AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been all over this blog and as a result of tom v (psa) and many other experts' advice, i took the dive and bought a psa s1500 sub. it replaces my mid 90's purchase of a velo ct120 in a relatively very large open area with vaulted 14' - 20' ceiling. mind u, i was pretty happy with the velo it replace, k, but this thing's a damn beast.

so here's my question - when using ypao on the yammy recvr, it does a couple things that i override:
  1. it "sees" my Energy Take Classic 5.1 fronts & center as large.
  2. it wants to crank the sub's volume down, significantly.
so since these are essentially satellite spkrs, i've adjusted the size to small and chg'd the sub x-over value to 120 hz, per the Energy manual. for those who are not familiar the energy's have 3" drivers and a dome twtr according to cnet.

the psa s1500 is mind blowing! it replaces the velo which replaced the energy sub. i watched dark knight yet again and was scared to death! mind-blowing intensity at just under half volume and 0 db (after my ypao adjustment). the entire house moves and i'm taking 3.2k sq ft on 2 acres! hell, i can hear bass with the windows closed at my neighbor's house over 150' away!!!

so yes, i feel like i've died and gone to wave pressure heaven but my question is this, other than the feel of the lfe signals in the couch and every other room by personal pref, am i missing some "true" audio for the sake of the total experience? btw, i'm very fossilized so my days of hearing anything over 7.5k hz (onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html) are likely over!

tom v from psa, if u read this, u've created a monster - may buy another for the 2nd floor.

thanks, in advance, folks. ooh, i'm so damn happy!!

family rm:
RX-A740, Energy Take Classic (keeps the peace), s1500
bed rm:
RX-V475, Cambridge Soundworks 5.1, velo cht-8
loft:
RX-A1000, Yamaha 777 frt / 555 rr, velo ct120

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
It's normal to override room corrections settings. Standard procedure is as follows:

1) run calibration so Ypao sets the sub level to -6

2) now bump sub trim up manually if you desire, 0 puts you +6db hot.

3) set all speakers small and the cross over @ 80hz to start. Sounds like you choose 120hz which is fine long as you do not notice any localization.

4) kick back, open up a frosty beer, pop in your preferred source material and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Congratulations on your sub. I’m sure you are really enjoying it.

It’s best if your AVR sets the trim level of your sub at -3 to -6 or so (others seek -6 to -9). So play around with the sub’s gain level for YPAO to attain approximately that trim level setting. I have mine at around -7.5 and then I run the sub about 3 dB hot (-4.5) via the AVR. Oh, once you have the right trim level, there is no need to touch the sub’s gain setting again.

YPAO is similar to other programs, such as Audyssey, in that they will indeed set levels lower than one may prefer. But you have control and can set it to whatever you prefer. There is nothing unusual about this.

I will say that your speakers, whether they are keeping the peace or not, are going to be way overmatched by your sub. I’d think about replacing them with something that will stand up to your sub. They don’t have to be big or expensive, but you should be looking for at least a 5-1/4” driver. Then you can choose a more normal 80 Hz crossover. Just a thought.

Edit: Yeah, what basshead said ;).

·
AVS ***** Member
8,970 Posts
Congratulations! I love lot's of bass. There aren't many things more fun than getting a new sub. Two new subs, perhaps? :p

To add to the excellent advice above, I particularly liked the suggestion that you try to upgrade your other speakers when you can. I would definitely expect the small mid-range drivers in your speakers to be completely over-matched. And I think you would find some SQ improvement with larger drivers and the more standard 80Hz crossovers.

Although I would expect your sub to be pretty bulletproof from a distortion standpoint, I also agree with the advice to start with a YPAO setting of about -8 (just tweak your sub gain up a little). Then, as you add sub boost, you will have plenty of room to go up in the AVR without exceeding about 0.0 in trim level. It's probably an unnecessary precaution, but you don't say what your MV level is, and as you exceed about -10 MV, you want to be sure that your sub amp is doing most of the work. So, just in case.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's normal to override room corrections settings. Standard procedure is as follows:

1) run calibration so Ypao sets the sub level to -6

2) now bump sub trim up manually if you desire, 0 puts you +6db hot.

3) set all speakers small and the cross over @ 80hz to start. Sounds like you choose 120hz which is fine long as you do not notice any localization.

4) kick back, open up a frosty beer, pop in your preferred source material and enjoy. :)
ok, i just followed your sugg and will try test it out later today. btw, for some reason, ypao "sees" the fronts and center as large then sets the x-over to 80. based on the manufacturer's spec, i set them to small and 120.

thanks so very much - means alot!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congratulations on your sub. I’m sure you are really enjoying it.

It’s best if your AVR sets the trim level of your sub at -3 to -6 or so (others seek -6 to -9). So play around with the sub’s gain level for YPAO to attain approximately that trim level setting. I have mine at around -7.5 and then I run the sub about 3 dB hot (-4.5) via the AVR. Oh, once you have the right trim level, there is no need to touch the sub’s gain setting again.

YPAO is similar to other programs, such as Audyssey, in that they will indeed set levels lower than one may prefer. But you have control and can set it to whatever you prefer. There is nothing unusual about this.

I will say that your speakers, whether they are keeping the peace or not, are going to be way overmatched by your sub. I’d think about replacing them with something that will stand up to your sub. They don’t have to be big or expensive, but you should be looking for at least a 5-1/4” driver. Then you can choose a more normal 80 Hz crossover. Just a thought.

Edit: Yeah, what basshead said ;).
ok, much appreciated advice but i'm too old to piss her off in that room. hell, it's even worse, the setup is such that the fronts are behind the drapes - yeah i know but she allows me the br and the cave so it's a small price to pay as a "piecekeeper" (no-wha-i'm-sayin'). mind u, it's unlikely that i'd even hear those higher tones attenuated by those drapes.

still, if u have any suggestions, let me know ok. they sit on the 5" (back to front of spkr) window sill ledge.

. . . again, thanks so much! u guys are really great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations! I love lot's of bass. There aren't many things more fun than getting a new sub. Two new subs, perhaps? :p

To add to the excellent advice above, I particularly liked the suggestion that you try to upgrade your other speakers when you can. I would definitely expect the small mid-range drivers in your speakers to be completely over-matched. And I think you would find some SQ improvement with larger drivers and the more standard 80Hz crossovers.

Although I would expect your sub to be pretty bulletproof from a distortion standpoint, I also agree with the advice to start with a YPAO setting of about -8 (just tweak your sub gain up a little). Then, as you add sub boost, you will have plenty of room to go up in the AVR without exceeding about 0.0 in trim level. It's probably an unnecessary precaution, but you don't say what your MV level is, and as you exceed about -10 MV, you want to be sure that your sub amp is doing most of the work. So, just in case.

Regards,
Mike
ok mike, i'm stumped! have no idea how to measure mv - i'm assuming millivolts. ypao as u know shows db. still, i followed basshead's advice and methinks i'm there. will replay dark knight again once the birds are awake!

thanks for your time and advice, k. it is appreciated even though it may be a bit over my head.

·
AVS ***** Member
8,970 Posts
ok mike, i'm stumped! have no idea how to measure mv - i'm assuming millivolts. ypao as u know shows db. still, i followed basshead's advice and methinks i'm there. will replay dark knight again once the birds are awake!

thanks for your time and advice, k. it is appreciated even though it may be a bit over my head.

Sorry about that! I shouldn't have used the acronym. :eek: And you are certainly welcome for any help. MV in that context just means master volume. Chances are you are not listening above -10 (the volume level on your AVR) anyway, but it's good practice to keep your sub trim at 0.0, or less, just in case. Following Basshead's advice is usually a good idea. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts