AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get a sleek soundbar to compliment a 55" samsung. I'll be using the digital audio output from the TV so I don't care about all the inputs or other features of the bar. YSP-1100 I expect will have better psychoacoustics, but the HT-CT500 has a subwoofer, sleeker look, and is possibly better for music. Will the sony's surround sound ability come even close? Which should I get?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voisine /forum/post/16958847

I'd like to get a sleek soundbar to compliment a 55" samsung. I'll be using the digital audio output from the TV so I don't care about all the inputs or other features of the bar. YSP-1100 I expect will have better psychoacoustics, but the HT-CT500 has a subwoofer, sleeker look, and is possibly better for music. Will the sony's surround sound ability come even close? Which should I get?

Having owned both (still own the CT-500) I can say they are both great soundbars.

The big plus for the CT-500 is all the inputs and the 3 HDMI's.

The big plus for the YSP-1100 is the "somewhat" better surround sound.

The CT-500 come's very close to the YSP's as far as the surround sound.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the 1100 and love it.. not heard a ct500 but compared to the ct100 its no contest.. the 1100 blows it away.

I'd be leary jumpin into the ct 500 as many have been defective and returned..including one owned by the poster above mone ... go check out the thread on it and see what I mean..

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue comet /forum/post/16959033

I have the 1100 and love it.. not heard a ct500 but compared to the ct100 its no contest.. the 1100 blows it away.

I'd be leary jumpin into the ct 500 as many have been defective and returned..including one owned by the poster above mone ... go check out the thread on it and see what I mean..

I would agree with most of what you posted,,,, yes the YSP-1100 would be a better choice over the CT-100,,,, but the CT-500 sounds way better than the CT-100 so that closes the gap quite a bit.

As far as me getting a defective CT-500,, yes my first one was, but the one I have now that I got from Crutchfield is problem free and works perfectly.

And yes, the YSP's are great, over the years I have owned the YSP 1, the 500, the 800, the 900, the 1100 and the 4000, and really loved all of them.

The 1100 and the 4000 being the best of course.

At this point in time though,,, the CT-500 is my current favorite.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, you guys convinced me to get the ct500... then I went to best buy and saw the samsung HT-WS1. As far as aesthetics, price, and design goes, I want it. It's designed to match my flat screen, has just the one input for exactly how I intend to use it, and it's cheaper. Does anyone know if the virtual surround actually works on it though? I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality for aesthetics and design, but If the surround effect doesn't work on the sammy, I'll have to go with the ct500. For everything not sound related the ws1 is perfect. The room I'll be using I think is pretty ideal for psychoacoustics, 19'x13'x8', hardwood floor, single couch in the middle of the room, no other furniture or drapes or anything.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi Voisine,

I was VERY unimpressed with the Samsung Soundbar. Nothing is going to give you proper and close to real surround as the YSPs. I must say though, I just heard a Sony CT 500 and really liked it. And for me that is saying a lot because I feel the YSP technology is really the only one of the sounbars that come close to true surround. but..the CT 500 was really nice and a great set up for the price..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, reading reviews, no one seems to like the samsung.
And anyway it turns out the audio output of the samsung LED tv's don't passthrough a surround signal, so I'll have to hook whatever I get directly up to the source, not the tv out. That sux. I'm a sucker for minimalist design.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voisine /forum/post/16961539

Well, you guys convinced me to get the ct500... then I went to best buy and saw the samsung HT-WS1. As far as aesthetics, price, and design goes, I want it. It's designed to match my flat screen, has just the one input for exactly how I intend to use it, and it's cheaper. Does anyone know if the virtual surround actually works on it though? I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality for aesthetics and design, but If the surround effect doesn't work on the sammy, I'll have to go with the ct500. For everything not sound related the ws1 is perfect. The room I'll be using I think is pretty ideal for psychoacoustics, 19'x13'x8', hardwood floor, single couch in the middle of the room, no other furniture or drapes or anything.

I think there is some user reviews of the Samsung on BestBuys website and on Amazon.

From what I have read about the Samsung here is my advice,,,, if you buy the Samsung,,,, do not ever check out or listen to a YSP or the CT-500

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it...
I wish it weren't so. I'm back to the ct500 now. Turns out the tv out doesn't pass a surround signal anyway, so I'll have to hook up all sources to the soundbar. That pretty much ruins the simplicity of the samsung system which was the whole point of it. I'll have to console myself with having a single hdmi cable going to the tv.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my HT-CT500 today. It looks great and the virtual surround is awesome. Mounting up high does improve the surround effect. Probably because there's less stuff in the way to deflect the sound.

Bass seems boomy, I'm used to tight accurate bass, but when the TV shows up, I'll be able to use the on screen menu and adjust it down to see if that helps.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voisine /forum/post/17037141

Got my HT-CT500 today. It looks great and the virtual surround is awesome. Mounting up high does improve the surround effect. Probably because there's less stuff in the way to deflect the sound.

Bass seems boomy, I'm used to tight accurate bass, but when the TV shows up, I'll be able to use the on screen menu and adjust it down to see if that helps.

Great to hear your diggin your CT-500, and yes, the virtual surround this things puts out is awesome to say the least.

Cool,,, the mounting up higher worked for you.

When I mounted my CT-500 up higher it made a huge difference for me.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/17044271

Great to hear your diggin your CT-500, and yes, the virtual surround this things puts out is awesome to say the least.

Cool,,, the mounting up higher worked for you.

When I mounted my CT-500 up higher it made a huge difference for me.

Cheers

Davyo

Hi Davyo, you mentioned your TV's mounted above the fireplace, and ct500 mounted above the it right? Does this mean the ct500's just about 2 feet below your ceiling? That's fairly high is it not? Would it make any difference if one would angle it shooting upward but mounted right below the TV? After reading your great posts, I'm planning to get the ct500 myself but it's not avail. up here yet in Canada...really sucks. By the way, did you tighten the bass by lowering it's volume or is there a separate way to tweak the bass directly. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carldgopher /forum/post/17103689

Hi Davyo, you mentioned your TV's mounted above the fireplace, and ct500 mounted above the it right? Does this mean the ct500's just about 2 feet below your ceiling? That's fairly high is it not? Would it make any difference if one would angle it shooting upward but mounted right below the TV? After reading your great posts, I'm planning to get the ct500 myself but it's not avail. up here yet in Canada...really sucks. By the way, did you tighten the bass by lowering it's volume or is there a separate way to tweak the bass directly. Thanks!

Hi Carldgopher and welcome to the forum.

Yes, my CT-500 is about 2 feet from my ceiling (I have pictures posted on the CT-500 thread).

I never would have thought of tring the CT-500 up that high had it not been for mounting my 55" LCD above my fireplace, for me, mounting the CT-500 up that high really brought it to life.

As far as pointing the CT-500 towards the ceiling I have no idea what that would do,,,, as far as the bass, yes I did lower it but I am still playing with the settings so I have not settled on any final settings yet.

That sucks that the CT-500 is not yet for sale in Canada,,, I wonder if Crutchfeild could sell/send you one in Canada ?,,,, could'nt hurt to email them and ask.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carldgopher /forum/post/17103689

.. I'm planning to get the ct500 myself but it's not avail. up here yet in Canada...really sucks. By the way, did you tighten the bass by lowering it's volume or is there a separate way to tweak the bass directly. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat and seriously starting to consider this product.

The only apparently reputable online vendor I can find to sell this product to me as a Canadian (I'm in Toronto) is JR.com and shipping would be UPS worldwide (with an additional charge of $180 US

well I found this as a Buy-It-Now option on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-SONY-HT-CT500...d=p3286.c0.m14

Shipping is a more reasonable $80, but I'd hate to think of the issues if there were warranty problems...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts