AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that some of these projectors will be especially difficult to obtain before christmas, but I am still deadlocked on deciding which of these three projectors I should go ahead and purchase.


My viewing will be mainly dvd, dish tv, and occasional console gaming. Many of my DVDs are not widescreen, so a projector not being 16:9 is not a deal breaker. However many of them do contain subtitles, and are also black and white films. I will be driving the projector with an HTPC. Here is a short list of what I believe to be the pros and cons of each pj.


AE300:

pro

5000 lamp hrs

smoothscreen tech

con

weaker contrast? for black and white?

4:3 material?

subtitles/captions? How does this projector handle these?


z90

pro

great contrast for black and white

4:3 native good for tv viewing?

con

low resolution (800x600)

possibly pixellated subtitles and captions. (this would be especially bad if illegible)


HS10

pro

High res widescreen (for the true cinematic experience)

con

low availability

weaker perhaps in viewing 4:3 black and white films compared to the z90.


My room is 24' x 18' so short throw is not necessary and longer throw is preferred. I'm currently leaning toward the AE300 because screendoor would not be an issue. Rainbows and eye fatigue not a problem. And the longest lamp life is a compelling feature, as I intend to have marathons with the pj. However how does the projector handle poor video sources? Such as television and old black and white movies. And does the smoothscreen technology garble captions/subtitles?


Thanks in advance,


Woodrow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,339 Posts
how come you don't have the sanyo plv-z1 on your list? I am pretty sure the sanyo is better at blacks and shadow detail compared to the hs10 and probably the ae300 as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,339 Posts
So have you even seen the z1 in action to know what the screendoor issue is like on the projector? Or are you just assuming it is a problem? Curious.


I say go for the z90 on that list if you have a lot of 4x3 viewing. If not, then go for the ae300, even though I bet the Z1 has a slightly superior looking picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I have not seen the Z1 in action. I have seen many lcd projectors however and I cannot stand screendoor on even the mla versions.


I think the z90 sounds like a great choice but I'm hesitant on that because it has the least amount of lamp life, and while I am not prone to rainbows I do suffer headaches from 2x colorwheel dlps. I do not know if 5x colorwheel will ameliorate the situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ws001e
No I have not seen the Z1 in action. I have seen many lcd projectors however and I cannot stand screendoor on even the mla versions.
So why is the HS10 in your list?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
If you cannot stand screendoor, the only LCD that you'd be happy with is the AE300. I also doubt whether the Z1 is better at blacks and shadow detail than the AE300 - Rob hasn't seen an AE300 and I haven't seen a Z1, so we're both speculating :), but they do have the same contrast ratio 800:1 although the AE300 has higher lumens (800 vs 700).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How does the AE300 handle subtitles? I'm leaning toward the AE300 because it has twice the lamp life of the z90, and people have complemented on its blacks. Have you seen any black and white movies with the AE300?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_B
So why is the HS10 in your list?
The HS10 is on my list despite the fact that I'm very aware of screendoor, is because people have said that the screendoor is very reduced due to the long throw and the high resolution
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
>>Have you seen any black and white movies with the AE300?

Yes, I watched "Strangers on a Train" the other day and it looked very good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xander
If you cannot stand screendoor, the only LCD that you'd be happy with is the AE300.
I completely agree with the above statement. Today I saw the Sony VW-12HT projecting on a 96" diagonal Stewart Greyhawk. The screendoor was visible 12 feet away from the screen!. Please note that the VW-12HT doesn't even belongs to the under $5K forum as it retails for well over $6K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Quote:
Have you seen any black and white movies with the AE300?
I've watched "Seven Samurai" last night on my AE300 and I was very impressed.


Also remember that Sanyo PLV-Z1 doesn't have DVI input as AE300 has.


Julia
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,339 Posts
How good is your eyesight? Just because Joe Blow says he sees screendoor on like the Sony HS10 doesn't mean you will. That is the one thing I totally HATE when it comes to discussing projectors on this forum. People assume that if one person sees SD or whatever odd else that they will too. That is BS. We all see things differently!!


I don't see sd on my Sanyo z1. 2x screen width away from a 106" diagonal screen. I can sometimes see it on my ae100 even when it is defocussed, and I have the defocus down to perfection. Soooo, obviously I can see it. Based on that, I am quite sure I'd see no SD on the hs10 or any wxga pj. The pixels of the z1 are tiny. They'll be smaller on the hs10 since it has far more pizels.


You know, it amazes me people can actually see it on those high res projectors because my eyesight is not that bad. Maybe they just have amazing eyesight.


But that gets me thinking...htf do ANY of us know those people are actually seeing it? Maybe they "sense" they see it or maybe they see vertical banding. Vertical banding can pass for screendoor to many. As for sensing they can see it, what I mean is that you can look at an image that looks perfectly filled (meaning no gaps between the pixels) but something in your brain knows it is not full like that. your brain knows there are lines there. This happens to me when I have looked at my ae100 from about 25 feet away which is what a little over 3 times the width. I can't see the grid but I can sense something jsut isn't "right"


/end rant


For what its worth, if you truly think that SD is that hrorible and you'll see it on anything, go for a DLP or the Ae300.


And yes, I am speculating the sanyo z1 has better blacks and shadow detail compared to the ae300. However, from what I have read, Sanyo is more accurate with their numbers than Pansonic. So based on that, I am guessing the z1 is better. I wish I could see an Ae300 in action. It was my first choice but I decided to go with the z1 because it was slightly cheaper and IMO, seemed like it would offer just as good a picture and possibly better bt at the expense of the "smooth screen". Plus, the whole thing with that ae300 motion artifact turned me off. I see that people have been able to get rid of it though. cool.


Whatever the case, I know you can't go wrong with the ae300. The ae100 is really ncie for the $$$ so the Ae300 with the upgraded specs has to be amazing for the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the reason why I didn't seriously consider the Z1 was because I have enough money in my budget for the HS10 which in my mind surpasses the Z1 in everything on paper. As to actual performance as you say, it is entirely in the mind of the beholder.


My real dilemma was DLP or LCD and due to my requirements which require long viewing sessions (marathons). I was afraid DLP may become a factor because to me, DLP causes eye fatigue, and headaches. My question though was if the Z90 with its 5x color wheel would be much easier on the eyes. However due to positive statements from AE300 owners on the quality of its black and white output I am going with that pj. Also SD is a very annoying factor with me. I like to view my material at 1.5x the screen distance otherwise it doesn't feel like a movie theater experience to me. While the AE300 is not a perfect pj by any means, it seems to more likely fit my needs than anything else out on the market at the price that I am looking for.


As for the screen artifact of the AE300 many people have said that it is very fleeting and does not happen quite often. To me this is a worthwhile tradeoff for the ability to get as close to the picture as I desire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
How good is your eyesight? Just because Joe Blow says he sees screendoor on like the Sony HS10 doesn't mean you will. That is the one thing I totally HATE when it comes to discussing projectors on this forum. People assume that if one person sees SD or whatever odd else that they will too. That is BS. We all see things differently!!


I don't see sd on my Sanyo z1. 2x screen width away from a 106" diagonal screen. I can sometimes see it on my ae100 even when it is defocussed, and I have the defocus down to perfection. Soooo, obviously I can see it. Based on that, I am quite sure I'd see no SD on the hs10 or any wxga pj. The pixels of the z1 are tiny. They'll be smaller on the hs10 since it has far more pizels.


You know, it amazes me people can actually see it on those high res projectors because my eyesight is not that bad. Maybe they just have amazing eyesight.


But that gets me thinking...htf do ANY of us know those people are actually seeing it? Maybe they "sense" they see it or maybe they see vertical banding. Vertical banding can pass for screendoor to many. As for sensing they can see it, what I mean is that you can look at an image that looks perfectly filled (meaning no gaps between the pixels) but something in your brain knows it is not full like that. your brain knows there are lines there. This happens to me when I have looked at my ae100 from about 25 feet away which is what a little over 3 times the width. I can't see the grid but I can sense something jsut isn't "right"


/end rant




For what its worth, if you truly think that SD is that hrorible and you'll see it on anything, go for a DLP or the Ae300.


And yes, I am speculating the sanyo z1 has better blacks and shadow detail compared to the ae300. However, from what I have read, Sanyo is more accurate with their numbers than Pansonic. So based on that, I am guessing the z1 is better. I wish I could see an Ae300 in action. It was my first choice but I decided to go with the z1 because it was slightly cheaper and IMO, seemed like it would offer just as good a picture and possibly better bt at the expense of the "smooth screen". Plus, the whole thing with that ae300 motion artifact turned me off. I see that people have been able to get rid of it though. cool.


Whatever the case, I know you can't go wrong with the ae300. The ae100 is really ncie for the $$$ so the Ae300 with the upgraded specs has to be amazing for the money.
If you can't see screendoor on an AE100 then you definitely have vision problems! Defocused or not, it's not subtle.



"People assume that if one person sees SD or whatever odd else that they will too. That is BS. We all see things differently!!"


Just like rainbows... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
>>Thanks all. I placed my order for the ae300 today.

Congratulations and welcome to the growing AE300 club :)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top