AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm a bit excited about this because my home is wired for 10.2 channels... :) and well with the Yamaha 2400 it looks like I might be able to use 9.2 of those channels.... 7.1 plus the effects, plus another subwoofer (Paradigm Monitor 90p's).

My question is does the YPAO also equalize the effect channels?

Cheers - Dave :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
While I don't have "presence" (sic?) speakers hooked up to my 2400, I did notice that the Auto Setup brought up the fact that they were missing at several points in the process. I assume that the extra speakers would have been set (leveled/distance/equalized) at these points.

I did come across something in the manual that leads me to believe that the 2400 won't use both 'presence' and back surround speakers at the same time. Depending on the DSP mode, only one pair of speakers or the other will be active.

With the number of people on these boards who've bought the 2400 recently, hopefullly someone who does have 'presence' speakers will jump in with more definitive information.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by IDSmoker

I did come across something in the manual that leads me to believe that the 2400 won't use both 'presence' and back surround speakers at the same time. Depending on the DSP mode, only one pair of speakers or the other will be active.
I think you can use the rears and the front effect... the "think" comes from the "RX-V2400 NEW PRODUCT BULLETIN " which states:

"Tri-Field CINEMA DSP projects three

sound fields into the home theater: a

Presence sound field in the front and

two Surround sound fields in the left

rear and right rear, resulting in a

powerfully realistic three-dimensional

soundscape. And now Yamaha also

offers Quad-Field CINEMA DSP. It

adds an additional rear center sound

field to the Tri-Field system, in order

to enjoy the new 6.1-channel

formats, Dolby Digital EX and DTSES."

Of course I may be misreading the above?

Cheers - Dave

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used to use the front presence speakers for my Yamaha 3090. Later

I took them off and I found the sound seperation so much better. What i

like about the Yamahas ( I have own three so far and looking forward to the 2400) are the DSPs. Concerts sounds great and as for movies the Adventure and Enhanced Dolby modes improve the "movie experince".

But the Dolby Normal mode tends to sound flat after listening to the other

DSP modes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
From what I read, it seems like you can hook them up along with all the other speakers. During YPAO it does check for the presence of the presence speakers, so I'd figure it would eq them. These extra two speaker outputs were on the list of selling points for me. I've got my HT setup along the longer wall of the room, so I'm gonna give it a try and see if it fills that width up with some good sound/effects. I'm not really sure about the best placement of these speakers, though, so I'm figuring it'll be a lot of trial and error. I also think that you can assign the surround back speaker outputs to run the presence speakers, but if you want all 9 channels you'll have to power either the surround back or the presence speakers with an outboard amp. The older Yamaha's had the presence speakers powered a lot less than the rest of the system, so I'd think the cheapest way to go would be to buy an amp for the presence speakers. If you're using a multi-room setup, I think the best way would be to get a lower powered multi-room amp and use two of those outputs for the presence speakers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by erikb333
I also think that you can assign the surround back speaker outputs to run the presence speakers, but if you want all 9 channels you'll have to power either the surround back or the presence speakers with an outboard amp.
That's an excellent point and one that I was wondering myself... because well according to this (see picture of back of amp)

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/R...XV2400_lit.PDF

there appears to be speaker outputs for both the surround back and the presence speakers.... yet no RCA output for the presence speakers which leads me to believe that power must be assigned from the amp somewhere to power the presence speakers.... that would mean 9 powered channels rather than the advertised 7. No.... ?

Now Confused - Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.