AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a lamp connected to a switched receptacle (half of the outlet is controlled by a light switch on the wall, the other half is always on). I'd like to add a Z-wave plugin lamp dimmer module like the Linear PD300Z-2. I use a GE Simon XT with Alarm.com Z-wave controller. Do you think there will be a problem with the light switch cutting power to the lamp module every time you flip the switch? I want the lamp to work just like any old light switch so as not to upset my wife, so when you switch the light switch on the light goes full on, and then be able to use the z-wave dimmer to dim the light.

Anybody used a z-wave plugin module with an outlet controlled by a light switch? I know I can't use a z-wave light switch.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello,

I have a lamp connected to a switched receptacle (half of the outlet is controlled by a light switch on the wall, the other half is always on). I'd like to add a Z-wave plugin lamp dimmer module like the Linear PD300Z-2. I use a GE Simon XT with Alarm.com Z-wave controller. Do you think there will be a problem with the light switch cutting power to the lamp module every time you flip the switch? I want the lamp to work just like any old light switch so as not to upset my wife, so when you switch the light switch on the light goes full on, and then be able to use the z-wave dimmer to dim the light.

Anybody used a z-wave plugin module with an outlet controlled by a light switch? I know I can't use a z-wave light switch.

Thanks
The functionality you want requires you to replace the switch at the wall with a Z-wave dimmer switch. Before you let out a moan of disappointment, it is a really easy fix. There's plenty of training videos on the net. And once you learn how to do it, you can replace any plug/outlet you want with Z-wave. And it's a much cleaner install IMO. First thing you need to do is see how many wires you have behind the switch. You'll need 3 wires plus ground else you're out of luck.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Omega is right. I have/had several switched outlets in my home and I replaced the wall switches in those rooms with a Z-wave light switch. It was easy to do and it's a more elegant solution for light control in the rooms. And it gets rid of the confusion that can be caused by these switched outlets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe there could be a potential problem if there are multiple outlets in the room that are also switched by this newly installed Z-wave wall switch. I did this once with an X-10 switch and discovered the problem when my wife turned on the wall switch and then without knowing it was a problem, she plugged the vacuum into another outlet on the same switched circuit. With its much higher amperage and wattage, it fried my X-10 wall switch. If the switch controls ONLY the outlet that the lamp is plugged into, then this would be less likely to happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts