AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two Quick Questions. My Z1 gets here Friday (shipped today), paid $1525 plus $25 for overnight shipping, but also got $35 back to spend on anything I wanted for the projector (or the projector itself) in case you wanted to know. I am upgrading from a Sony VPL PX-21, it only has 385 on this bulb, but I was getting annoying dust spots on the LCD's and didnt know how to clean them. SO, i got the Z1, and am selling the PX21 (got a buyer waiting). Is this a mistake? I watch only progscan DVD's on the projector, so though the PX21 was XGA, I wasnt using it all. But the PX21 was 1800 Ansi (1400 on ECO where I ran it). Has video processing in come that far in the Z1? My Sony was somewhere around 400:1 contrast ratio.

Also, a simple question. How high above the line of sight when seated should the screen be. I have a 92" WIDE, 4:3 Dalite screen that I want to still use. My thought was to just pull it down only 52" or so, so I have a 16:9 ratio. 106" diagonal screen. But I fear the picture will be to high above the audiences head. Any check or formula for this? And with a 106"diagonal sitting 15.5' feet from the imade will i be bothered by screen door with the Z1? I never was with my Sony.

This forum is awesome, thanks for the help

·
Registered
697 Posts
With the right set up or an htpc you can get perfect 1:1 pixel mapping, so I hear. That means it is the best picture quality you can get with that res. I have not seen the Z1 but there have been alot of posts about it and so far most of the people havn't been bothered by the screendoor even at 2X screen width away. My eye level on my screen is toward the lower quarter of the screen. I think that it is just a preference issue more than a set standard. I don't think that you made a mistake at all with this projector. Resolution is not what makes the picture great. It's contrast and color reproduction that really make or breaks a projector in my opinion. My ae-100 has a low res, but with the htpc it produces a great picture.

welcome to the forum

brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.