AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Geez, I had to use the search function to find any mention of this new device, and even then there was only one post and it was two months old.

Well, time to revive it. Yuclid looks like something similar to what we're all aiming for on this forum. The product line is here. Two models, each black with a wireless keyboard, the cheaper has an 800mhz Celeron vs. a P4 1.5Ghz. Both are running XP and offer PVR (via ATI's Multimedia Center), DVD/Divx playback, PC games, MP3s, and networking capability. Outputs include S-video, DVI-I, and SPDIF. Options include wi-fi, DVD burner, and a bigger hard drive.

And the lesser of the two models will run you only $549. That's without a remote, although it does have 2 serial ports and 2 USB ports, and the faq states " . . .adding a remote would increase the cost by more than you could purchase it yourself. There are a number of remotes by various manufactures that are simple to install and configure."

Interesting, although I have to ask:

1. How good is the ATI PVR software?

2. What about HDTV?

3. What's the media playback software? Are they going to get snotty about ripped DVD's saved as Divx on another computer?

Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the entry level Yuclid and really like it a lot. I uise it a lot for an MP3 jukebox and recording shows and as a DVD player. For your specific questions....

1. How good is the ATI PVR software

A. I find it to be pretty good. It works well and is pretty reliable. It is really easy to use. I have not had any real problems with it missing shows or anything like that. The only thing that I wish i could do is record more than one show at a time. That would be GREAT!

2. What about HDTV?

A. I have a widescreen HDTV that the Yuclid is hooked to. The Yuclid does have the DVI output, but my TV does not have that as an input option. Since both of my Component Inputs are in use by my HDTV tuner and my ProgressiveScan DVD i have not purchased the SVGA->component converter for the Yuclid. I just have it hooked directly to the TV via the SVideo cable. The picture looks great when viewing shows or DVDs via this connection. Although the resolution is set for 4:3 instead of 16:9 like me TV it is not too noticable. I am told that they are working on a new resolution setting on the Yuclid for 16:9 so hopefully I will see something soon.

3. What's the media playback software? Are they going to get snotty about

ripped DVD's saved as Divx on another computer?

A. ATI file player or Windows Media Player, but you can use anything they want. I am sure that they do not condone 'borrowing' of copyrighted material, but as in most cases it is up to the user to abide by the law.

Overall I have been VERY happy with my console. It is a pretty great device and works for everything I want it to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.