chair to the right both angled forming the "U" shape but these seats fall outside of the mains on either side. Is it OK to include these seating positions when running YPAO? Audyssey says not to do this but I couldn't find Yamaha's recommendation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolly /forum/post/20810144


What about mic placement for listening positions that are outside of my front left and right. I have seating arranged in a horseshoe configuration with a couch facing the center; I can get 3 measurements going down the top of couch (more if I put the tripod on the seat cushions). I have a loveseat to the left and a chair to the right both angled forming the "U" shape but these seats fall outside of the mains on either side. Is it OK to include these seating positions when running YPAO? Audyssey says not to do this but I couldn't find Yamaha's recommendation.

Marketing claims aside, there can only be one "sweet spot". The further apart your multi-point measurements are, the more of a trade off you will get in accurate timings and EQ. If you have the option of saving multiple YPAO settings, you can use this to fine tune the setup for different groups of listeners. But bye and large you should probably consider limiting the multi-point measurements to a smaller area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20810259


Which model Yamaha is this?

RX-V3900.....I know you're a Yamaha phan (pun intended) Phantom, are you using one of the Aventage receivers and if so do you notice any difference with its version of YPAO?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/20810408


Marketing claims aside, there can only be one "sweet spot". The further apart your multi-point measurements are, the more of a trade off you will get in accurate timings and EQ. If you have the option of saving multiple YPAO settings, you can use this to fine tune the setup for different groups of listeners. But bye and large you should probably consider limiting the multi-point measurements to a smaller area.

Thanks rdgrimes, I took my measurements (6) from the center couch only - 3 along the top of the couch back where your head would be and 3 with the tripod sitting on the couch cushion (where your rear would be but at the same height as the first 3 measurements). I felt like I needed maybe more than 3 measurements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolly /forum/post/20810490


Thanks rdgrimes, I took my measurements (6) from the center couch only - 3 along the top of the couch back where your head would be and 3 with the tripod sitting on the couch cushion (where your rear would be but at the same height as the first 3 measurements). I felt like I needed maybe more than 3 measurements.

You need only what you need, so to speak. Keep in mind the distances of 6" or less are pretty difficult to discern. At 1' it's much easier to hear delays and reflections. So unless you're moving the mike more than 6-12" for each measurement, very little will be changed that's audible. I'm a big believer in single-point measurements, but I always hog the sweet spot.


IMHO, time and effort is better spent working on room treatments to eliminate reflections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolly /forum/post/20810461


RX-V3900.....I know you're a Yamaha phan (pun intended) Phantom, are you using one of the Aventage receivers and if so do you notice any difference with its version of YPAO?

Still a huge Yammie fan but not using one at this time. Right now its the H/K 7550 HD that's taking up a A3000's space. This H/K is really nice but wondering how that A3000 would sound. Can't seem to get the Yamaha's out of my blood. Anyway with that 3900 I would put that mic in the sweet spot and let her rip. It really sounds like your furniture is arranged like ours. With the Yamaha 2600 I put the mic about 1 ft. in the front of the couch on the tri-pod at ear level. Worked great for me. I would think that there would indeed be a difference in the YPAO versions especially with the Aventage A2000/3000 being able to calibrate the subs. I really like the H/K and its EQ program. Much better to me than Audyssey XT. But I also liked YPAO more than Audyssey. Me thinks I'm doing something wrong with Audyssey or its just not for me. That Onkyo 876 is a very good AVR it just didn't sound right to me. Oh well good luck and enjoy your Yamaha, its going to be around for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20811239


Still a huge Yammie fan but not using one at this time. Right now its the H/K 7550 HD that's taking up a A3000's space. This H/K is really nice but wondering how that A3000 would sound. Can't seem to get the Yamaha's out of my blood. Anyway with that 3900 I would put that mic in the sweet spot and let her rip. It really sounds like your furniture is arranged like ours. With the Yamaha 2600 I put the mic about 1 ft. in the front of the couch on the tri-pod at ear level. Worked great for me. I would think that there would indeed be a difference in the YPAO versions especially with the Aventage A2000/3000 being able to calibrate the subs. I really like the H/K and its EQ program. Much better to me than Audyssey XT. But I also liked YPAO more than Audyssey. Me thinks I'm doing something wrong with Audyssey or its just not for me. That Onkyo 876 is a very good AVR it just didn't sound right to me. Oh well good luck and enjoy your Yamaha, its going to be around for a long time.

So are you saying just take 1 measurement? I'm going to my local Magnolia tomorrow to see what kind of deal I can wrangle on their display A3000. I didnt realize the Aventage YPAO has sub eq...now I'm really stoked!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolly /forum/post/20811324


So are you saying just take 1 measurement? I'm going to my local Magnolia tomorrow to see what kind of deal I can wrangle on their display A3000. I didnt realize the Aventage YPAO has sub eq...now I'm really stoked!

The Aventage A2000/3000 both will Eq the sub/s. The lower model Aventage line does not. And as for the 3900, yes just measure 1 position and try it from there. Remember that YPAO is a tweakers delight. Tweak the settings to your liking. Its still one of the only Eq programs that you can do this with. Good luck on your Aventage search. You may want to do a compare on the Yamaha website between the A2000 and A3000 to see if the difference of the price is worth it to you. The A2000 can be had for a very good price right now. I have a salesperson that will give me an excellent price on the A3000 is why I would go for it. The A2000 can be had for under 1K easily.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top