Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

Which input on plasma is the best to use for HDTV signal? Are there any pros or cons in using one over another.

Thank you for your input !

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
VGA or RGBHV is best. Some say RGBHV is the best. Component is not considered as a connection for HDTV.

·
Registered
117 Posts
HDTV can be component or RGBHV. You will find that receivers will output one or the other, some may give you both.

RGBHV is a higher video format, however component is still high quality. The difference will probably not be perceivable by the casual viewer.

As far as which input to use, match the output of your HDTV source.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
seems like some mixed metaphors about color formats and connectors:

rgb, rgbhv are similar, just different paths for the sync; they can be connected via BNC connectors, VGA-style connectors or RCA (phono) connectors;

YPrPb is another format also called component, it uses three wires and generally RCA or BNC connectors.

as was mentioned, HD can be carried over component or rgbhv; if you need to convert from one format to another, you need to do it with an electronic device; if you need to convert from one connector to another, you need a breakout cable or cable adapter.

·
Registered
925 Posts
one random thing worth mentioning re: YPbPr and RGB(HV) is that the cabling is generally identical (except for the extra two calbes if you have HV). so if you have a long run to your plasma, run a five-wire configuration and then you can route a three-wire configuration (RGB or YPbPr) through it. as i said. random. and it was :)

doody!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gents,

Let me explain my situation I have a TU-DST51/PVHD1000. Currently I output from TU-DST51 via YPrPb (the only HD connector it has). I also have Sony 9000ES DVD which also has YPrPb on it. Currently I am swapping cable back and forth (way ugly, huh:) My Plasma has YPrPb terminating RCA female, YPrPb+HV terminating BNC, DVI, S-VHS, Composite in (RCA) and VGA input (PC type connector like DB25 but not exactly). There is a cable on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...ndexURL=0&rd=1

(Item # 1295368695) claiming to give me the correct conversion from YPrPb into VGA adapter (not sure on pinout on it). Many Forum Members suggest that there is a need for an electronic device to do the conversion. Any suggestions ? Will this cable work if I were to plug it into TU-DST51 and connect to VGA input on Plasma (given the pinout is correct?) Any TU-DST20 owners ? I thought it has VGA out. Do they include VGA to YPbPr cable with it ?

Thank you in advance for your help !

·
Registered
925 Posts
my understanding is that you can breakout VGA --- RGB(HV) but you cannot breakout VGA --- YPbPr. VGA is a form of RGB. YPbPr is not. hence the need for a converter of some sort.

but i'm not a video signal expert (i just play one on tv). so ask around.

doody.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The cable you mentioned may work if you can switch the sync to green (through an on screen menu in your plasma).

I have a Panasonic plasma (VGA connector) and tuner (5 RCAs)connected. When setting up my plasma for a PC input, I found I could switch the sync between sync on green and sync on H and V.

For a while I was switching one cable between my tuner and my DVD (what a pain as you have mentioned).

I had Better Cables put together the cable mentioned above as well as a component cable with BNCs on one end and RCAs on the other.

Which ota channels have you been receiving.

In Brookline 7-1 and 20-1 have been most reliable.

30-1 has been spotty.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
rgbhv and rgb, sync on green, are still both rgb, not YPrPb, regardless of whether they come via vga, bnc or rca connectors. the only way to switch between rgb and YPrPb (component) is with an electronic device that will transcode

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
You are absolutely correct, three RGB with sync on green is not the same as three wire component. Does anyone know in theory which one is better. Key Digital makes some relatively inexpensive rgb to component and component to rgb converters. They work real well and have a retail price of under $200 each.

The issue of BNC, RCA, VGA connectors is quite different. According to Extron in product training, a VGA connector because of the small wire sizes involved and other factors is not a high quality connection for high quality video. It is used because it is cheap and takes up much less space than multiple BNCs and RCAs. The primary advantage of BNCs (besides their locking ability) is the constant 75 ohm impedence you get. RCAs are generally 50 ohm. You can arque all day whether a 25 ohm difference makes any difference. Most consumer goods use RCAs and not BNCs.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
clutchcargo++++++

I am in Malden... still trying to figure out OTA. All I was getting 7-1 via bowtie or RECOTON 2000. I guess I should start looking for professional installer and wineguard, or ChannelMaster of some sort.

ALL+++++ I guess I have to buy this "magical" Audio Authority Transcoder (like $119 or so). I am not sure if it is bi-directional though. They claim VGA to Component and I need vise versa.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just had a conversation with Tech Support at Audio Authority and they confirmed that I need 9A62 which is 480P Component to RGB (VGA to 5BNC cable included) powered converter. The point to make is that it will support 480P (tested and supported configuration). Another manufacturer is Key Digital with KD-CTC1 (about $179)

Hope this info will help fellow HDTV enthusiasts !

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mark haflich
You are absolutely correct, three RGB with sync on green is not the same as three wire component. Does anyone know in theory which one is better. Key Digital makes some relatively inexpensive rgb to component and component to rgb converters. They work real well and have a retail price of under $200 each.

The issue of BNC, RCA, VGA connectors is quite different. According to Extron in product training, a VGA connector because of the small wire sizes involved and other factors is not a high quality connection for high quality video. It is used because it is cheap and takes up much less space than multiple BNCs and RCAs. The primary advantage of BNCs (besides their locking ability) is the constant 75 ohm impedence you get. RCAs are generally 50 ohm. You can arque all day whether a 25 ohm difference makes any difference. Most consumer goods use RCAs and not BNCs.
There shouldn't be much difference between RGB and three wire component because you can convert from one to the other with a simple linear matrix. There may be subtle differences due to efficient use of headroom in the three channels, but that shouldn't be significant unless your signal-to-noise ratio is really marginal.

Regarding VGA connector quality: Impedance mismatching will manifest itself as "ghosts"or reflections in the signal. I have seen enough computer monitors connected via VGA connectors to discount the idea that impedance mismatch is a practical problem. If you don't get ghosting with a 1600x1200 computer display, then you're certainly not going to get it with 1080i, let alone 480p signals, because the bandwidth of the TV signals is far lower than the bandwidth required to display the 1600x1200 image.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It seems that Key Digital is a winner. KD-CTC (street about $179) has "auto-sensing" and will automatically detect 480/720/1080. It has component in and VGA out. You can use VGA to 5 BNC to go into Plasma or Projector. This model is to be replaced by KD-CTC1 ($199) (no auto sensing but dip-switch and KD-CTCA2 ($299 or so)(two VGA outs and manual dip-switch).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.