AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I searched around and didn't see much on this topic, so I thought i'd post it to the masses. I had my iNukes 6K DSPs setup with relays to turn on and off with my AVR, but I wanted a little more control over them (turn the LFE off for you music, and the L&R bass modules + LFE off for watching TV, sports, etc..).

I found these on Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Enerwave-Z-Wave-Wireless-Resistant-Receptacle/dp/B00NX0945G

I ordered up a pair to use with my new Harmony Home remote. The idea is that I will be able to control all of my lights/sub amps with this remote and better tailor to my mood.

I hooked up the new z wave outlets to my Smartthings network and they work great - except for one thing. That NASTY power down thump is happening.

So, question: Does anyone have any ideas how I could eliminate said power down thump?

Should I add external boxes with relays in them that are controlled by my AVR? I'm open to all ideas

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a thread about inuke dsp power down thump, and a way to wire relays into them to shut it off 'smartly'. I'd find it for you, but I gotta run shortly. Use the search ;)
Hey 'Not, thanks for jumping in. I used that in my original setup here:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l-12v-relay-diy-trigger-expansion-module.html

I'd like to keep the stuff external this time, so I'm wondering if there is a simpler (maybe smaller is a better word) solution. From what I can tell, the z wave just instantly cuts power, so I am not sure if the setup above/in the other thread would have much effect. Anyone with an external version know if you just yank the plug from the wall if it'll still thump?

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Hey 'Not, thanks for jumping in. I used that in my original setup here:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l-12v-relay-diy-trigger-expansion-module.html

I'd like to keep the stuff external this time, so I'm wondering if there is a simpler (maybe smaller is a better word) solution. From what I can tell, the z wave just instantly cuts power, so I am not sure if the setup above/in the other thread would have much effect. Anyone with an external version know if you just yank the plug from the wall if it'll still thump?
Without modifying it to cut power by the button first, you're going to be stuck with the thump.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
not sure if it has ever been done, but why couldn't a relay be put in line with the speaker wire. open that one and it wouldn't seem to matter if the amp thumps, the sub wouldn't make a peep.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure if it has ever been done, but why couldn't a relay be put in line with the speaker wire. open that one and it wouldn't seem to matter if the amp thumps, the sub wouldn't make a peep.
You mean adding a 12v relay that opens a switch for each channel of the amp? Hmmm...Interesting idea

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
That's generally what amps do internally. Many of the power switches are not directly connected to the AC power but to a control circuit that controls the O/P speaker relay as well as power to limit on/off thumps especially with high power amps. This may be part of the protection system for the amp and it will also open the speaker relay if a fault is detected.

I've added extra speaker relays for the power amps in my system but that's a large custom ucontroller based system and I'd have no idea how you'd integrate the speaker relay with a commercial power control device.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
^^ Now explain how that MD unit is going to interface with "Wireless Z-Wave technology (Signal Frequency is 908.42 MHz) created a mesh network for command and control interoperability with other Z-Wave compliant controllers" (from link in OP) so that when kmerhar sends a command to the wall outlet telling it to turn off, it will delay that command, then tell the MD isolator to activate the speaker relay output and delay the mains control until that is accomplished?

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
^^ Now explain how that MD unit is going to interface with "Wireless Z-Wave technology (Signal Frequency is 908.42 MHz) created a mesh network for command and control interoperability with other Z-Wave compliant controllers" (from link in OP) so that when kmerhar sends a command to the wall outlet telling it to turn off, it will delay that command, then tell the MD isolator to activate the speaker relay output and delay the mains control until that is accomplished?

if using the zwave swich as the input to the minidsp, then a second relay would seem to do it, no?
so all in: two relays, midi dsp controller, and a 12v wall wart. maybe $50 + time (plus an additional relay for each sub)? not sure what 20 amp relays cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
You'll need to get the mains for the LH relay through a wall outlet to meet code I would assume. I can't see you being able to wire it directly to the mains.

Just noticed on the Amazon page much lower, that only the bottom outlet can be controlled. So run the control from there and the actual switched power for the amp from the top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts